Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used "Mini" for $200? Worth it?

sinc86
sinc86 Posts: 23
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have a LARGE and a SMALL, but this has just come up... Used Mini for $200. Surface area is nothing to brag about, but right now it is just myself and my wife. Even firing up the small some nights is overkill for two brauts or two burgers... HELP! Should I? Or shouldn't I? 
Owner of:
1 - Large BGE
1 - Small BGE
1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Considering there would be no warranty I think I would pass for $200.  I wouldn't pay more than 1/2 price, and I don't think minis go for $400. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sinc86
    sinc86 Posts: 23
    Really? I thought Mini's were in the $400, my small was $599, and large was about $1199 (with all the bells and whistles). 

Forgot to mention, this Mini has never been cooked on (I'm assuming it was a gift or a winning for the guy selling it)
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    That is quite a deal. Buy it!  
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Id buy it for that just to have it. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    sinc86 said:
    Really? I thought Mini's were in the $400, my small was $599, and large was about $1199 (with all the bells and whistles). 

Forgot to mention, this Mini has never been cooked on (I'm assuming it was a gift or a winning for the guy selling it)
    My bad I think you are right they are closer to $400 retail.  I had it in my mind they were around $300. If it hasn't been registered then you might be able to register it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited August 2016
    Still kicking myself for missing this few days ago, seller about 2.5 hours away but my son was passing Kingston on his way home anyway, CAD 99 = USD 75  =)

canuckland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    If it's most recent model, yep worth it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't know. My dog devastated my Mini some months ago. It's in more pieces than I care to count. As we speak, I am cooking two chicken breasts on my $30 Smokey Joe. I'm sure they will be delicious - because they always have been.

I loved my Mini (after a few mediocre attempts), but the Joe does a great job on hot and fast cooks; burgers, small spatched birds, chicken parts, steaks, chops, etc. Most of the things I cook. I doubt I'll ever try a butt or beef roast on it, but I never tried those on the Mini either.

If someone were to offer me a Mini or a Joe at no cost, I'd take the Mini. But the Joe is a fine little cooker. For FAR less than $200!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ^ +1....newest model....yep...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ^ +1....newest model....yep...
    What is different about a new Mini vs. my 11 year old Mini? Please explain as I honestly don't know!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Other than the amount of use...no idea...lol

i feel like I use the heck out of my mini....if it lasts the next 10 year the little guy will most likely outlive me!   :)
  • RRP
    SkinnyV said:
    Guess I'll ask you the same question:

What is different about a new Mini vs. my 11 year old Mini? Please explain as I honestly don't know!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    RRP said:
    SkinnyV said:

Updated nest, stainless cooking grid, quality temp guage and completly redesigned band/hinge system and inflated price.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SkinnyV
    What the poster above said, hinge and band system, handle and not that awful faulty nest.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    SkinnyV said:
    What the poster above said, hinge and band system, handle and not that awful faulty nest.
    What's wrong with the old nest? 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:
    SkinnyV said:

Updated nest, stainless cooking grid, quality temp guage and completly redesigned band/hinge system and inflated price.lol
    Thanks, Darian. So the Mini now comes with a nest? They didn't when I bought mine. I know the Maxi-Mini does. My old sissor hinge still works fine, but I admit a spring loaded one would be a definite upgrade when the time comes. Shoot, my medium still has that yellow handled lever that you need to trip to close! 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SkinnyV said:

You meant that's not a "feature"?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:
    SkinnyV said:

My old mini is awful. It's the one with the double hinged band. The whole egg wants to lift up when opening the dome. The egg itself is good but not willing to drop $80+ on a new band. I also think the newer band is slightly larger than the older minis. My new mini is hands down much better designed. Much more user friendly. I bought it for $100 new. No warranty but new nontheless. $100 is what I think it's worth. I find it too small for most average cooks. I agree with @Carolina Q and the Weber. I use my Weber Jumbo Joe 10 times to every 1 time I use the mini.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    SkinnyV said:

But that "nest" did not come with the Mini's at least when I bought mine. That "nest" was actually the stand for a small chimnea that they were making and selling later and somebody said "hey, look at this...it fits!"
  • Carolina Q
    RRP said:
    But that "nest" did not come with the Mini's...
    Came with mine. And apparently with lowercase bill's.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP said:
    But that "nest" did not come with the Mini's...
    Came with mine. And apparently with lowercase bill's.
    No reason for me to dispute you, Michael, I'm just telling you mine didn't. I bought mine in July, 2005 and I would not be surprised if it had sat in my dealer's show room for a year or so before.
  • Carolina Q
    Then you lucked out. I did too...saw bill's pic before it happened to me. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    Mine a newer model did not come with the nest. Like a sucker I paid $45-50 for the 3 legged stand.
    by default no meat included.... 
    Can you hear me now....
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    edited August 2016
    Just for kicks and giggles will someone post a picture of the "new" stand for a Mini. I still use a metal plant stand for mine.
  • SkinnyV
    The new stand is the carrier like the Max. This is the older newer stand

Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    RRP said:
    Just for kicks and giggles will someone post a picture of the "new" stand for a Mini. I still use a metal plant stand for mine.
    @Dyal_SC
  • RRP
    SkinnyV said:

Thank you!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    SkinnyV said:

I've got the same nest as Mr Skinny.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    SkinnyV said:

Oops - I posted too soon, before the brain muscle kicked in. You said the carrier for the Mini is "like" the Maxi-Mini? Did you mean it is the same as the Maxi-Mini?