Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing Steak (Food Lab Guy)

Options
I'm pretty sure others saw his searing a steak experiment. Looks like the best one was using a starter chimney. Anyone do it this way, or do most of y'all just crank the egg up

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the way an egg is built, it is a big fancy ceramic stater chimney =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjsp
    tjsp Posts: 48
    Options
    I have seen this same video for searing post Sous Vide. When I want to sear a steak on an open flame like that, I get the egg up to 650-700 and once that is stabilized for about 5-10min, I burp, then open, put the steak on the middle back portion of the grill with lid open. Leave on there for about 4-5min a side depending on the thickness and flip. You get some great direct flame kissing the meat for a good charbroil. Best technique that I have found other than doing a cast iron skillet with some oil for a "crust". I only do this method for Ribeye, Porterhouse, New York's. Filets are always done the cast iron route due to the lack of fat. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I want to get a single burner hot plate for outdoor searing of sous vide stuff or maybe smashburgers. I would use a gasser sideburner, if I had a gasser. =) Either would be ready to go in a fraction of the time needed to get lump hot. Could be used for the searing part of a reverse sear too. Cook on the egg, move it to the CI on the hot plate instead of wasting lump or waiting for the egg to get hot.

Charcoal offers nothing for such a short "cook"... except it saves the smoke alarm batteries. I hate to smoke up the house or crank up the grill, or even the chimney starter, just for a sear. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    I want to get a single burner hot plate for outdoor searing of sous vide stuff or maybe smashburgers. I would use a gasser sideburner, if I had a gasser. =) Either would be ready to go in a fraction of the time needed to get lump hot. Could be used for the searing part of a reverse sear too. Cook on the egg, move it to the CI on the hot plate instead of wasting lump or waiting for the egg to get hot.

Charcoal offers nothing for such a short "cook"... except it saves the smoke alarm batteries. I hate to smoke up the house or crank up the grill, or even the chimney starter, just for a sear. 

Induction burner is a good choice for what you want to do. Perfect for CI cookware. It is also a safe way to deep fry!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm very happy with "regular" searing over charcoal in my BGEs. I usually sear at 650° or so, a minute a side, and I like the result.  I swear it just tastes better to me than searing in a skillet.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

i bought the 17 inch blackstone for 49.99 delivered a while back off amazon. smashburgers from fridge to plate is a couple minutes including plates condiments etc, i keep the burger in the 2 inch balls in the fridge. i used high heat so much i warped it and they sent me a second griddle top if i want to cook say pancakes =) the bigger ones are nicer but the 17 works well for 2 to 3 people, i dont cook more than 4 smashburgers at a time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Carolina Q look at Nuwave induction eyes. Can find them around $50 on Amazon occasionally. That and a CI pan can put one mean sear on some protein.