Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How much have you changed since you became Egg comfortable?

edited 3:43PM in EggHead Forum
When you first bought the Egg and started grilling or slo cooking did you find yourself anal about every step....temps., times, indirect vs, direct, use of the daisy wheel & bottom vent, how much rub, what rub, when do I sauce, do I sear first, on and on and on.....do you find yourself so comfortable with the process there's not a second thought or concern about the littlest detail? [p]This question came up as I saw an earlier post very concerned about the two gaskets being 1/8" skewed. I think I would have gone nuts tryinmg to fix it about 2 yrs ago, when I first started ....but now....what the hell....it works, leave it alone[p]Howard

Comments

• EggtuaryEggtuary Posts: 400
    Howard,
    One thing that helped me early on was some advice I read to not sweat dome temps too much. If your Egg wants to hold 225, great. If it stays up at 235 or 240, fine. Just reduce your cooking times and relax. I think I read it in Dr. BBQ's first book. This little nugget of wisdom helped me to calm down a good bit, because previously I thought there was something wrong with me when I struggled to hit 225 (without a Guru) and hold it there without a single adjustment to my vents over the course of several hours, based on the comments of some veterans who have become very adept at doing so over the years.[p]I still get pretty anal when cooking a new recipe, because I want a solid baseline for comparison when I try making changes in future cooks. For the stuff that I cook on a regular basis, though, I'm pretty laid back.

• BordersBorders Posts: 665
    Howard, the thing is so predictable and forgiving that I don't stress over much. I frankly miss the days when I sat and watched the temp gauge for hours. Why am I seeing an analogy between marriage and egg ownership??
    Scott

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 20,691
    Howard,
    my first cook was pulled pork following elderwards directions. had never had pulled pork before and it just came out great. learned right then that all the hard stuff had been worked out years ago on this forum and ive never sweated it. never cooked much on gas, used to own a weber kettle, and before that cooked roasts on a rock in the center of an open fire. im pretty laid back about the cook, but i do get a little fired up looking for the right recipe. not much has changed except the quality of the food

• randomeggerrandomegger Posts: 194
    Howard,[p]It's not my style but I did obsess over little things for a while (325 vs. 330, for example) but once I got comfortable with the egg most of that went away.[p]I'll bet my thermometer in the large is off by at least twenty degrees - I just remind myself that the gage runs a little hot and mentally adjust cooking temps. [p]I'd sort through my lump and carefully build and place my starter. Now I just dump some in until it looks right and jam a fire stick in the middle somewhere.[p]I'd clean the bottom out before every cook - now maybe every third or so unless I did an all day cook the time before.[p]In the end it depends on your personality. There is plenty here to get detail oriented about (and many on this site certainly do! They probably cook better than I do but, hey, you're egging - so how bad could it be?!) but if that's not how you approach most things in life you are likely to leave it behind as you get comfortable.[p]RE

• tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Howard,
    Anal, not really, very laid back, and really didnt get overloaded in the brain. If it works, it fine, if I screw up start over. Biggest non thinking problem I had was using a dry vac to remove my old lump, well it was still hot and melted a very nice 16 gal unit. Oh well I got a new one!