Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to beef ribs.....

Options

So I had a local beef guy get me some short ribs. I have never eaten one of these, much less cooked them. Rubbed with Dizzy Espresso only, and been on the grill 3 hours at 275. I just probed and they are very stiff. Is this normal, or should I wrap with some liquid? Thanks in advance for any guidance. I am leaning towards letting them roll for a couple more hours, but I have nothing to do but drink beer and second guess myself. 

LBGE

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Let them roll.  Cook them like a brisket.  They will get tender at some point - usually around 190-200.  Wrap is OK if you want and might speed up the cook. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They aren't done yet. If you have the time, just let them roll. You can wrap with some braising liquid to speed them up if you want. I would say foil for an hour or so, then back out to let the bark set up again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Ok may foil them for a bit. Was thinking about some butcher paper with a little Worcestershire. I had planned on about 5 hours of cook time. 
    LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ok may foil them for a bit. Was thinking about some butcher paper with a little Worcestershire. I had planned on about 5 hours of cook time. 
    Yep, if you want them finished in the next two hours, wrap them for an hour now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Got them wrapped in butcher paper and going for the hour. Thanks for the help @DMW
    LBGE
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I'll have to try some beef ribs, never had them, but they are looking good!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    250 indirect for 4.5 hours, sauce, if desired, for another 30. Next time, try and find grass fed. More $$ but worth it, 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Wherever you land with ribs, go til they pass the toothpick test.  With chuck short ribs I generally see 6+ hours at around 250*F on the dome til finished (no foil).  Brisket on a stick.  I'm sure they were great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.