Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge CI on the LBGE

Options
I'm looking for something to cook with the new Lodge Cask Iron skillets.  Any suggestions?
Retired Navy, LBGE
Pinehurst, NC

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    This might not get lots of traction because people here love their spatched birds, but I love whole roasted chicken.  Get the egg to 425-450 and preheat the skillet for about 20-35 minutes, then put the bird in and let it go for about 50 minutes, until the IT is 161 in the breast.

I like herb salt and pepper on the skin and stuffing with lemon quarters and 2-3 stems of fresh rosemary.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Acn said:
    This might not get lots of traction because people here love their spatched birds, but I love whole roasted chicken.  Get the egg to 425-450 and preheat the skillet for about 20-35 minutes, then put the bird in and let it go for about 50 minutes, until the IT is 161 in the breast.

I like herb salt and pepper on the skin and stuffing with lemon quarters and 2-3 stems of fresh rosemary.
    You can still spatch a bird and use CI.  I prefer this method anyway.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Cornbread

Cobbler

Cowboy potatoes, parcooked chopped taters with onion, jalapeno, bacon.  Sprinkle with a light dusting of flour to help with the crunch.

Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

Brenda takes the MN hotdish to another level with heat, and making a gravy instead of canned soup.  A fun cooktop to egg/oven cook.  Used Oreida Extra Crispy tots.  Bumped up the temp to 420 or so raised indirect, and let it cruise up to 450s 460s towards the end.  Jalapenos are on the side.  Next time, I plan on using ground venison.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/kicked-up-tator-tot-hotdish/

Have always wanted to try the old school Pizza Hut clone in a CI skillet that gets passed around here.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Look up smash burgers on the forum.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    edited August 2016
    Options
    with 2 skillets you can press paninis between them, you can do pizzas in them with the cheese spread out to the edges, you can cook bangers and mash in them.

meat pies

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

I made a quick skillet chili the other day. 

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    I used my large CI to fry chicken the other night.  It was great!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I usually put on a CI pan of something to work as a side or topping for whatever I may be cooking. Steak gets mushrooms and onions. Pork Chops get sliced onions, apples, sage, garlic, and a little chicken broth, Chicken gets fingerling potatoes, carrots, celery, onions. Get creative. I am always cooking a pan of something as a side or topping. I put it on the grill right next to whatever I am cooking. Just have to work out the times for when you start it so they both finish together. 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As I thought about your question, I remembered this cook. CI pan seared chicken. I use a 13" lodge skillet with the handle bob'd off. You don't spatch the chicken, but you splay it, leaving the backbone in tact.  Make a slit into the thigh joint and then pull down the leg to break the joint and make it lay flat. A little olive oil in the pan, drop the chicken in, and add some veggies along the way; so they don't over cook. I cook this between 425 and 450, indirect, and using a probe to pull the bird at 170 in the thigh joint. Great cook, and really fun, very impressive if you have guests over. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks great @keepervodeflame !  I may do that in my dutch oven, uncovered.   Do you ever (or have you thought about) giving it a brief cook top-side down to brown the skin and then flipping it for the long cook?
    LBGE/Maryland