Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Roast Chicken?

Options
Hey Eggers,

I need some suggestions for the best way to roast a chicken.  Looking for moistness and nice crispy skin.  I'm also going to put a pan of potatoes and onions on the plate setter to catch the drippings.  Man I'm getting hungry!

Looking for suggestions on:

-  Dome temp:
-  IT:
-  Wood or just lump:
-  Baste or no baste:  
-  Butterfly or no:

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    400 raised direct
    155 breast, 170ish thigh
    Some light wood - careful!
    No
    Yes
    NOLA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm a big fan of splayed chicken in CI skillet

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196535/ci-splayed-chicken#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    What's confusing about chicken on the Egg is that practically everybody loves chicken cooked on the Egg, and it often seems like everybody does it differently, and no matter what, it's always good!  So it's hard to recommend a one best way.

You got a "no" on butterflying it, above, and my own sense of it is that most people here seem to think spatchcocking it works out the best, which I think is the same as butterflying it.  I've roasted them whole, tried a vertical roaster, cooked separate pieces, and spatchcocked them, liked them all, but for myself I do think I like spatchcocking them the best.  I think the vertical roaster (beer can style) is my least favorite -- it puts the breasts in the hotter part of the Egg, which is backward, and on my vertical roaster thing, anyway, trying to put the bird on it upside down with the legs up just was too clumsy.

I've usually done them hot but indirect and have been very happy, but I do think most people do them raised direct.

I have never added any wood to a "plain" bird, but often have added wood if I was doing a jerk chicken recipe.

Internal temps are tricky.  I agree with @buzd504 above on the breasts, but 170 is a minimum temp for me on the thighs and drumsticks, and it's hard to go higher than that and still get the breasts as low as 155 or even 160.  I don't think I've ever had chicken from my Eggs that I thought was dry, though, even if, according to temp, they were a little overcooked.  My wife prefers her chicken WAY cooked, I like my white meat more like 155 or so, but again, for me, 170 is probably the minimum I shoot for on dark meat.  We're all different -- pick something for this first time, and then decide how YOU like it.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Buz has the right answer
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I go 165F internal on the breast and 375 direct at the felt-line on a MM (pictured below with a Jamaican jerk marinade), otherwise same as @buzd504 does.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spatch
    New Albany, Ohio 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Spatchcock is my favourite way of cooking chicken.  Chicken thighs are hard to beat as well.

• BBQbutler
    Options
    The only way to go!!  I brined chicken for years.  This is better!
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Love spatchcocked
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.