Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizer Idea for Homemade Bacon?

Options
I really should have done this a long time ago. @bgebrent helped get me started on some Rosemary garlic bacon. I just pulled it off and man I have been cheating myself. The complexity of flavor in this is incredible. 

I have a party on Friday night and I need to do an app, so I figured I could incorporate this. It's way too intense for a simple ABT, poppers, or bacon wrapped shrimp. Honestly the flavor is too strong. 

All ideas are welcome. 

Please excuse the burnt piece. My toddler only likes crunchy bacon. And now she is drinking a gallon of water. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    So far the app to beat is a polenta cake with a goat cheese/cream cheese mix with a 1/4 piece of medium sliced bacon with blackberry sauce. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with a bit of cheese - easy to prep a bunch ahead of time and easy to cook

pig candy is also on my list - never made it but that might be good
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    smoke a stick of cream cheese at 250 for 2 hours with your favorite rub, smear it on wheat crackers with some bacon bits on top. some like the cream cheese still warm, im liking it back at room temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit  (or @bgebrent)...do you have that rosemary/garlic recipe handy anywhere?  For the first time my Costco was carrying full bellies so I picked up a 10# to give it a go.  I was going to cut it into thirds and try 3 recipes.  I was going to a Salt/Pepper/Brown Sugar and a Maple/Jalapeno.  This Rosemary/Garlic will be a good departure from these.

Thanks!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Dice into lardons/bits for any app or side dish really.  Pizza would be a great start, helping to cut the cure with the other ingredients.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    smoke a stick of cream cheese at 250 for 2 hours with your favorite rub, smear it on wheat crackers with some bacon bits on top. some like the cream cheese still warm, im liking it back at room temp
    I'd love to try this, but I have questions about the smoking of the cream cheese.  Wouldn't it melt at 250?  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    have done several now, best was just bad byrons butt rub. have made some sweet, some savory, savory seems to be the winner. all your out is a block of cream cheese. used blueberry wood on these

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks for the picture and info!  Good point about being out just a block of cheese, I was concerned about the potential mess but your picture clarifies everything.  Thanks!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice work brother!  I'm glad you like it as much as I do!  I like all the ideas above.  You could also have little bacon and chicken bites.  Simple but tasty.

@chadpsualum I'll pm you later with details and the method I shared with brother Killit_and_Grillit.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with a bit of cheese - easy to prep a bunch ahead of time and easy to cook

pig candy is also on my list - never made it but that might be good
    Uhhh. Yeah one of my favorites. I may add this to the lineup. I may just do bacon extravaganza. 

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Since the pieces of bacon are much wider, why not use the bacon as your bottom layer, similar to a chip, cracker, etc.  Have some shrimp to top with some of Fish's smoked cream cheese.  

Would be as per the below: 

1 - Bottom - Bacon square
    2 - On top of Bacon square - Smoked cream cheese
    3 - On top of cream cheese - Your shrimp
    4 - On top of shrimp - Sauce of sort
    5 - On top of sauce - chives for garnish.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    The Thirsty Monk in Asheville, NC has an appetitizer called 'Pint of Bacon' on its menu.  It is a pint glass, filled with cooked strips of bacon.

Don't overthink things.  =)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    If you haven't sliced it all, slice some thick and cook slowly in the oven.  Love Matt's idea of using it as a cracker.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Acn said:
    The Thirsty Monk in Asheville, NC has an appetitizer called 'Pint of Bacon' on its menu.  It is a pint glass, filled with cooked strips of bacon.

Don't overthink things.  =)
    Morton's has a similar cup O' bacon... Although it's beef bacon and delicious.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Bacon wrapped Brussels Sprouts, Try Ito before knocking it. .Remove stem and soak in a salt brine. Remove, wrap with bacon and grill on high heat.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Bacon wrapped Brussels Sprouts, Try Ito before knocking it. .Remove stem and soak in a salt brine. Remove, wrap with bacon and grill on high heat.
      Oh no knocking it here. We do brussels with a balsamic reduction and crumbled bacon.  

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Legume said:
    If you haven't sliced it all, slice some thick and cook slowly in the oven.  Love Matt's idea of using it as a cracker.
    I kept most of it in tact to give a couple options and let it hold a little better. I think I'll try the cracker just to see how it does. My sister (the chef with a culinary degree) is coming over Friday to work on some options. 

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You must post up the creations brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You must post up the creations brother!
    I owe you that much. The main course bailed so my sister is gonna come over and help me prep. We will do some extra apps but the theme is blackberry 3 ways. In the app, on the main dish, and blackberry/peach cobbler for dessert. Part of me wants to do bacon in all dishes as well

South of Nashville, TN

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Wrap meatballs in bacon. Cook indirect until fat rendered and/or somewhat crispy bacon. Add few drop of BBQ sauce and a cube of cheddar cheese. 

Did these once and I could feel the cholesterol rising
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Blackberry x3.  Bacon x3.  I think you also need Bourbon x3, you know, just to keep it even.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Make some carbonara.  I used some of my homemade bacon to make some a few weeks back and it was fantastic.  It's not all that common in the US unless you go to a very authentic Italian restaurant (or it's a hack job).