Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Fishlessman or other NEer's pick up the White Courtesy Phone - OT

Options
Leaving for the NE this Sunday and be in Maine about Thursday. Going to visit a pal in Gray and likely staying in the Portland area. Going to Acadia NP, some lighthouse photos will be taken and LLBean for sure. Any other must see things? Any suggestions as to where to purchase frozen lobster tails and dry ice for the trip back to Iowa, don't think the live ones would fare to well after a few days on the road coming home.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    its been 25 years since doing any of those things =) downtown portland has the bars and bands, used to jusst walk down the historic strip,find the music i liked and drank there. 3 dollar deweys was day drinking, big beaten up tables, hope they didnt clean it up. never did the coast north of there. buy 20 lobsters, cook and eat some at your friends house, freeze them there =)lobster is cheaper slightly inland than right on the coast, your friend should know where to pick up fresh ones in or near gray. cheapest place for lobster will be the market basket in biddeford right off the exit on 93, probably 3.99/4.99 a pound about now, not as good as the pounds where fresh stuff comes in daily. i really never hit nice resteraunts =) i sent mickey to the clamshack in kennebunkport, best shack i know, its a good day trip.
    @jstroke used to live further north
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I had my legitimate Louisiana driver's license confiscated in Portland Old Town for being a fake, shortly after I turned 21.   It took about an hour with a Maine state trooper to get it back (and the bar still wouldn't let me in and serve me).
    NOLA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Drink lots of Allagash!
    http://www.allagash.com/
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Anywhere on the coast - especially at a clam shack or spot for Lobstah rolls with a view!  Lived outside of Boston for 11 years - miss the NH and Maine coast and food
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Allagash Curieux!! This is some killer beer!!!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @Hotch, that is one serious arsenal! 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Drink lots of Allagash!
    http://www.allagash.com/
    IMHO, Maine Beer is slightly better than Allagash, especially when you get really fresh bottles.  Their tasting room is just south of the Bean's flagship in Freeport on Rt. 1.

Tons of great food in Portland, start with Becky's Diner for breakfast.  Fore Street is a fantastic restaurant, Central Provisions is really good too.  Eventide for oysters (hot take - Northern oysters are brinier and tastier than southern oysters).  You should definitely try Duckfat for lunch, they have the best poutine I've had in the US and definitely try the original milkshake.

Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is good, it is on the mainland just before crossing the bridge onto Mount Desert Island.  Lots of towns along the mid-coast are great - Camden is one of my favorites. 

When you go to Acadia, do all the standard stuff (Cadillac, Bubble Rock, the carriage roads, etc), but also try to get over to Schoodic Point, it is a new part of the park that is on the mainland, and really demonstrates the rocky coast idea.  Thunder Hole can be kind of blah, unless the weather is rough, and then it can be impressive, but also dangerous, there are kids who get swept away every few years.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ^^^^That photo is at Schoodic Point from about 3 weeks ago.  You can message me with any other questions if you'd like - I grew up around Bangor, around 45 minutes from Acadia.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Maine Beer - beer called Lunch is excellent - The tap room has a beer called Dinner only available there supposedly.

Garnerville, NY
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thanks for the info @Acn. I'll look for it next time I'm in Chicago. Where I'm at I can only get the run of the mill craft beers. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Bissel Brothers is also making some really good brew, Foundation as well... I'll second the poutine at Duckfat, awesome stuff. I'm sure Fore St is still good too.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am on a doctor supervised weight loss program so no beer and very low carbs. I would love to try them but am at -55 lbs so far and cannot fall off now. I really appreciate the places to see.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Becky's Dinner is a must and get the wild blueberry pancakes (there 2 weeks ago).  

@fishlessman sent me to Kennybunkport. It's a must. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Cape Neddick Lobster roll and wild Maine blueberry ice cream ine b

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bettysnephew
    Options
    @Mickey
    @fishlessman
    Is the Clam Shack located in Kennebunckport? I found a website for Becky's Diner in Portland.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey
    @fishlessman
    Is the Clam Shack located in Kennebunckport? I found a website for Becky's Diner in Portland.
    On the bridge between Kennybunkport and Kennybunk. Where the pic of wife and daughter are standing

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Allagash Curieux!! This is some killer beer!!!!
    This.  Buy as much as you can fit in your car.  @Hotch (and many others) will help you drink it all.

Also, one of the most interesting things we did there was the ranger-guided walking tour of Rockefeller's Bridges in Acadia.  Really educational and interesting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    In Portland go here. Well worth the free tour and free beer. 

• Mickey
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Very interesting find was Bath, Maine. They are building the newest Navy stealth destroyers and you can see them by boat or from the bridge. VERY COOL. WhEn we were there a couple of weeks age there were two. You have to look close as they do not look like ships. 

• bettysnephew
    Options
    @Mickey
    I was there several years back when they were just starting to build that type of ship, probably a slightly earlier version but it had the sloped sides. . I was at a BMW motorcycle rally on Pelican Island and another rider worked at the shipyard and took me and a Coastie buddy over to see one. Very impressive.
    Thanks for the info on the Crab Shack.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Thanks to all for suggestions, I will check once more this evening and be leaving at Zero Dark Thirty tomorrow morning.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am on a doctor supervised weight loss program so no beer and very low carbs. I would love to try them but am at -55 lbs so far and cannot fall off now. I really appreciate the places to see.
    Congrats on the -55!!! Have a fun vacation!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    @RRP
    Thanks, still have a long way to go for goal. Just got to make sure I don't put it all back on from too much lobster!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    @RRP
    Thanks, still have a long way to go for goal. Just got to make sure I don't put it all back on from too much lobster!
    It's not the lobster, but all the sneaky butter they need! ;) Honestly - I wish you well on your continued weight loss. I dropped 35 myself on doctor's order some 12 years ago and have learned to maintain my weight without ever feeling the least bit deprived! It's a mind changing effort in conjunction with the diet. 
    Have a GREAT vacation!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.