Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Impromptu trip to NOLA got tickets today

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Thanks @Dondgc yah everything on his list seems like a winner.  We are looking forward to R'evolution most of all 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    R'evolution has a coolinary menu. 
  • McStew
    @nolabrew yah we saw that online.  I'm already wanting to skip out of the office a week early, NOLA is quickly becoming our favorite place state side. Do you work at or own NOLA brew or your signature just happens to be the same?    
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    @McStew I'm just a guy who lives in Nola (or used to, I'm in the burbs now) and brews.  Nola Brewery has offered me a job several times but I don't want to turn a hobby I enjoy in to work, especially since the summers are so brutal here.  My brother does work there.  If you get a tour, he'll be the one doing it.

• McStew
    Got it ... well if we go I will definitely find him.   We are hitting all of your events you had listed for things to do.  We also will be trying to hit a plantation tour and a swamp tour but time will dictate that.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    McStew said:
    Thanks @Dondgc yah everything on his list seems like a winner.  We are looking forward to R'evolution most of all 
    This a phenomenally good place.  One of the best dining experiences I have had in some time.  And the service is impeccable.  

We didn't care for their degustation menu, so they let us put together our own selection.  It was superb. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • McStew
    @caliking perfect good to know.... any suggestions on what your favorites were? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Our flight arrives 11 PM Thursday ..... if you had to choose a late night stop on the way into town what would it be? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    City Diner on the south I-10 service road by the Causeway exit.  Open 24 hours and directly on your path downtown.  Pancakes the size of pizzas and very tasty.  It is a diner, though, not haute cuisine.  But safe area even at midnight.

Other suggestions?
    New Orleans LA
  • McStew
    A friend of my suggested Verti Marte for a late night meal / snack anyone seen or heard of this place. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    McStew said:
    A friend of my suggested Verti Marte for a late night meal / snack anyone seen or heard of this place. 
    It's a sandwich shop/grocery in the quarter know for late night eats.  Not bad if you're in the vicinity, but I don't know that I would make a special trip. 

Whereabouts are you looking to eat?
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    This is a decent list (note that Verti Marte is number 1, but I don't think they are ranked by quality).

Off of this list, Bouligny Tavern would be a great option.

http://nola.eater.com/maps/best-late-night-restaurant-food-new-orleans

NOLA
  • McStew
    @buzd504 yah a buddy of mine recommended it I have a suspicion he pulled it from this list or something similar we will eat or go anywhere as we have no schedule.  I'm not looking for anything special just something not normal.  Example If someone was coming to Los Angeles and arriving late I would send them to the KOGI truck or bar for some Korean Tacos just something different and fun.
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • buzd504
    Verti Marte certainly has acceptable version of New Orleans poboys, and a few other things, I imaging.  City Diner that @Dondgc mentioned isn't much on ambiance (it's a converted Denny's), but there food is pretty good, and they have gumbo, etouffee, and sandwiches, in addition to diner food.

From that list, Bouligny Tavern, Mimi's, St Lawrence, and Coop's all provide various levels of more upscale and more interesting food.  You might just head down to Frenchmen St and see what's there - it's outside of the far end of the quarter and has a great music scene and a few late restaurants. 

Also on the list is Clover grill, another diner, but with a TON of, um, character.  Great for a late night griddle burger, but I'm not sure I (or anyone else) has ever been there sober.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @mcstew I don't recall what we ate specifically there,  but everything was outstanding. And there is a very classy touch at the end of the meal,  which I will leave you to be pleasantly surprised by. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • McStew said:
    I thought it was pretty good for what it is. I got a all that jazz. Definitely out of the way. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    buzd504 said:
    ...City Diner that @Dondgc mentioned isn't much on ambiance (it's a converted Denny's), but there food is pretty good, and they have gumbo, etouffee, and sandwiches, in addition to diner food...
    No argument on the ambiance - or lack thereof.
    New Orleans LA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    So, along the lines of this thread - is Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone a cool thing? Or a tourist trap thing?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• McStew
    @Foghorn we went on our first trip to Carousel Bar it was kinda cool to see.  We had some good drinks at the bar before we went out for the night.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • buzd504
    Foghorn said:
    So, along the lines of this thread - is Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone a cool thing? Or a tourist trap thing?
    Cool thing.  They have also recently (last 2 years or so) expanded it, so there is a more modern side with another bar.

Just FYI, the bar makes one rotation every 15 minutes.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    buzd504 said:
    Foghorn said:
    Cool thing.  They have also recently (last 2 years or so) expanded it, so there is a more modern side with another bar.

Just FYI, the bar makes one rotation every 15 minutes.
    Oh, I know it very well.  I like it.  I was just wondering if I'm cool or not because I hadn't seen anybody else mention it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• McStew
    Dang it .... We are suck at the airport flight delayed departing in 2 hours .... Beer goggles are already on !!!  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Whooooooooop!
    Pat, you should be here by now or the next hour based on your delay info.  Have a good time and feel free to call, I think you have my number from a couple years ago.   You shouldn't need them unless you're having "too much fun", but keep in mind our brisket camp lawyers are dedicated to help any in the metropolitan New Orleans area out.  ;) 

If you make your way into Algiers and feel like a drink at the pub, let me know, I might be around.

Finally arrive 4am went to our bar .... And got served gumbo by the proclaimed gumbo man .... 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew

Tourist s*** 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Love that you wasted no time getting the parts started.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• McStew
    Still running strong phone died 
    first time ever having yuengling the only place I had ever seen it was on this dang place! Thanks for all the great suggestions guys 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • buzd504
    Yuengling just made it into this market within the last week or two.  There are much better beers here, IMO.

Hansen's is the best.  Where did you get that oyster poboy?  It looks good.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Yuengling isn't bad. Back before we could get it in GA anyone going to our Va facility took orders for the ride home.