Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caribbean Jerk Chicken - In the style of SGH

Options
I decided to try @SGH recipe for Jerk Chicken.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2007647#Comment_2007647

For the baste, I used Guava Jelly, Scotchbonnet Pepper Sauce, Walkerswood Marinade, Open Pit BBQ sauce, and Kraft BBQ sauce.

This smoked at 225 for 8 hours with Cherry, Apple, and Oak. 

The texture was outstanding, and the heat was a nice even kick. 

I will definitely make this again using Pimento wood.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    that looks awesome 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    Looks great.. I am interested though what is Pimento wood?
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • Jodiminneapolis
    Options
    Pimento wood  is the wood that is used in Jamaica to make authentic jerk chicken. It is only found in Jamaica. We actually have the only company that is allowed to import the wood into the United States. We have been doing this since 2006. Using the wooded gives a very different flavor profile to what you were grilling and smoking.  You can find the products on Amazon, or much more extensive products at pimentowood.com .  We also have videos on YouTube of how the process works and on GaceBook. Please feel free to reach out and contact us with any questions you might have! We are passionate about jerk!!!!!

On a different note, we use our big green egg to also make awesome Jerk brisket. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I have not been asked to endorse www.pimentowood.com but I am. I've ordered from them twice. 

You can go all out with steaming pimento leaves, cooking the bird on pimento sticks and smoking a small foil packet of pimento chips for smoke.  A few amount of chips go along way. 

IMO, the chips are enough to impart the flavor and color. The leaves and cooking on the sticks is more of a "show cook" for friends/family.

Jerk chicken, Jerk wings? Sign me up! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @ThrillSeeker
    Brother, the grub looks fantastic. I'm certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed it. For a phenomenal job my brother:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @ThrillSeeker
    How did you like the chicken cooked low and slow? I love it myself if time allows. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @ThrillSeeker
    How did you like the chicken cooked low and slow? I love it myself if time allows. 

Loved the low and slow...I want to try it w just plain bbq sauce too. Either that or a beer mop. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    @ThrillSeeker

Loved the low and slow...I want to try it w just plain bbq sauce too. Either that or a beer mop. 
    Plain bbq sauce works like a charm my friend. Heck you can use no sauce at all and it still turns out great. Again, awesome job ole buddy.  

Status- Standing by.