Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alabama White Sauce

Hub
Hub Posts: 927
A week ago I had never heard of it.  Looked up some recipes .. made a big batch tonight.  Man alive is that stuff incredibly good!! One of the best things I have tasted in a very long time.  Now what do I do with it? Most of my search shows chicken or maybe pulled pork.  Maybe Pork Chops? Pork tenderloin? What about red meat? Fish? Shrimp? I could drink this stuff!!  I'm shocked at how good it is!
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Im debating making a large batch and smoking shrimp in it that have marinated for a day. Cant imagine how that could ever be bad. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think it is most popular on chicken.  Smoke up some chicken quarters and then dunk them in the sauce.  Make extra and then make smoked chicken salad with the white sauce. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I like it on buffalo wings instead of blue cheese or ranch dressings. Makes a killer 'slaw. Perfect on chicken by itself or to kick up the flavors of a sweet bbq sauced chicken piece. Have not tried on Pork.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I like it on buffalo wings instead of blue cheese or ranch dressings. Makes a killer 'slaw. Perfect on chicken by itself or to kick up the flavors of a sweet bbq sauced chicken piece. Have not tried on Pork.
    Great ideas....I must try these.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I discovered Alabama White Sauce at a local restaurant 2 years ago on a pulled pork sandwich.  I highly recommend the following combo and have redone it a few times at home:  Martin's Potato Bread (lightly grilled in a buttered pan), spread with pimento cheese, load it up open faced with BGE smoked pulled pork, top with Alabama White sauce and sliced dill pickles.  Best thing I've ever eaten.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Hub said:
    A week ago I had never heard of it.  Looked up some recipes .. made a big batch tonight.  Man alive is that stuff incredibly good!! One of the best things I have tasted in a very long time.  Now what do I do with it? Most of my search shows chicken or maybe pulled pork.  Maybe Pork Chops? Pork tenderloin? What about red meat? Fish? Shrimp? I could drink this stuff!!  I'm shocked at how good it is!
    Which recipe did you go with? 
  • Hub
    I looked at several .. they were all similar yet all different.  I ended up going with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbq-49t-G5s
  • GregW
    Hub said:
    I looked at several .. they were all similar yet all different.  I ended up going with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbq-49t-G5s
    Thank you.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Never had it but would it work with cole slaw?
  • GregW
    Lit said:
    I've had the sauce at a number of bbq places. I don't think in my opinion that it would be good in slaw. 
    Everyone has a different valid opinion of what slaw should taste like.
    I'm sure that someone has tried it and maybe they will weigh in with their thoughts.
  • Hub
    During my research I saw several folks say it was great on slaw, just like ctTopGun did in this thread, but I'm not so sure.  I'd prefer my slaw to be more tangy.  But then again, this stuff tastes good enough to drink with a straw, so why not?
  • Hub
    Im debating making a large batch and smoking shrimp in it that have marinated for a day. Cant imagine how that could ever be bad. 

I concur.  My only concern would be if the marinade would burn, but I still agree with you.
  • Hub
    I think it is most popular on chicken.  Smoke up some chicken quarters and then dunk them in the sauce.  Make extra and then make smoked chicken salad with the white sauce. 
    I don't disagree, but I'm more of a white meat man.  I will try it tomorrow.  I really have no other choice.
  • Hub
    CtTOPGUN said:

Oh my gosh you have me really considering this .. smoke some wings on the egg at a low temp for a couple of hours .. then flash fry them in peanut oil.. cover with a hot wing sauce ... then dip in the white sauce ... NO WAY that wouldn't be awesome.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It's legit and should be in your arsenal.  Especially with chicken.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GregW
    Hub said:
    During my research I saw several folks say it was great on slaw, just like ctTopGun did in this thread, but I'm not so sure.  I'd prefer my slaw to be more tangy.  But then again, this stuff tastes good enough to drink with a straw, so why not?
    That's what I was thinking, I like slaw with more tang. Maybe a little vinegar could be added to the white sauce for use in slaw. 
  • Hub
    GregW said:
    Hub said:
    That's what I was thinking, I like slaw with more tang. Maybe a little vinegar could be added to the white sauce for use in slaw. 

Did you check out the video? What did you think? The guy in the video was a little on the wimpy side .. but his recipe is absolutely spot on!

• GregW
    Hub said:

Did you check out the video? What did you think? The guy in the video was a little on the wimpy side .. but his recipe is absolutely spot on!

Yes, the video was pretty much the recipe that I've made in the past.
    It is really good.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    I love dipping hush puppies in white sauce. Chicken is the only meat I've tried it on. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I came across this recipe watching online vids. Figured to give it a try.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFvIs7MjUHA

I have since altered it by adding Whatsthishere sauce and usually a cayenne pepper sauce to it. And have made it with and without the horseradish componant. It is plenty tangy for me in 'slaw with the lemon juice, cider vinegar and the extra vinegar from the pepper sauce I add. Plus the horseradish is "prepared" in vinegar. On chicken I prefer no horseradish, though. More like the Moes recipe posted recently. But with some mustard for my tastes.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    edited August 2016
    Lit said:
    This is what I like to do, add some extra apple cider vinegar and some pepper sauce so it kinda has a pink tint and add to basic slaw veggies.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    My favorite with the white sauce is Grilled chicken breast.. Lightly seasoned with mild spices.. And roasted or baked potatoes 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Man, this Alabama White Sauce just seems too good to be true.

I picked up a statement for posting at my RNNL8 BBQ events ....

Warning:  This food has been known to induce RNNL8 sweats ( similar to meat sweats ) when over-indulged!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I make it all the time for chicken. I have cooked chicken with white sauce for a wedding reception and people raved about it.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Hub said:

Wheres the recipe?
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Actually, I believe Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson's developed this sauce and it have many derivatives today....but yes...it is very very good... 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    My family loves this stuff! The first time we made it, 2 boys and I killed a batch in one meal. Now I always have at least 1 bottle in the fridge.

And yes it makes a great slaw.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    billt01 said:
    Actually, I believe Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson's developed this sauce and it have many derivatives today....but yes...it is very very good... 

Actually it was Big Bob Gibson himself that developed this. Chris married his daughter. You can find the recipe online.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Meathead has a whole write up and recipe for bob gibsons white sauce on his web page. It is very good.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    an oldie but goodie, grilled then smothered in sauce........t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.