Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indoor gardens (inspired by @Dredger)

Options

Dredger said:
No "soylent green" for this household. We decided to ramp up our indoor gardening for a number of reasons. The main ones being quality and knowing where our food was coming from and knowing it was non-GMO. Is this system for everyone? Heck no, but it works for us. All of these were planted less than a month ago. We grow lettuce, greens, herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. The herbs, lettuce and greens are "cut and come again" varieties and will produce for months. When those plants are finished, we just plant more and keep going.

From that other interesting topic-

@Dredger ,  can you ID your equipment?
Looks excellent. 

What do you typically try to always have on hand?

Any luck growing cherry tomatoes / sweet100s indoors?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sister Dredger kicks a$$. She is one of my forum favorites.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

Dredger said:
    No "soylent green" for this household. We decided to ramp up our indoor gardening for a number of reasons. The main ones being quality and knowing where our food was coming from and knowing it was non-GMO. Is this system for everyone? Heck no, but it works for us. All of these were planted less than a month ago. We grow lettuce, greens, herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. The herbs, lettuce and greens are "cut and come again" varieties and will produce for months. When those plants are finished, we just plant more and keep going.

From that other interesting topic-

@Dredger ,  can you ID your equipment?
    Looks excellent. 

What do you typically try to always have on hand?

Any luck growing cherry tomatoes / sweet100s indoors?

I believe she mentioned it in that last thread.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Wow. I seemed to have missed the initial thread. I actually live near @dredger I wouldn't mind visiting!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @Sweet100s those are Aerogardens. They are the Bounty and Ultra models. We always have Romaine lettuce, a variety of herbs, Asian greens, Kale and various other greens. These items grow quickly and are ready to start harvesting in 3 to 4 weeks. The rule of thumb here is to harvest no more than 1/3 of the plant and they just keep growing and producing. We also grow Heirloom cherry tomatoes (pictured above), Mega tomatoes, and banana peppers. Tomatoes and peppers take longer to grow to harvest, about 3 months and produce, usually, for at least 6 months. All of the gardens we use are tall gardens, meaning that the grow lights will extend 2 feet above the grow deck, which is necessary for tomatoes and peppers. The sweet 100 get much too tall for an Aerogarden without a LOT of excessive pruning. Better to stick with a plant that you know won't exceed the 2 feet of available growing height. Aerogarden has several tomato and pepper kits available that fit nicely in their tall machines. 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @SGH, you know how I love my toys. I'm just lucky my interests run along the line of things that will feed us. To borrow your numbering system, Unit #15 was delivered yesterday. We keep saying that we don't have room for any more, but keep finding a spot to squeeze one in. I'll be glad when Amazon takes those suckers off sale. I think they bought up all of the stock that Aerogarden had available of the Bounties. It's a sweet little machine.

@Elijah, this is a great area to live in, isn't it? Come on by. 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm starting one on Friday!  Thanks Dredger! 

(edit - the herbs will be ready for Thansgiving that way, right?)
  • Dredger
    Options
    (edit - the herbs will be ready for Thansgiving that way, right?)
    @Sweet100s, actually, you will start harvesting in about three weeks. You start harvesting herbs very early. The more you harvest, the faster they grow. Just remember the rule that you harvest no more than 1/3 of the plant at a time and it just keeps growing stronger and larger. Herbs, lettuces, and greens are "cut and come again" meaning that you harvest continually and they replenish themselves for about three or four months until it's time to plant again. The gift that keeps on giving, lol.

This is a good YouTube video series about tending and harvesting your herb garden. I think there are eight short videos that take you step by step as your garden grows and tells you how to harvest and maintain it. They are using a much older Classic 7 machine, but your LED machine will grow much quicker, so just use this as a guideline.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IAWZ0q8UAs&index=59&list=UUKWCKy70tUd2M6iZ9BI9DJA

This is a link to the Aerogarden support section that has the printed instructions you may find helpful. http://media.aerogardenimages.com/media/wysiwyg/kbase/2015_507310-0A.UNV.TH.4.30.HERB.pdf

You will probably want to set your machine so that the lights come on during the daylight hours. I have all of mine set to come on at 6:00 am. The control panel will prompt you on choosing that option.

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy growing as much as we do. If you have any questions, just yell. We've been growing in these since 2002, so we're a walking knowledge base.  :)

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC