Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpernickel help please...

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have tried a couple of recipes for Pumpernickel, but it comes out looking more like whole wheat than pumpernickel.  It tastes good, but it's not quite right and it certainly doesn't LOOK right. Yesterday, I found a recipe with a pic that looked exactly like what I want...

But this afternoon, when I followed that recipe EXACTLY, it was delicious bread, but it wasn't BLACK - the color I associate with pumpernickel. And the taste wasn't quite right. Quite good, but not "right". Here's my loaf...

Does anyone have a recipe for black pumpernickel? This one has coffee, cocoa and molasses plus bread, rye and whole wheat flours. But it's not BLACK.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• scottc454
    Options
    The stuff at the stores has caramel coloring added.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Hmm, thanks, but it seems like the flavor part was a bit off too. If it's just color, it's not that big a deal, but mine seemed to be missing a flavor component too. It was quite good, just not quite right. Not sure what it was missing. Was hoping someone could help with a killer pumpernickel recipe. Black would be a bonus. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Years ago when I lived in the Philly area, I used to get a black Russian bread at the Reading Terminal Market that I think actually came from a NYC bakery, and that stuff was the color of espresso, had a glossy, glossy crust, was as delicious as it was gorgeous.  Loved that stuff!  Never have had a bread like it.  Looked at the Reading Terminal Market last time I visited Philly, and no one had it.

I, too, have wondered what they use to make it so black.  Many of them do call for coffee, but as someone else said, I bet caramel color is in there, too.  Dunno -- I feel like these breads have been made for centuries, and they didn't have caramel color back then. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have no idea but interested in this thread.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Bread looks really good. I'd eat a couple slices with a big ole sammich stuffed in between !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    use pumpernickel flour ;) i would throw some rye seeds in too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    just did some googling, use coarse pumpernickel flour and one piece of advice i saw said to slow cook it with steam up to 2 hours, didnt give a specific temp but the slow cook allows the sugars in the coarse flour to fully darken. breads really went down hill in the last couple of decades, my favorite portuguese sweet bread is no longer a sweet bread, new england bulkies are horrible now, etc  petridge farms pumpernickel is saw dust compared to the old days, did get a good pumpernickel at the hannafords bakery last week but it was only good (great for todays standards)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I've never even seen pumpernickel flour. I had a hard enough time finding rye flour!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    I've never even seen pumpernickel flour. I had a hard enough time finding rye flour!! =)
    have bought it before, was either market basket or shaws, probably market basket cause shaws is too pricey =)
    fukahwee maine

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Carolina Q  You said:"Does anyone have a recipe for black pumpernickel? This one has coffee, cocoa and molasses plus bread, rye and whole wheat flours. But it's not BLACK."  

Rye flour comes in differing types (I most often see light rye, medium rye, and pumpernickel rye) - make sure you are using pumpernickel rye flour (whole wheat rye). Recipe should not have too much white flour mixed in (I prefer to use more pumpernickel flour and add gluten to get the rise).  I have seen recipes with only pumpernickel and buckwheat flours.  Color from coffee, espresso powder, black molasses, cocoa, carob, prune juice, and/or caramel color.  I am guessing a little squid ink would work as well!

For flavor, using a rye sourdough starter may help.  There are various rye "enhancer" products that can be added if you don't want to go the starter route.

As a side note - traditional "black" breads were not actually black.  The really black breads we see today are a product of the various coloring agents we like to add.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    have bought it before, was either market basket or shaws, probably market basket cause shaws is too pricey =)
    Shaw's got bought out by Stop & Shop here. Never heard of Market Basket. 
    buzd504 said:
    Thanks, but nearly $30 for 3 lbs of flour?! I don't think so.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @Carolina Q  You said:"Does anyone have a recipe for black pumpernickel? This one has coffee, cocoa and molasses plus bread, rye and whole wheat flours. But it's not BLACK."  

Rye flour comes in differing types (I most often see light rye, medium rye, and pumpernickel rye) - make sure you are using pumpernickel rye flour (whole wheat rye). Recipe should not have too much white flour mixed in (I prefer to use more pumpernickel flour and add gluten to get the rise).  I have seen recipes with only pumpernickel and buckwheat flours.  Color from coffee, espresso powder, black molasses, cocoa, carob, prune juice, and/or caramel color.  I am guessing a little squid ink would work as well!

For flavor, using a rye sourdough starter may help.  There are various rye "enhancer" products that can be added if you don't want to go the starter route.

As a side note - traditional "black" breads were not actually black.  The really black breads we see today are a product of the various coloring agents we like to add.
    Thanks. I am a novice at bread baking and not good at winging it. I guess I have some learning to do. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Finding rye flour locally down here is tough (may be one of the reasons I don't make rye bread a lot).  Pumpernickel flour goes by various names: Pumpernickel flour = whole grain rye flour = dark rye flour.

King Arthur has good stuff, but it is pricey.  

Bob's Red Mill has a "Organic Dark Rye Flour " and "Organic Pumpernickel Dark Rye Meal".  You might be able to find a local retailer that handles Bob's Red Mill products.  

Look for Hodgson Mill products. They also have Whole Grain Rye Flour.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Pumpernickel means "Satan's farts" in German. 

Nickel = The devil
    Pumper = fart
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Finding rye flour locally down here is tough (may be one of the reasons I don't make rye bread a lot).  Pumpernickel flour goes by various names: Pumpernickel flour = whole grain rye flour = dark rye flour.

Bob's Red Mill has a "Organic Dark Rye Flour " and "Organic Pumpernickel Dark Rye Meal".  You might be able to find a local retailer that handles Bob's Red Mill products.  

I used Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Rye. Went to at least 5 stores and found just one that had any. I'll try to find Bob's. I know I've seen their products.

The recipe I used called for 2 1/2 cups "flour" (I used Bread), 1 cup rye and 1/2 cup whole wheat. Maybe I should increase rye and decrease bread?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

just did some googling, use coarse pumpernickel flour and one piece of advice i saw said to slow cook it with steam up to 2 hours, didnt give a specific temp but the slow cook allows the sugars in the coarse flour to fully darken. breads really went down hill in the last couple of decades, my favorite portuguese sweet bread is no longer a sweet bread, new england bulkies are horrible now, etc  petridge farms pumpernickel is saw dust compared to the old days, did get a good pumpernickel at the hannafords bakery last week but it was only good (great for todays standards)
    Apparently, there's a considerable difference between traditional, Westphalian pumpernickel and the Americanized version (a shock, I know). The Germans do the slow baked version. We add caramel color. Why am I not surprised? I read somewhere that, if you like the American style, you may not care for the real thing. Dunno.

I used to buy Freihofer's Pumpernickel (also what they used in the cafeteria at work). I haven't bought any lately so I don't know if it has changed.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    Options

I used Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Rye. Went to at least 5 stores and found just one that had any. I'll try to find Bob's. I know I've seen their products.

The recipe I used called for 2 1/2 cups "flour" (I used Bread), 1 cup rye and 1/2 cup whole wheat. Maybe I should increase rye and decrease bread?
    Flour ratio seems typical for many rye breads.  Some recipes will get the pumpernickel flour up in the 50% area. Pumpernickel flour is low in gluten, so depending on your preference for crumb density, you may want to add gluten to give it more lift if you go with a higher % of pumpernickel flour.  Try adding a couple teaspoons of cocoa for color. A couple of teaspoons of ground anise may be the flavor you are missing (or maybe not - anise has its fans but isn't for everyone).

This discussion has inspired me to make some rye bread so I looked for rye flour in my local Publix market today.  They carry King Arthur, Bob's Red Mill, Hodgson Mill, and Arrowhead Mills products - not the full line of any of the brands but selective items from them all.  They actually had one bag of Arrowhead Mills Rye Flour - it came home with me. I am currently starting a new sourdough starter. I think a rye loaf is on the short list for this week.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    From what very little I know, there is no coffee, or cocoa, or caramel color in real "black bread," Just rye flour. No wheat. You may need to do an online purchase to get the right stuff.

Check out recipes. I had some really good, but not quite "black" pumpernickel from a Lithuanian bakery in Chi, now closed. Search w. the term Lithuanian or Polish.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Haven't tackled pumpernickel yet. Yet. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Flour ratio seems typical for many rye breads.  Some recipes will get the pumpernickel flour up in the 50% area. Pumpernickel flour is low in gluten, so depending on your preference for crumb density, you may want to add gluten to give it more lift if you go with a higher % of pumpernickel flour.  Try adding a couple teaspoons of cocoa for color. A couple of teaspoons of ground anise may be the flavor you are missing (or maybe not - anise has its fans but isn't for everyone).

This discussion has inspired me to make some rye bread so I looked for rye flour in my local Publix market today.  They carry King Arthur, Bob's Red Mill, Hodgson Mill, and Arrowhead Mills products - not the full line of any of the brands but selective items from them all.  They actually had one bag of Arrowhead Mills Rye Flour - it came home with me. I am currently starting a new sourdough starter. I think a rye loaf is on the short list for this week.
    Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to help me! Though I wonder if I am beyond help when it comes to baking. I have always understood that a sourdough starter is something that must be maintained, not just thrown together for a loaf of bread. Since I know I would never do that, I have never bothered to try it.

The recipe I used for this loaf was written for a bread machine and I used my Zojirushi. After the dough cycle was finished, I placed it in a mixing bowl, covered it and let it rise. I baked it in a cloche in my oven, not in the bread machine.

Here's the recipe I used.
    1 1/4 cups water
    2 1/2 cups flour (Used Bread flour)
    1 cup rye flour (I used Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Rye)
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 tablespoons dry milk
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    4 tablespoons molasses
    1 teaspoon instant coffee
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    1 tablespoon yeast (slightly heaping) (I used SAF instant)

Not going to add anise. Every Italian baker around here uses anise in their cookies. The cookies look so good! Until you take a bite. As you said though, it has it's fans.

Just got back from yet another store where I found Bob's Red Mill Organic Dark Rye. Still haven't found any pumpernickel flour and I will not spend nearly $10 a pound for what Amazon is selling!

I will get there... or I will settle. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    gdenby said:
    From what very little I know, there is no coffee, or cocoa, or caramel color in real "black bread," Just rye flour. No wheat. You may need to do an online purchase to get the right stuff.

Check out recipes. I had some really good, but not quite "black" pumpernickel from a Lithuanian bakery in Chi, now closed. Search w. the term Lithuanian or Polish.
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    The Bob's Red Mill Organic Dark Rye is the same thing that some call pumpernickel flour.  Pumpernickel is a specific type of dark rye bread made using whole grain rye flour (and rye meal).  For marketing purposes, some people call whole grain rye flour 'pumpernickel flour'.  There are numerous versions of dark rye breads. And while they are not technically pumpernickel, I think many of us throw around the pumpernickel word as a catch-all for dark rye breads.  

The inclusion of corn meal in the recipe is a bit surprising. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I once accidentally clicked on a post that said "here's a picture of my loaf"

i promised myself i would never make make that mistake again

ooops
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    If you order direct from King Arthur Flour, the organic pumpernickel flour is $10.95 for 3 lbs. 

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/organic-pumpernickel-flour-3-lb

Shipping is $6 & up.  Still way less than ordering from Amazon.  I like to order the KAF catalogs -- so many interesting things!