Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wings from RD ??

Options
XLentEGG
XLentEGG Posts: 436
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
A man can only search so many pages for so long...... So I will just bring it here.
 I am thinking about getting a 40# box of wings tomorrow from RD and then vac packing them for the freezer. Can someone please tell me what I can expect to pay , and for how many wings? Anyone brought home a box of these ? I will be looking for whole Jumbo wings...Thanx !
More meat please !! :-)

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Got to RD and buy them. I but fresh jumbo's but my guess 40 lbs will cost about $25-$35. Just a guess. 

Why can't you buy fresh when you want to cook wings?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• XLentEGG
    Options
    Got to RD and buy them. I but fresh jumbo's but my guess 40 lbs will cost about $25-$35. Just a guess. 

Why can't you buy fresh when you want to cook wings?
    I usually do , but they are pretty pricey around here. Especially if I get the ones that are not " pre injected  with up to 12% solution "  I just figured that since I have the time and freezer space , I would just get some nice jumbos and clip the tip and freeze a dozen to a pack. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You're buying from the same RD as I am.  I prefer the wings from Sam's Club, Costco or BJ's when I'm buying bulk. RD's were meh. But, that was about a year and a half ago that I bought those from them. It's possible there have been improvements in ways of their suppliers. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • XLentEGG
    Options
    You're buying from the same RD as I am.  I prefer the wings from Sam's Club, Costco or BJ's when I'm buying bulk. RD's were meh. But, that was about a year and a half ago that I bought those from them. It's possible there have been improvements in ways of their suppliers. 
    thats sorta why i am asking for information. Although BJS has pretty good bird, I find that the wings are on the small side. especially at 2.19 - 2.32 a LB  I want those Jumbos like I get at the " Big Dawgs " here by the house.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Like I said...maybe they've improved. Only one way to find out Nancyboy :wink:
    Let me know brotha. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • XLentEGG
    Options

Jumbo wings from RD...... 40 LB Cryo Bag in Box

XLentEGGXLentEGG  Posts: 384
    3:42PM  edited 3:48PM in EggHead Forum
    The price- $1.59 lb BUT I got them for $1.20 lb and they smelled fine when I got them home :-)

The size - A few as small as 3oz  , a few as large as 6oz  , the rest in between. ( whole wings without the tip ) I cut the tips myself.

The count- 120 whole wings , vac packed in random sets of ten.

Bag count ( oz )- 40 ,41 , 44 4x , 45 2x , 46 2x , 47 , 48. 

$1.79lb will get you what they call " Jumbo Party Wings " already cut into flats and drums. They seemed to be smaller then the flats and drums on the " Whole Jumbo Wings " so I went with the whole to give me the option to cut up or cook whole :-)

I posted this because , I had zero luck finding this information yesterday searching here and on the web. Maybe it will help somebody else later down the road...Pics to follow with future cooks. :-)...
    @NPHuskerFL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thx for the 411 Chuck 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014