Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
First pizza, new egg owner. Spent the week cooking on the egg and fell in love! After making burgers, ribs, chicken, steaks, brats, and meatloaf...day 7 was PIZZA! Used the 72 hour dough recipe and it turned out really well. Cooked at 500-550 dome temp (with about an hour to pre-heat). Used parchment and turned and pulled at 4 minutes, pulled the pizzas at 7 minutes. Dough was fabulous.  Thanks to everyone who posts here, I have spent two weeks reading and learning!
EggMcMcc
Central Illinois
First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Great looking pizza well done. And welcome.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Great start for a great hobby! Continued good cooks on ya!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome, great looking pizza! 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    good looking pie right there! Nicely done

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice pie brother!  Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Way to go... Nice pie!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hotwingking
    Options
    Good looking pie :)
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks for the praise. Planning to make pizza a Saturday ritual for a while until I perfect it!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. Good looking 1st Za. 
    Not busting on you but, is this set-up the new way people are told to do it?...  PS legs up, grid and then stone?  Just curious. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggMcMic
    Options
    From what I read it seems people are split on the PS legs up or down. I wanted to try to get it as high up as I could so I went with the legs up and the PS not in the notches in the fire ring (gain an inch), the grid upside down (gain 1/8"). It worked for me but maybe next time I will try with legs down to see if there is a difference.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Fair enough @EggMcMic
    I've always set-up this way for baking. With this configuration I get up into the dome. I've seen consistent positive results doing so. 

My understanding is doing it the way you are there is less risk of ceramics breaking. :i_dunno:  I could be mistaken though. Either way as long as the end product tastes good who gives a rat's ass right. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Make sure to create an air gap between the PS and stone when switching over to legs down. @EggMcMic
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggMcMic
    Options
    Got it. Will the grid work? Or should I do the tinfoil balls?
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've never done it with the grid. You can use pretty much anything. I use copper fittings. Just make sure the stone is stable. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Fair enough @EggMcMic
    I've always set-up this way for baking. With this configuration I get up into the dome. I've seen consistent positive results doing so. 

My understanding is doing it the way you are there is less risk of ceramics breaking. :i_dunno:  I could be mistaken though. Either way as long as the end product tastes good who gives a rat's ass right. 
    Risk is to the gasket. With your Rutland, it's a mute issue. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pizza looks great. I have done legs up and down and prefer legs up as the stone doesn't get the radiant heat from the platesetter as bad. Also with the set up you did you can put something on the grate to raise the stone even more like a spring form pan. The higher you get in the dome the more it will brown the top of your pizza.
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    Plan on trying this for the first time this weekend.  No time to do the 72 hour dough, but the local pizzeria sells theirs, so I will do that the next time.

For the people using parchment paper and then taking out halfway, are you still putting cornmeal/flour on the stone before the parchment and pizza?
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Nole_Fan said:

For the people using parchment paper and then taking out halfway, are you still putting cornmeal/flour on the stone before the parchment and pizza?
    NO.  Choose only one of semolina, cornmeal, flour, or parchment.  Use only on the peel - never on the stone.  The only purpose for using any of these is to provide for low friction between the dough and the peel - so the pizza will slide off the peel.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    Ok, so removing the parchment paper halfway through should yield me no problem getting it off with the peel when done?

Thanks!
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Raw dough will stick to the stone and cannot be moved.  Once the dough cooks, it will release and be able to be moved and removal will not be a problem.  Parchment will be ready to remove after a couple of minutes.  The exposed parchment will burn if left in long enough - I am not a fan of parchment ash as a pizza topping.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EggMcMic
    Options
    I agree with @jtcBoynton on the parchment ash. I use it to get it off the peel, leave it on for the first 4 minutes, rotate the pizza with it (to avoid hot spots) and then pull the old table cloth trick and rip it out!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use legs up, CI grate and then this little extender purchased on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G47TPOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

only $14.50 shipping included if you are an Amazon prime member...not bad at all. I use it in my medium egg, but you could also use it in larger eggs. My 12" pizza stone fits with room to spare, possibly you could use one as large as 13 inches...

Oh, and remember, you are only purchasing the elevator, NOT the grid they also have in the picture...a bit misleading...

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use a Superpeel to deploy, works well. Easily found with Google and Amazon.

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk