Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking in the Little Griddle

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
So I'm not going to be getting a Blackstone anytime soon, just don't have the space for it.  But I did pick up the little griddle for the LBGE.  Broke it in the other day with smashburgers, could have smashed a bit more, but they were still really tasty.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Acn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Followed that up tonight by taking advantage of the wife and kid not being around.  Marinated pork belly strips in a combination of gochujong, canola, soy, fish sauce, grated ginger and garlic.

Griddled that up, and served with brown rice and green beans that had been cooked with some doenjang and grated garlic, thinned out with some chicken broth.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks like some good eats.  Like the looks of your new griddle 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Legit brother!  Love the Blackstone but your cooks totally compensate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks great.  I like the griddle...I've been wanting to get one. 

Not familiar with the couple of Asian spices you mention...I will search them out !!!!

Thanks for posting !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Acn
    Options
    Thanks all!

@dldawes1 - gochujang is a fermented red chili paste, I really like using it because it offers some funk and depth that you don't usually find with spicy ingredients.  

Doenjang is a fermented soybean paste - kind of a Korean miso, but with a deeper flavor than a white miso.  It also has a texture I really like - almost like chunky peanut butter, some bits of soybean aren't fully broken down, so you get a salty bite - if you look closely at the green beans above, you can see them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've already been shopping this morning !!!!!

Thanks again friend !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!