Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Lost a friend

Options
Over dinner tonight the wife and I found out we lost a beloved friend in a bicycle accident that's hit us hard. I just wanted to reach out to everyone to say take a minute and hug those that are close to you and let them know how much you love them. Life is short and time with your loved ones is short. Be safe out there and enjoy each moment and every morning. Sorry but needed to vent to my egg community. He loved his egging as much as we do even though he wasn't here on the forum. 
Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry but needed to vent to my egg community. 
    No need to apologize, quite the contrary. Vent all that want my friend. And I'm certainly sorry to hear of your friends passing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. You and the family will be in thoughts and prayers. 
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Tragic loss.  So, so sorry.  Cyclist fatalities are increasing in IA, stupid drivers using smartphones.  Counted 3 idiots on my way home from work the other day.
    One of our former Cardiac docs got hit Easter weekend.  He's worked so hard to recover.

An accident causing bodily harm by distracted driving should be an automatic felony IMO.  

Even the bikepaths aren't safe from stupidity.  About creamed a toddler at 14mph who's mom let him run free on a "bike trail".   Most people anymore are so, so stupid.  The Bizzo received a few choice words.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.  I know how you feel.  I lost a good friend 4 years ago in a fatal bicycle accident.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family and your friends family.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Sorry to read that.  Thoughts and prayers to you, your family and his family.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Focker - I don't believe the stupid meter has really moved much but the self-centered universe has certainly taken over.   "It's all about me is the norm."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Each day is a blessing. Thanks for the reminder.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Thinking of you and your friends family.  It's never easy to lose a friend, either suddenly or otherwise.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Gut punch

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow isn't promised. As Charlie Daniels Tweets every single day, "Let's all make the day count". 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    So sorry for your loss... Prayers lifted !!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm so sorry.  :-(  I hope you find comfort in memories of happier times. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Sorry for your loss brother. I have a cousin that is really big into cycling, always makes me think to give them a little bit more room when I pass one on the road. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Our expiration date isn't stamped on us unfortunately.  Gotta love all you can. 

So sorry for your loss. We're not just an Egg community,  we're like family. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... We have a great community here online.
    Franklin, Tn

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Just gave my wife and son an extra hug. 

So so sorry for your loss!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options

Hi @TN_Sister_State,

I too am sorry about your loss. 

Although I didn’t know Brian personally, I knew him indirectly through some of my friends and within the cycling community here in Franklin.  As it turns out I was riding in Lieper’s Fork Saturday morning too.  Although I was with a different group, we passed several other riders and I’m sure that I waived “hi” to him at some point that morning.  Our group also went down that same fatal descent Saturday on our ride.  It’s a very steep hill with a bend to the left and it has scared me each of the few times I’ve gone down it.  We probably missed him by 30 minutes or less.

This incident has me planning to avoid that section from now on, and your words ring true about the unknown of the future and taking stock of your friends and family today.

Again, I’m sorry for your loss

--Brad

Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    @wbradking small world. Thanks for the words. He was a great guy that would do anything for anyone. 
    Franklin, Tn

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. My wife & I just moved to Murfreesboro and are big into cycling and planning to look for a house in Franklin in a few months. We've been riding Veteran's Parkway which seems pretty safe since it's a very wide road without much traffic, but you always have to be wary of distracted drivers when riding.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    So sorry to hear this tragic news.  It's why I gave up cycling on the roadways.  Very sad.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Our expiration date isn't stamped on us unfortunately.  
    Sadly this is so true brother Tar. Our fate is unknown. Every time I hear of a needless death, a passage from the Masonic Burial Rites rings even louder and more true. I will humbly and respectively share it here.

We are again called upon to consider the uncertainty of human life, the immutable certainly of death, and the vanity of all human pursuits. Decrepitude and decay are written upon every living thing. The cradle and the coffin stand very near to each other; and it is a melancholy truth, that as soon as we begin to live, that moment also we begin to die. It is passing strange that notwithstanding the daily mementos of mortality that cross our path, notwithstanding the funeral bell so often tolls in our ears and the "mournful procession" goes about our streets, that we will not more seriously consider our approaching fate. We go on from design to design, add hope to hope, and lay out our plans for the employment of many years, until we are suddenly alarmed at the approach of the messenger of Death, at a moment when we least expect him, and which we probably conclude to be the meridian of our existence. 

The above really hits home with me every time I hear of some avoidable incident.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    @SGH. Thanks for posting that. Very sobering words. My father was a life long Mason and Scottish Rite.
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Sorry for the loss of your friend.  Probably a very needless death.  Prayer for you and their family

Focker said:
    "Even the bikepaths aren't safe from stupidity.  About creamed a toddler at 14mph who's mom let him run free on a "bike trail".   Most people anymore are so, so stupid.  The Bizzo received a few choice words."
    .... and that is why we ride our trikes ever deeper on the older county roads.  They are not the best maintained but we are still young enough to pass a tractor.  Even the wide texas shoulders are not safe anymore.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, no need to apologize. You and his family will be be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• SGH
    Options
    REB17 said:
    @SGH. Thanks for posting that. Very sobering words. My father was a life long Mason and Scottish Rite.
    My pleasure sir. And I agree, the words really hit home if you take the meaning to heart. I'm glad to hear that you father was a brother Mason. Sadly we seem to be a dwindling crowd.  

Status- Standing by.