Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New bag of Fogo- lots of snap, crackle, and pop!

Options
Check out this video clip of the sparks from the charcoal. I bought a 35 lb bag of Fogo lump charcoal on Amazon.

What's causing this? Any advice?

PS- please excuse the vertical video... I'm a stickler about shooting in landscape!

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Read lots of theories over the years.

Could be the lump has picked up some moisture. Could be (as Weber claims) that natural pockets of gas in some pieces of lump are heating/expanding/popping. Could be some of the fine dust that is in all bags of charcoal are igniting/floating.

My guess is that it is likely some combo of all the above.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have had an occasional spark/pop but nothing like that. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Wow never seen it do that
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Well-if that doesn't grab your attention and a handy hose.  I have not seen the likes of that and am no lump manufacturing  expert.  Perhaps @stlcharcoal, who has forgotten more about charcoal (and charcoal bag stitching  ;) ) than I will ever know will be along. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm going with moisture but that right there is pretty intense. Like Independence Day line of charcoal. 

How did did you get a video to imbed?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    I also a have a slo-mo video which is pretty cool... looks like a volcano.

As for embedding the video, just click on the </> icon in the editor and past the code from YouTube/Vimeo/etc.

Lemme know if that doesn't make sense.  I'm a tech nerd and sometimes I need to speak non-geek.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Lit said:
    Wow never seen it do that
    I've seen that on occasion when there are a lot of fines dumped in with the charcoal.

Never bothers me and I find it somewhat mesmerizing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColAngus
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've seen that on occasion when there are a lot of fines dumped in with the charcoal.
    When you say "fines", what do you mean?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    HeavyG said:
    The almost dust like stuff (or maybe grain of sand size stuff) that is in just about every bag of lump.

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    I would think if you close the lid for 15 minutes any moisture or gases would bake out of the lump.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • ColAngus
    Options
    BakerMan said:
    I would think if you close the lid for 15 minutes any moisture or gases would bake out of the lump.
    I think you're on to something. I wonder if this bag may have been wet at sometime before delivery. I ordered it on amazon.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Where has your lump been?  Outside and opened?  What did you light with?  If I really hit my lump hard with the weed torch it does similar (maybe not to that extent) and the lump has been on the porch for a while. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Where has your lump been?  Outside and opened?  What did you light with?  If I really hit my lump hard with the weed torch it does similar (maybe not to that extent) and the lump has been on the porch for a while. 
    Spooky post count FTW
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    HeavyG said:

In industry, fines are anything less than about 3/4"......or called "3/4 inch minus."  It's what falls through the grate/screen agitator on the way on the bagging line.  They have plenty of value getting sold for briquettes, agriculture, livestock, industrial, munitions, and even cosmetics.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    MTHAFKN SCIENCE!!  I like it.
    Options
    I've had it for about 3 weeks... it's been stored either in the Egg cart, or in the bag... under the porch... it hasn't gotten wet since it's been in my possession.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Move over Bounty. Lump Charcoal The Quicker Picker-Upper :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    I've had it for about 3 weeks... it's been stored either in the Egg cart, or in the bag... under the porch... it hasn't gotten wet since it's been in my possession.

You're in NC, right?  It pretty humid. I'm assuming the lump has absorbed moisture since it's been in your possession. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Charcoal absorbs dat sheet out da air, dude!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95