Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just hit the local market and they had a nice whole 6# brisket and a bag of fist sized chunks of Mesquite. I got em.[p]I was thinking of a 50/50 rub or cow lick and turbano sugar and putting one of those chunks of Mesquite on the lump at the start of the cook. Will this combo work well flavor-wise?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    6a5c09b3.jpg
    <p />CT Grillguy,[p]Sounds like a good score. At that size, the brisket is most likely the flat only, but it will cook up ok. The thing about mesquite is you either like it or you hate it. I for one like it, especially with brisket. You may want to start off with smaller chunks, and make sure to remove the bark. I use 1 chunk of mesquite about 1" thick and pre-burn it a little with a weed burner when I start the lump. I have a couple of smaller pieces of pecan nearby. Also let the smoke settle down before putting the meat on. Cowlick is very good with beef and little sugar won't hurt. Sugar will promote browning to some degree, and your choice of the turbinado is better than using white.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    CT Grillguy, Like thirdeye says, with mesquite - either you like it or you don't. I suggest prior to throwing on the brisket, you smoke up a small chunk (empty egg) just to have some idea what it smells like. It is a unique flavor and can be overpowering on short cooks if not used in reduced amounts when compared to other woods. I've never tried it on a long cook, like brisket. My hunch is something either the mesquite or rubs will get lost in the cook. [p]I like a subtle hint of mesquite on steaks and such. So far, mesquite and I are still battling it out to get that just right flavor. I got time and plenty of patience to make it work.[p]Let’s us know the results. T

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Forgot to add, I take it the brisket is a 6 pound flat. If the grade of meat is less than "Choice", you might want to foil that baby once it starts to move out of the plateau stage, or it might come out on the dry side. [p]So what’s the method: fat side up or down? T

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Sandbagger and Thirdeye,[p]It is actually a whole brisket. Just a little on the smallish side. It's certified Angus and I'm sure it's choice or better. I got it from a nice little mom and pop market that started off as a butcher shop years ago.[p]Ok, well I may skip the Mesquite on this one. I have some Apple chips around, would those work ok? I'm ok going without smoke as well.