Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog Charcoal

Options
My inlaws are from St.louis and each time they come I ask them to bring me a bag of Rockwood since I cannot get it locally.  They arrived today and my father-in-law said the store he normally buys it from does not carry it anymore since the price went up $2 a bag.  The owner suggested the Blues Hog charcoal and said he thought it was better than Rockwood - anyone tried it?  I will test it tomorrow.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'm a betting man, and im betting that's royal oak. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Feenbo said:
    since the price went up $2 a bag...
    No.....not even remotely true.  BTW, that bag is 17.5#.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Its in a blue bag - it must produce that beautiful blue smoke we all covet!!   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Blues Hog sells a lot of sauce and some rubs as well. However, I doubt they are manufacturing charcoal. I would have to agree it is probably Royal Oak.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    If it's Royal Oak it probably says so somewhere on the bag in pretty small writing.

Give it try and let us all know.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I'm a betting man, and im betting that's royal oak. 
    I'm betting it's Cowboy, see the similarity in font style of "HARDWOOD LUMP CHARCOAL"?

However, one is "100% NATURAL" the other is "100% ALL NATURAL" though, haha!

canuckland
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I was in Lowe's a few days ago and they had lump in a box by the main entrance. Can't remember the brand but it was "center cut". Lol. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Canugghead I believe you're on to something there. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2016
    Options
    yljkt said:
    I was in Lowe's a few days ago and they had lump in a box by the main entrance. Can't remember the brand but it was "center cut". Lol. 
    this one?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1990599#Comment_1990599
    canuckland
  • Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    Options
    Just looked at the bag and does not say Royal Oak or anyone else but I did see great reminder warning not to use the charcoal inside of vehicles...
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Maybe a new hybrid brand like at our whole foods

Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited August 2016
    Options
    da87 said:
    I was just about to post the same thing. If whole foods is selling Cowboy it must be great right????  =)
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• yljkt
    Options
    yljkt said:
    this one?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1990599#Comment_1990599
    Yeah, that's the stuff I saw. Didn't realize it had it's own thread. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Feenbo said:
    since the price went up $2 a bag...
    No.....not even remotely true.  BTW, that bag is 17.5#.

The store must of not wanted to sell it anymore, because the price hasn't gone up where I buy it.

Found this on Blues Hog's website and this is about what I pay for Rockwood with tax and it is a 20 lb bag not 17.5.  
    http://www.blueshog.com/Blues-Hog-Premium-Natural-Lump-Charcoal-17-5-lb-B-p/121.htm

Not sure where it is made but we all know where Rockwood is made and that that the wood used is more local to Missouri.  

I will stick to Rockwood, works great for me and it is easily attainable for me. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Does anyone besides Royal Oak make 17.5 pound bags?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• yljkt
    Options
    Does anyone besides Royal Oak make 17.5 pound bags?
    I bought a bag of Frontier a while back that 17.5. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    I don't know about the charcoal, but if you ever have a chance to buy purchase the sauce...do it!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    da87 said:

That is better than the mesquite briquettes my WF sells...
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    billt01 said:
    I don't know about the charcoal, but if you ever have a chance to buy purchase the sauce...do it!
    Heck yeah. And don't waste time buying the Mason jar size. Save some time and money and get the gallon. I put the sh** on everything.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    billt01 said:
    Heck yeah. And don't waste time buying the Mason jar size. Save some time and money and get the gallon. I put the sh** on everything.

Agree the sauce doesn't suck. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    billt01 said:
    Your post triggered my memory of visiting their modest first retail & kitchen for making the sauce somewhere other than home. This was in the tiny burg of Perry, MO. Note the BIG jugs half way back in the store.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokeyw
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    billt01 said:

It's a little too sweet for my taste but practically everyone is using it in competitions in some form, at least the ones winning.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Toxarch said:
    billt01 said:

It's a little too sweet for my taste but practically everyone is using it in competitions in some form, at least the ones winning.
    Original is too sweet and thick for me, try 50/50 Original/TennesseeRed!
    canuckland
  • smokeyw
    Options
    Oh, I have tried that and about every combination imaginable. I like the Tennessee Red. But then again, I'm from North Carolina.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    da87 said:

"I got a fever! And the only prescription is more Cowbell!!" - Chris Walken
    =)
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Toxarch said:
    billt01 said:

Original is too sweet and thick for me, try 50/50 Original/TennesseeRed!
    Too much vinegar in the Tennessee Red for me. Only time I use it is as a baste when I know that vinegar will be cooked off.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Toxarch said

Too much vinegar in the Tennessee Red for me. Only time I use it is as a baste when I know that vinegar will be cooked off.
    To each his own, but my wife and I love Tennessee Red heated and used as a finishing  sauce with pork loin slices. It really rocks and I have had guests compliment me on how delicious it is and I just cross my fingers and say I spent a couple hours at the stove that afternoon preparing it! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.