Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on used eggs.

Options
Any experiences or thoughts in general?  There are several out there and people seem willing to negotiate. 
VA Beach

Comments

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I think there is a problem with the lifetime warranty but I am not certain. Even so, if the price were right and you give it a close inspection for cracks inside and out...heck, why NOT!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I would buy used but it would have to be 1/2 off or more.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have bought many used eggs and have over time got rid of the used ones and have receipts for all mine now. The ceramic pieces do crack fairly frequently and one that cracks is the base. One base and even if you paid half price of a new one you are now at full price and still don't have a warranty. It's a lifetime grill/smoker just buy a new one and if you want to save a little go to an eggfest and have a fun day and buy a demo that has full warranty.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options

I went outside not 30 minutes ago to fire up my XL and found a crack in the fire ring. Doesn't affect the ability to cook. It's just another reminder that stuff can and will happen. I'll swing by the mothership tomorrow and get another one since I'm going that way. 

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    So I intend to agree. I sometimes wonder about the prices people put on their used eggs. $850-900 for a large with a plate setter. Doesn't give any incentive to buy used. Some get it and start off with asking around $600. 
    VA Beach
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There are two kinds of eggs. Those that have cracked and those that soon will. Still, if you don't know that, or have no idea what parts cost, you may bite at what seems to be an attractive used price.

There are a lot of guys out there who don't know jack about eggs. And plenty of sellers who are more than willing to take advantage of that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would stay away from a used egg. The lack of a warranty scares me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I've got two used eggs that have been with me for over 5 years now. I would say go for it if the price is right. 
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Price should be really right. No warranty serious discount price. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a used large and at $250.00 for a the egg, nest, platesetter it was a great deal and I don't give a rats $** about the warranty............ If the price is right go for it.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have a used large and at $250.00 for a the egg, nest, platesetter it was a great deal and I don't give a rats $** about the warranty............ If the price is right go for it.  
    I would probably jump on that deal as well. I do give a rats ass about the warranty though. I have bad luck. I am the guy that would buy a used one that had only been cooked on one time, and it would fall apart the first time I used it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Every egg I have owned except my MM the base has cracked on. Even at $250 it's not worth it to me. One base and a fire box and you're back at full price.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There are too many variables for an answer. I have got great deals(IMO) because i paid $350 for the newest model size Large egg with a table, fire bricks, cast iron grate, reg grate, etc etc. It was barely used by a retired and handicapped Vet. He ised it once and i got lucky. Sold it a few months later because of no warranty. That wouldn't have bothered anybody else and they would have thought it was a deal of a lifetime. Prior to that Large i had purchased a used size Small Egg and it was horrendous. I was so uneducated that i didnt bother to smell inside until i got home and the smell of Kingsford charcoal and lighter fluid were soaked into all of the internal ceramics. Smoke/fumes on every cook were toxic and made me gag. Got rid of it ASAP. If its cheap enough to not bother you or you wont curse yourself out when it eventually does break...go for it. Took me about 7 eggs until i learned my lesson.
    Austin, Tx
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The dealers i bought my eggs from don't exist anymore

emailed a pic to the nearest dealer, and they provides me a fire grate and fire box without any trouble 

maybe they actually DO contact HQ and dig out your registration card now, but I haven't had any issues

meaning: usually they just ask for pics to shiw the local distributor. As far as i can tell they don't really care who the original owner was, so much as that the part is actually damaged. 

YMMV

EDIT: funny to see the tide turn on so many things here. The 'standard' forum response was always "that's a great price, to heck with the warranty "
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    make sure to remove the firebox, clean the bottom base inside and inspect it really good, a crack can start out as a hairline and  you really need to look for it. you can cook decades on cracked fireboxes, might not look pretty but still usable. you dont want a cracked base cooking any where near anything burnable. base that into your offer, theres also more inventory of used year after year with all the new ceramic versions out there, i would lowball a price on a used egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Bought my L plus the nest used 5yrs ago used. Have only replaced gaskets. Turning out fine meats ever since.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Not worth it, these things break
  • DrKrieger
    Options
    Bought my large from my aunt/uncle this past spring for $200, was a bit leary since it has been bought in 1998 and was sitting outside under a tarp for the last 5-6 years (located in Ontario).  So far I haven't had issues, just loaded it with charcoal and did a ceramic dry-out cycle before I brought it to high temps.   
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If the price is right sure. Like anything used you assume the risk. That said there are many folks here that own or have owned used. I wouldn't buy unless it was at least less than half of a new one. Good luck. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    I have 2 Large and 1 Mini I have bought off of CL ( along with some other ceramic Grills) Total investment on all 3$800.00 no complaints no issues
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Like many have said, it's not worth it unless the price is CHEAP, a case in point, missed out on this deal few days ago dayum, CAD 99 is about USD 75 and that includes chimney starter and an open bag RO!

canuckland
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    ive been cooking on my used egg for 9 years id buy a new one when this one finally dies.
    HFX NS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    For $250 I would be all over a large!  Remember, the parts you buy later have a full warranty. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I have 2 Large and 1 Mini I have bought off of CL ( along with some other ceramic Grills) Total investment on all 3$800.00 no complaints no issues
    But gee if your firebox cracks you're in trouble (sarcasm).
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    A used Egg was a reasonable option back when BGE and Primo were the only two players in town at this price-point; but now that there are very good ceramic grills from companies like Vision and Kamado Joe with lifetime warranties and at considerably lower prices (Costco roadshows, etc.), a used Egg only makes sense if it is priced considerably lower than a new KJ or Vision.