Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Overdue - The Heat Finally Blinked

Options
After 2 1/2 months in the mid to upper 90's and 100's, it finally cooled down to the lower 90's and I grilled. Can't take the heat like I used to. Didn't get plated pics because I was gasping in front of a fan during the resting phase. Trust me, I think it was the best steak I have ever had. Of course, that could have been heat delirium. Come on fall!

Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great marbling on those cuts.  I'm sure it was a banquet.  You just need to keep over-hydrated with adult beverages when dealing with the heat.  ;)  
    BTW-I will take the heat over the cold every day of the year.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dredger
    As always, nothing short of spectacular sister. I feel your pain on the heat. It's been brutal down here this summer. I'm hoping and praying for a cooler fall and winter than we had last year. We did not have one day time temp at or below freezing last year. That was a first in my lifetime. Just judging by the summer temps, it looks like we are in for another Christmas in shorts and muscle shirts. 
    Again, great looking grub sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    You just need to keep over-hydrated with adult beverages when dealing with the heat.   

@lousubcap, that must have been where I went wrong. I usually only do wine with steaks. Should have added something else, lol. Like lemon seltzer water and vodka. That would have saved the day. At least, I wouldn't have minded getting so hot. I'm a fall, winter, spring kind of gal. Absolutely despise the heat. That being said, the steaks were fantastic. Sorry for no plated pics, but it was a perfect medium rare. Will do better next time.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks, @SGH, the steaks were outstanding. Hoping you have a decent fall and winter too. If we didn't have decent winters, we'd be moving north. Elevation is they key, but North Carolina property taxes are outrageous as well as property values. The taxes on our NC house were four times what we pay now. A little less square footage, but a very nice area. Go figure. Plus their summers are as brutal as ours. Ah well. Growing up in the 50's, we had leaves changing in September and it wasn't uncommon to have snow on Easter. Oh for the good ole days.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Growing up in the 50's, we had leaves changing in September and it wasn't uncommon to have snow on Easter. Oh for the good ole days.
    We never had the snow, but back in the 70's it would start turning cool in September. Now the first 2 weeks of September is usually some of our hottest weather. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Yeah I've been using my waffle maker because it doesn't heat up the house and it isn't outside! Two more months of heat to go.
  • SGH
    Options
    Two more months of heat to go.
    Agree. We usually do not get any kind of a break from the heat until late October or early November. And even then it's still stupid hot most days. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You don't have to shovel heat or deal with ice-heat every day works for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dredger
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy, have you tried a pressure cooker? You can cook all kinds of things in those marvelous machines and a bonus is they generate very little heat. I also use my rice cookers for a lot of things other than rice. No heat generated in the kitchen there either.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have a pressure cooker. The heat kills my appetite for heavy hot food also.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Some say the world will end in fire
    some say in ice
    from what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those that favor fire.
    But if I had to perish twice
    I think I know enough of hate
    to say that for destruction ice
    is also great
    and would suffice.