Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Food Holding Question

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So tomorrow is the only day I have to smoke 3 Boston Butts before getting in the car early Friday morning for an 8 1/2 hr car ride. The pork will be served Saturday afternoon. Am I better off pulling, vacuum sealing and holding in the refrigerator, or should I vacuum seal and freeze? I am leaning towards freezing as it will be easier to maintain food safe temps for the long car ride. 

I do not own a Yeti, but I have several coolers that can keep ice for the drive. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Mike
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• I just did the same and ended up freezing. Results were fantastic. 
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    I cooked two butts a week early for my daughter's housewarming party. Cooked, pulled, sealed, froze. Dropped the bags into boiling water to heat and served in crock pots. One of the guest asked I got so much flavor in "crock pot" pulled pork...
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards freezing but didn't want to sacrifice quality if possible. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Pull, vac, and freeze.  It'll be good and juicy since you won't lose much of the natural juices.  I've even gone and made smaller "portion" size baggies so I can nuke at 30% power for a couple of minutes and its just like its fresh pulled.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!