Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready to move. Need advice on moving my egg.

Options
It is only 4 miles. Should I let the movers move it? Borrow a Pick up and strap it down really tight? Take the Guts out? What do you guys think?

Suwanee, GA

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    There is no way I would let movers move it. Take the guts out and put in your trunk and strap the base into your car. Or, rent a truck, disassemble and put on a pallet, plastic wrapped. 
    My dad brought me my egg like that and it traveled 800 miles just fine. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• sierrahotel
    Options
    Just for a counterpoint, movers packed and shipped mine from Alaska to Houston with nary a scratch. I disassembled into the components, they packed and shipped.  OTH, 4 miles is not a long way - break it down yourself and bring it over piece by piece in your car or truck if need be.

Good luck with the move.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I let the movers move mine from Chicago to Austin. No problems and if there were, it was insured. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Boileregger
    Options
    I moved from Dallas to Seattle.  Mine is in a nest so I put a nest handler on it before the big day.  I explained the fragility and the ceramic guts to the movers.  They took one of those big heavy moving blankets and stuffed it in the inside to keep things from moving around.  I supervised loading and unloading and reminded everyone to pull and not push.

I worried about it while in transit but everything turned out fine.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I moved my Dads LBGE in june about 40 miles and i removed the dome and was able to move the whole thing in my Prius
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • wmcguire93
    wmcguire93 Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My large has been moved twice by movers, and I did not have any issues.  My egg was transported in a nest only for both moves.  I would recommend taking the firebox out and wrapping it in bubble wrap or an old towel (what I used).

My first move was a two hour drive.  The second move was from Georgia to Texas.

If you choose to use movers, ask about high value insurance.  We typically insure all high dollar valuables... and the egg.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Did not this time but in past vacation at least 4 times trips TX to Seaside, FL 800 miles each way. 
    I slip cardboard inntween the guts and outer shell. Lay a peace of cardboard between the lid and bottom. Strap it in and go. No problem ever. 
    Also when we move Eggs at a fest we just load on a trailer and drive careful about two miles (that is 40 eggs times 5 years and no problem with no cardboard ). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you move it and it breaks, it's on you. If they break it, you get a new egg. Seems like a no brainer. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    If you move it and it breaks, it's on you. If they break it, you get a new egg. Seems like a no brainer. 
    Depends on the mover chosen, and the insurance chosen. Most movers basic insurance is .60 a lb. An egg would need high value or full replacement insurance. And at that point the moving company may insist on a 3rd party company crating it.  
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Depends on the mover chosen, and the insurance chosen. Most movers basic insurance is .60 a lb. An egg would need high value or full replacement insurance. And at that point the moving company may insist on a 3rd party company crating it.  
    Yup. I had to sign a waiver saying they wouldn't be responsible. Took matters into my own hands, lifted that ufcker up and put it in the back of the suv.  I was about 8 miles away. 4 is just fine
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Absolutely DO NOT let the movers touch it. My dad - who lives 1300 miles away from me let his movers move his as he can't lift it. They were wheeling it down the ramp and the wheel caught and Humpty Dumpty shattered.  When he asked about his insurance coverage they said we'll send you a check. He got the check and it was for $57.  They don't have replacement cost as it just went by weight or something.  He was really pissed as it was completely useless and $57 will only buy a few bags of charcoal.  

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I trust things that aren't that important to me (like pine straw) to others and pay them to handle it for me (such as the pine straw man).  However, the things that are very much important to me ... I take care of them myself.  It's up to you, but I'd move my own egg.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I move guns, ammo, food, family heirlooms, and pictures. 

Everything else is expendable as long as your movers have insurance. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I move guns, ammo, food, family heirlooms, and pictures. 

Everything else is expendable as long as your movers have insurance. 
    No kidding, I am with you!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I would not trust the movers.  I'd do like said above and pad and pack.  Move it late the first night you can get access to the new place, set it up, and have a butt or brisket rolling for the second day move-in process!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Put it on a trailer and go to the new place.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Movers only pay pennies on the dollar if anything when they break stuff. I wrapped the internals in moving blankets, removed the dome and put both it and the inverted bottom on a blanket in the truck. A strap held them to the side and a blanket kept them from banging on the wheel well. It may have been a lot of work for only 25 miles, but I still have an egg.
    Cooking on the coast