Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what's the internal temperature of the juicy well done hamburger?

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Aside from cooking a burger until it looks good,  is there a chart of temperatures for when a burger is rare through well done?   I'd like to make a well done but juicy hamburger. And I've got an egg and a Thermapen to get me there.

Comments

• 160 is when ground beef from the store is technically safe of pathogens. However I like to pull around 155 and let the carry over temp get you home and cover the time frame it must stay at or above 160.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Juicy and well done are mutually exclusive terms. 
    Actually they aren't. But it's a very narrow window. Do it exactly as @Brisket_Fanatic described and you'll get it right. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    edited August 2016
    Hmmm, I'd have to disagree with you there Carolina, on my Weber Grill, perhaps, but not in the Egg, that Kamodo grill keeps much of the moisture in and if you sear it correctly I've found a nice balance. Anyway, I like mine well done and they are MUCH better when cooked in the egg. YMMV!
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    flyerdoc said:
    Hmmm, I'd have to disagree with you there Carolina, on my Weber Grill, perhaps, but not in the Egg, that Kamoda grill keeps much of the moisture in and if you sear it correctly I've found a nice balance. Anyway, I like mine well done and they are MUCH better when cooked in the egg. YMMV!

That is my favorite thing about my egg.  It allows me to cook my meats well done while still keeping them juicy.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Great question, thanks for asking. I was just about to ask it myself.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited August 2016
    I get very good results @ 450°, 4min/side for a ½lb burger
    Fully cooked and juicy with a 80/20 burger mix.

Just did a bacon mix burger last night…

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I agree with Michael, the best burgers give the egg the day off. Sous vide and finish in a CI pan for crust and colour. I always grind my own, but if you buy store bought ground, I'd use it for meat loaf....cooked to 155º and then pulled, like @Brisket_Fanatic said...
    The egg will do a fine burger - but most of use do not smoke/slow cook a burger, we grill it and a kettle with $1 of roaring briquettes is a great alternative to an egg with $3 of lump in it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wife hates even a hint of pink. Cook burgers to 160 and they make her happy and are a mess to eat. Good combo in my book.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I agree with Michael, the best burgers give the egg the day off. Sous vide and finish in a CI pan for crust and colour. I always grind my own, but if you buy store bought ground, I'd use it for meat loaf....cooked to 155º and then pulled, like @Brisket_Fanatic said...
    The egg will do a fine burger - but most of use do not smoke/slow cook a burger, we grill it and a kettle with $1 of roaring briquettes is a great alternative to an egg with $3 of lump in it. 
    That's an awful lot of lump.  I can do a bunch of cooks in my XL utilizing the leftovers + maybe 3/4 Weber chimney full and at $10/20lb bag, I figure I am using < $1 worth at a time. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691

Steel on the egg is my chosen method. Great crust and flavor whether med-rare or well done. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I agree that I like my burgers on the Egg, usually cook them pretty well because I'm concerned about bacteria from store-bought ground meats, but they seem pretty juicy to me on the Egg.  And I prefer the flavor of a grilled burger to one cooked on steel.

But I also have to agree with @Carolina Q in that even though I do like my well done burgers on the Egg, and find them reasonably juicy, no, they're NOT as juicy as a medium rare, very pink burger.  And THAT's my favorite burger: a little bit charred on the outside from a charcoal grill, but very pink on the inside.  Trouble is that I won't cook them that way using store bought ground meat.  I keep thinking I'm going to buy some beef rib meat and grind it myself, and cook some FINE medium-rare burgers, one of these days...  Haven't done it yet, though.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I just like burgers !  I don't really like red left in the middle....but I don't want them well done !

With the egg, I can get them perfect....PE (pre-egg) I would either burn them or not get them cooked in the middle !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Powak
    And at what height do you guys grill your burgers? Raised/felt level or fire ring level?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    well done on a grill is dry to me, any grill =) now well done smash burgers are still juicy and the crust only makes them better, maybe the thinness and the speed of the cook does that. on the egg i was making over cooked dry burgers with my thermapen, went back to my old ways of one flip juicy pink burgers B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited August 2016
    Direct, not raised, lid closed, 450°, 4min/side for a ½lb burger
  • Powak
    Tony_T said:
    Direct, not raised, lid closed, 450°, 4min/side for a ½lb burger
    Did that and they came out killer! Thanks man for the tips. Ring level does the trick with burgers.  As others have said you'd think they're dried out but they're nice and moist.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    For store bought gb, I agree with pulling as they approach 160.  

If not doing smashburgers, I prefer cooking burgers on a kettle instead of the egg.  Smoke indirect, then finish direct over coals for some crust.  Lots of ways to skin this cat though.

I do love me some burgers.
    Phoenix 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2016
    Glad it worked out . . next try SMASH BURGERS - done using this technique!  

Personally . . pink "ground beef" to me is not appetizing at all . .  This makes it hard to get juicy & well done . . but I am sure it can be done with tons of TLC and trial/error.  

In my BGE experience, I tried and tried Pizza & Burgers tons of different ways . . but never could get consistancy.  This is what I landed on after 5 years.
    ~ PIZZA: i moved to a blackstone pizza oven (tried to avoid) and consistancy easy with awesome results. 
    ~ BURGERS: moved to smashburger technique and soo soo happy with results - here is link of one of my BGE posts

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I'm thinking fat content has a lot to do with juiciness especially in a well done burger.
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    I tell my friends that it's worth buying an egg just to make burgers.  Before I had the egg I would grind my own meat using a mix of grass fed and grain fed meats.  I would meticulously make each patty and then cook them on cast iron in a mix of tallow and butter.  It was expensive and time consuming but what a tasty burger.  The first time I did a long cook on my egg I had some friends over to help eat it and one of them brought some cheap burger meat from the store.  I grilled it up and I liked it more than any burg I ever made before I got the egg.  Now I use any old hamburger meat I find laying around.  I try to make the patties roughly the same size, but it doesn't really matter.  I get the egg up to around 500, sear the burgs on each side for about a minute.  Take them off and close the egg up, give it a few minutes for the fire to smolder, then put them back on, keeping the egg closed up for about 5 or 6 minutes.  Pull them around 160F.
  • Cookinbob said:

Steel on the egg is my chosen method. Great crust and flavor whether med-rare or well done. 
    I gotta tell ya I agree here. When meat is ground you have a better chance of bacteria so you want it at least med well, which gives you a better chance of them drying a bit before you get them to plate. 

I I did these for the first time a few weeks ago and the reviews were much better. It seared the bottom and forced the fat to cook through the meat instead of drip on the flames. Let them cook to well done and still were juicy and full of flavor. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can still get juicy burgers as long as the fat content is high enough or you add moisture. If I do anything above 80/20, I add a couple Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce which gives a nice umami flavor and adds moisture.
  • Powak
    I've done smash burgers with my Lodge on the egg and they are indeed the best.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My wife and I prefer meduim well or somewhere between 140 and 150 so I go about 4-5 minutes at 400 direct on my GrillGrates which is about 500-550 actually.  Now my mother-in-law likes her burger rare, so I will cook it about 2 minutes a side at temps above.  We prefer a 80/20 mix as well and sometimes I make up burgers with my meatloaf recipe.  That gives them a lot of flavor as well.  I have a Little Griddle I got for Christmas I haven't used yet and may get it out this weekend to either do burgers our Rubens on or both. 

This is what I have.  I think @NPHuskerFL has one as well.
    https://www.littlegriddle.com/collections/all/products/kq17r-kettle-q-stainless-steel-bbq-griddle
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Well done juicy burger is fairly simple:

Higher fat content, lower heat, longer time...I'm sure there are variables, but think of it like a brisket...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Add extra fat or some white bread soaked in whole milk. Mash it up and mix with your burger.  You will have well done juicy burgers with either of these methods at 160F IT
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Oxymoronic
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Smash burgers are always well done and taste perfectly juicy to me.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA