Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bothers your stomach?

dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
Odd subject... have never used oak til recently. Have tried it 3 times now...all on beef. All 3 times my stomach starts feeling "off". Kinda feels a bit like heartburn. Anybody else? 

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Seems quite strange that smoke would affect you.  Hard to say what would cause that.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    No, but personally I do not care for the taste of oak smoke on my food.  I used to burn oak almost exclusively in our fireplace and smoke that way never bothered me, but on my food now?no way! It's a shame in a way as our woods are 80% red and white oaks so it is always readily available to me.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like oak on brisket and in a slightly lighter amount in my beef ribs. Like everything, eat what you like. If it doesn't agree with your taste or other senses, don't use it. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    RRP said:
    No, but personally I do not care for the taste of oak smoke on my food.  I used to burn oak almost exclusively in our fireplace and smoke that way never bothered me, but on my food now?no way! It's a shame in a way as our woods are 80% red and white oaks so it is always readily available to me.
    Have looked for oak to burn in our Reverse Flow, have never seen any. Have only seen oaks available in one nursery. In talking with the nursery staff they told me that the seller very few of them...

I think I may try oak once more prior to giving up on it. 
  • I get heartburn drinking Maalox. Wrong person to ask. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Oak is fairly neutral especially white oak. I use it for everything in my vertical when I run splits in it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Doug, fwiw, I use oak with beef on the egg, and oak splits as the sole fuel on the stickburner.  I wonder if something else could be causing your trouble?  Hope you figure it out.

Phoenix 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Just wondering if it's a baby Einstein effect.. Classical music study on babies, etc.. Ya know, classical music doesn't actually make your kids smart, it's parents that listen to classical music tend to be smart, and genes and sh!t, so kids are smart too.  I listen to Metallica and Sonic Youth, pick my nose, etc.  My kids are criminals. 

I haven't laughed like this in a long, long time!  :lol:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    I haven't noticed a difference between smokes.  However, while I love the taste of raw onions, my stomach does NOT; I blow up like a Hindenberg and end up blowing the blankets off the bed.  Cooked onions are fine.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Not an oak fan, but I have had no ill effects from it. I have used it several times, trying to dial in the flavor, just not getting it. My go to chips are sugar maple, pecan, and peach. Occasionally I will use apple and cherry. I hardly ever use hickory, never use mesquite.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I recently discovered that a lot of guacamole and Corona-Ritas leads to a production of noxious fumes that have to be measured by the cubic yard...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Are you taking any new medication? Friend of mine just started some new meds and he can't stand the taste of some of his old favorite foods.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I have never used oak in chunk form for smoke in my kamados or other cookers so I have no idea what the results might be.

I use mostly oak in stick burner cooks with some occasional cherry or hickory.

Interesting that there would seem to be such a difference in taste/opinions when smoldering vs. open fire usage.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    +1 what someone else said.... The point of brisket my stomach has a hard time eating, unless it's cubed to burnt ends and smoked longer to render way more fat.  About 6 hours after I eat brisket point my stomach starts getting really messed up.

Oh yeah.... oak sucks anyways ;)   

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Was there bark on the wood? Maybe the bark left a bad flavor that your stomach didn't like.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.