Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs and Tri-Tips

Options
outdoorsmin
outdoorsmin Posts: 58
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Where do you guys buy your beef ribs/dino bones or tri-tips. I have tried Sams Club and other grocery stores (cub) in my area and I haven't found them yet? Do I have to go to the local redic price expensive butcher for them? Thanks

Comments

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I buy both those items at my local SAMs club. You just have to go, or call, during the day and have one of the butchers do it for you. 
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    We also buy ours at Sam's.  The large, whole ribs are not out in the cases.  You have to ask the butcher.  Half the time they look at you like you're crazy, so you must be persistent.  Just let them know you want the cryo packs of "uncut" beef ribs (before the cut them in half).  They come 3 ribs to a rack, and 2 racks to a pack.  They are outstanding!!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Tri-Tip is hard to come by here but we have 1 local market that carries it from time to time (Stauffers) and 1 meat seller at a local Farmer's market that has it (King's Fresh Meats at Green Dragon Farmers Market).

Beef ribs I get at Restaurant Depot - they have both Chuck Short Ribs (bone on or boneless) and Plate Ribs as well as Beef Back RIbs.

@outdoorsmin , where are you located - someone near you might have a good source.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    I am located in MN/Twin Cities. I have asked Sams Club about Tri-Tip and they said they don't carry that cut. I will ask about the Beef Ribs. Maybe my Sams Club doesn't like me :)
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I just bought these from The Fatted Calf Bowling Green KY. They custom cut. 
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I just bought these from The Fatted Calf Bowling Green KY. They custom cut. 

Thanks for rubbing it in :)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    im only seeing tritips at the local butcher lately 2.5 pounders, 25 bucks. been skipping those for same size flanks at 17 dollars, they almost taste the same to me if i sousvide them 118 degrees close to the 4 hour mark then sear. this is newengland here, i can tell people the flank im slicing up is tritip, nobody knows for the bettah =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Options
    I am located in MN/Twin Cities. I have asked Sams Club about Tri-Tip and they said they don't carry that cut. I will ask about the Beef Ribs. Maybe my Sams Club doesn't like me :)

places like Sam's Club and Costco don't have much leeway as to what cuts they can get since it is usually controlled from a corporate level.  You need to go to a store with a good meat manager and ask if they will order the cuts you want.

There are restaurant Depot stores in your area - check out their web page for locations:  http://www.restaurantdepot.com/  It is a free membership store but if you run any type of business you can show them your paperwork andthey will give you a card. Alternatively, you can join KCBS and get a daypass at RD any time you wish.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Tri Tip can be had @ most Cub stores.  Edina has them most of the time.  I get chuck ribs from Jerry's in Edina you just have to ask the butcher for them in the cryovac bag.  I have also heard that the Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn Center does not require a membership do to city ordinances and have heard that they have the plate ribs readily available.
    Edina, MN

• outdoorsmin
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    Tri Tip can be had @ most Cub stores.  Edina has them most of the time.  I get chuck ribs from Jerry's in Edina you just have to ask the butcher for them in the cryovac bag.  I have also heard that the Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn Center does not require a membership do to city ordinances and have heard that they have the plate ribs readily available.

I have never heard of Restaurant Depot I will have to check this out. 
    My Cub (Shakopee) will have Tri Tips once in a while however they are cut into smaller cuts. Doesn't look like your regular Tri Tip.  Thank you for your help
  • Shiff
    Options

I have never heard of Restaurant Depot I will have to check this out. 
    My Cub (Shakopee) will have Tri Tips once in a while however they are cut into smaller cuts. Doesn't look like your regular Tri Tip.  Thank you for your help
    Restaurant Depot is an amazing store and you should visit it just to see what they have.  The ones near me have numerous types of packer briskets (Angus, Choice, Select, but no prime).  They also have bone-in Chuck Short ribs and Plate ribs.  They also have boneless chuck short ribs.  Everything is cryovac packed so they are large sizes.  You can buy individual packages or a case for a discount.  Their prices are very good on the meats.  Most also have extremely good seafood departments with very fresh fish.

Definitely worth a trip - bring a jacket since the meat/fish/dairy cooler is a large room.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA