Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Store Bought Bacon..

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
What's your favorite brand?  I'd been buying OM thick cut, but now it seems as though the fat to meat ratio has increased significantly.  BTW, I bake just 2-3 slices at a time in the toaster oven for breakfast or a bacon burger.  TIA!!~~

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    We love Nueske's applewood smoked bacon.  Really smoky, yummy stuff.  We often buy regular grocery store bacon, too, and I don't see an awful lot of difference, really, between them.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I like Wright's thick cut. (Original) I can get it at my Walmart in 3# packs. Holds up to smoking on the egg nicely. OM center cut if at the grocery store. Home made when I have some...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    OK, now I'll be looking for center-cut.  Thanks!!
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Wright brand think cut if I cant find the wonderful and highly prized Benton's bacon. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wright brand bacon hickory smoked

Butcher cut Smithfield (it's a little thicker than their center cut).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Neese's. They are a local Greensboro NC company and we enjoy all their pork products. Their bacon is great as well !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wright
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Publix brand regular. Always cooks light and crispy never salty. We always cook in the oven 
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Neese's. They are a local Greensboro NC company and we enjoy all their pork products. Their bacon is great as well !!!
    It's also been said on this forum by a certain person that Neese's products are so good you could wrap a turd in it and it would still taste good !!! I am just saying !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Wright Applewood. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Among the supermarket standards where I live, Oscar's is generally the best. Myself, more fat than usual isn't a problem. I'm just wanting delicious. More fat means the fried potatoes will be crispier.

There are 2 places I near me that carry Usinger's and Nueske's. Both are upper Midwest brands, Wisconsin. I have limited experience w. the products, but I'd give the edge to Usinger's.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Long been a fan of OM - in fact so engrained that other brands taste off to me. As for the fat ratio I make no bones about it I inspect the back window of every package before it goes in my cart. It's not hard to be selective. BTW just like lump and other things I buy on sale and it's nothing for me to buy 8 to 12 pounds at a time and freeze it. It baffles me when people walk by and just grab a pound or two without ever inspecting it. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like Farmlands hickory smoked. Not fair to compare Nueske's to regular supermarket. Nueske's is another level. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I buy whatever is thick cut and on sale at RD to stock up....My go to ABT Bacon is OM low sodium. ( less salty to let the pepper and stuffing shine ! )
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Can you get Nueske's at any grocery stores in the Atlanta area?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oscar Meyer for me.  We have about 7 different brands available here, none of the above except Farmland, OM still my favorite.  And I prefer regular slices to "thick".
    Personal Rant:  I despise "center-cut" bacon; they cut off the just-as-good ends, reducing the weight, then double the price.  WTFF?!?!?!?   Fight The Man, DON'T buy center-cut!!!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• pgprescott
    Options
    Hub said:
    Can you get Nueske's at any grocery stores in the Atlanta area?
    Mail order. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nueske's
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wrights 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Brddog
    Brddog Posts: 18
    Options
    It is funny as you get older what advice from your mom you remember (perhaps selectively). She taught me to have a firm handshake and look people in the eye. She also told me you can skimp on a lot of groceries, but don't skimp on bacon. Cheap bacon is generally just that, cheap bacon mostly fat.

With that said can't say I have a favorite, but I recently was given thick cut bacon from a locally processed hog and it was incredible. 
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    edited August 2016
    Options
    DaBecca thick cut from Costco. It's legit 
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    I like Farmlands hickory smoked. Not fair to compare Nueske's to regular supermarket. Nueske's is another level. 

Question on on the Farmland. I have long bought it or OM depending on price. A couple of months ago I bought a couple of pounds and it had a real off taste. Color looked fine but it tasted spoiled. Wife agreed. 
    I took the one pound (uncooked in pack still) back for refund and then sent FL an email with the lot number etc... wondering if they had an issue. To their credit they sent me coupons for a couple of pounds. 
    Bought a couple of more, fried up the first one and had the same issue. So bad I couldn't even eat it and tossed it and the second uncooked pound.
    so my question is have I just had a run of bad luck with them or have the materially changed their product recently?  Been buying their stuff 20 years and liked it fine. All the sudden one bite and I'm spitting it out. 

• pgprescott
    Options

Question on on the Farmland. I have long bought it or OM depending on price. A couple of months ago I bought a couple of pounds and it had a real off taste. Color looked fine but it tasted spoiled. Wife agreed. 
    I took the one pound (uncooked in pack still) back for refund and then sent FL an email with the lot number etc... wondering if they had an issue. To their credit they sent me coupons for a couple of pounds. 
    Bought a couple of more, fried up the first one and had the same issue. So bad I couldn't even eat it and tossed it and the second uncooked pound.
    so my question is have I just had a run of bad luck with them or have the materially changed their product recently?  Been buying their stuff 20 years and liked it fine. All the sudden one bite and I'm spitting it out. 

I haven't, but anything is possible these days.