Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini Max Handles installed.

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
Received my new handles and installed them this morning. Real easy and quick. These are much more stout than the originals.

Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice .mine are on the way after a simple email.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just ordered 2 Mini nests and the order was sent to the distributor yesterday from Ace. What do i need to look for to see if it has the new handles. I have a nest on my Mini-Max,  and it was in the first in Texas  so it will have the old style handle (no trouble that i can see).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Also got mine and swapped them out a couple weeks back. They do appear to be of better quality. Just a few more hoops to jump through here in Canada in order to obtain warranty. @Mickey I would still get in touch with them and get your new handles on their way
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @Mickey from a previous post.  "PSA Minimax"
    The_Buffalo Posts: 229
    June 5 edited June 6

The handles and hardware were changed very early in production, so you may have one of the few first generation handles --  your dealer can look with you to see or you can also check by unscrewing the handles. 

If the handles and screws match those in the image on right (see image below), then you have first generation handles, and BGE will be happy to send you an upgrade at no cost.  

Please email us and request the upgrade at 
    Customer-Support@BigGreenEgg.com, with "handle upgrade" in subject line. 

Be sure to provide your name, address, date purchased, name and location of authorized dealer.  

Thank you.

updated picture

I emailed for them, next day received conformation of shipment.  Mothership is doing right by this one for sure. 

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Mickey
    Options
    kdink said:
    @Mickey from a previous post.  "PSA Minimax"
    The_Buffalo Posts: 229
    June 5 edited June 6

The handles and hardware were changed very early in production, so you may have one of the few first generation handles --  your dealer can look with you to see or you can also check by unscrewing the handles. 

If the handles and screws match those in the image on right (see image below), then you have first generation handles, and BGE will be happy to send you an upgrade at no cost.  

Please email us and request the upgrade at 
    Customer-Support@BigGreenEgg.com, with "handle upgrade" in subject line. 

Be sure to provide your name, address, date purchased, name and location of authorized dealer.  

Thank you.

updated picture

I emailed for them, next day received conformation of shipment.  Mothership is doing right by this one for sure. 

Thank you
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Mickey... please do replace your handles on the Mini-Max nest.  The problem with the old design is that you could be in deep trouble, with little warning, if they fail.  The new design looks much more robust.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    Options
    Guys is this for both the Mini and Mini-Max Nest with handles?

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've only seen the mini nest here the past few months so I'd have to assume that they have the new handles on them. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    mine broke about 1 month and  1/2 ago and the replacements are the same old style (just checked). just sent the mothership an email
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Without taking your handles apart, you can tell if you have the old setup.  The old screws had an allen wrench head on them and are smaller in circumference.  The newer screws have a larger hexagonal head for sockets.  Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Steve 

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    Just got my mm beginning of April and it has the old style recalled handles ... email sent for replacement as well.
    Parker, Colorado
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    And it only took 2 yrs for them to address it :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Options

Recived my replacemt Mini-Max handles from Egg today. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yep put mine on much better.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    And it only took 2 yrs for them to address it :clap:
    @NPHuskerFL ... Hey Blake, I'm going to call you on this one.  They had to have a few failures reported, investigate the cause, redesign the handles, order adequate parts from their suppler, and then get word out to us.  It's not like they had their head in the sand for two years and then jumped right on it.

However, if you want to argue that they should of had a good engineer designing the part in the first place, then I'll readily agree with you.

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I got my replacement handles as well but havent installed yet.
    Austin, Tx
  • rockymountaineggster
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm still waiting for mine, no emails or updates but I'll try to be patient and give it more time. My mm doesn't get moved much so not huge.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @rockymountaineggster ... you have to contact BGE.  If you've already sent an e-mail and not received your handles or a reply, then call Bruce directly.  My first e-mail slipped in a crack, so it took a phone call to uncover it.  Then the handles came within a week.

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    Thanks @Jeepster47  I did send them an email on the 24th but I guess I'll give Bruce a call too. Glad he took care of you after the phone call.
    Parker, Colorado
  • rockymountaineggster
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So I sent bruce a quick email last night as it was too late to call to check on mine.  Woke up to an email with an order confirmation and email back from Bruce. Got to love bge customer service. Mine should be on their way shortly as well  B)
    Parker, Colorado
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Yes. Referencing the design/engineering. That's what R&D and beta testing are for. I sent an email on the 24th with no response as of yet. And to be clear many folks that aren't engineers saw this problem back when the first one's were released on the market. I had one of the first MM in the area. A fellow egghead hooked me up with a solid fix. That said at least they are correcting it now. I wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest. :smiley:
    Edit: okay. Well maybe I was. :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the email contact info and images =) Emailed yesterday and response today and then confirmation of shipment. Now that is customer service. 
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ...and then get word out to us... 

I sent an email on the 24th with no response as of yet. 
    Not sure that stumbling across or discovering such a problem on this forum (or experiencing the same non-responses as others have) is akin to simply gathering up all the warranty cards..noting the addresses on same..and physically sending out notifications. 

It's hard for one to imagine something more urgent or rising to the level of action above than a defective part responsible for keeping a bowl of fire from dumping down your frontside and/or smashing/burning your legs/feet when it comes to rest (yet pretty much nothing surprises me anymore).
  • YEMTrey
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Who is carrying around a lit Mini Max?  Just kidding.

I think the Mini Max ended up weighing more than they anticipated.
    Steve 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Just spoke to MS & my emails were lost in translation. I'm good with that. It happens. BGE customer service is still top notch.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Hotch and I both recived ours Monday. 
    Just took a second to install. Now I have clean handles on the MM and matches the Mini. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Yes sir mine are done

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Mickey & @Hotch Matching down to the Thermoworks Chef Alarm. :smirk:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Hell I'm half deaf. I need it to let me know when to get things turned over or out of the fryer!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Hell I'm half deaf. I need it to let me know when to get things turned over or out of the fryer!!
    I just copied my hero B)