Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice Strip that got away from me!

Options
Grillmagic
Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
1 1/2 inch prime NYStrip roasted indirect at 300  to 120 IT (Too Much) I should have pulled it at 110/113 IT then on a 500 degree CI for 90 seconds a side and it TPed at 138/140 (Crap) in the rest it went to 143/medium (boo) it tasted great but I am a 134 IT guy
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Options
    1 1/2 inch prime NYStrip roasted indirect at 300  to 120 IT (Too Much) I should have pulled it at 110 IT then on the CI for 90 seconds a side and it TPed at 138/140 (Crap) in the rest it went to 143/medium (boo) it tasted great but I am a 134 IT guy

• Grillmagic
    Options

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks awesome to me dude

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Grillmagic
    Options

• Grillmagic
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, Chuck, and trust me I understand your disapointment! I have become such a sous vide fan that I don't mind the extra effort to assure a perfect steak time after time. OTOH I had been a fan of hot tubbing my steaks for years - it's just that with the sous vide unit I can nail the internal temperature every time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillmagic
    edited August 2016
    Options
     I have a sous vide Demi however my wife showed up with this steak at 5:30 PM no time to SV but I am also in the SV camp.  I typically SV to 115 for three or four hours then sear on a 450/475 CI until 125/128 this works well around here!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I tend to overshoot the temp more with NY strips than with ribeyes. I guess the extra fat in a ribeye helps. 

But it I wouldn't complain about that steak!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tjsp
    tjsp Posts: 48
    Options
    How do you like that indirect divider? Do you use it often?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    NY sirloin strips cook very fast.  If you're used to cooking ribeye, it's easy to overcook.
    Options
    Once the IT gets to 100-105 the last 15 goes very fast. Strips seem the fastest. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NO FORKS!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillmagic
    Options
    caliking said:
    I tend to overshoot the temp more with NY strips than with ribeyes. I guess the extra fat in a ribeye helps. 

But it I wouldn't complain about that steak!
    I agree on the strips vs ribeye, this was operator  error. My favorite happens to be ribeye and I made the mistake of treating the strip like a ribeye.  It was still pretty good, we have some of the best sweet corn on the planet  right now in Michigan and it helped make for a great meal! 
  • Grillmagic
    edited August 2016
    Options
    NO FORKS!
     I used that fork for a chefs bite, my bad! 
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    tjsp said:
    How do you like that indirect divider? Do you use it often?
     I love the dividers  and use them all the time,  they work great for indirect as well as direct grilling at the same time,  most of my cooks are for just the Mrs. and Myself 
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Very edible steak....where did the divider come from?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Gunnar said:
    Very edible steak....where did the divider come from?

Ceramic Grill Store, I use them a lot.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sorry to hear that, Chuck, and trust me I understand your disapointment! I have become such a sous vide fan that I don't mind the extra effort to assure a perfect steak time after time. OTOH I had been a fan of hot tubbing my steaks for years - it's just that with the sous vide unit I can nail the internal temperature every time.
    @RRP my opinion of Sous Vide steak has really improved. I had always felt like the flavor was not as good as a traditionally cooked steak.
    The last ribeyes I cooked were water bathed to 100 deg for maybe 1.5 hrs. They were around 1 1/4 inches thick. 
    I finished them on the PK grill about 2 inches from the charcoal. 
    Starting the final sear at 100 deg gave the steak more time over the charcoal and the flavor was excellent. I cooked them until about medium rare.
    Seeing your post about it encouraged me to keep trying.
    I'm now a Sous Vide convert.