Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Cook Help

Options
Hey all,

For my fourth cook on my LBGE I decided I'd do a brisket overnight.  Got the temp up to 250 around 11PM last night and positioned the dials just right and at 12:30 went to bed.  Woke up this morning at 6:30AM and the dome temp was under 200.  Internal temp of the brisket was at 148. 

I quickly got the temp back up to 250 again.  Did I just loose a $50 bet?  Anyone have this problem?  Did their brisket turn out okay?  I plan on foiling at 170 and pulling at 200 IT.

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Take a deep breath, your fine and so is the brisket.  No harm done, just keep going as planned, all is well.  Happens all the time,  I'm sure all others will agree.  Post some pics of the final results and enjoy.  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have a hard time keeping my large stable under 250 - always chasing temps.  If I am for 250 or higher it is locked in.  You should be ok.  Some of my best briskets were when I was up all night chasing temps.  

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    As above, no issues or worries with the overnight temps-just may prolong the cook.  What follows is a thread that covers about all you will ever need to read about brisket cooks.  Give it a look when you can.  And regarding pulling-go by feel not temp.  And the feel is in the thickest part of the flat.  FWIW-

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    As mentioned before you, and your brisket will be fine. For the short term by a Maverick wireless thermometer that will alarm when pit temp drops. I eventually purchased a CyberQ controller (still use my Maverick to alert me) for long cooks to keep pit stable. I need a good night of sleep before I party with guest the next day. ☺
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I have a hard time keeping my large stable under 250 - always chasing temps.  If I am for 250 or higher it is locked in.  You should be ok.  Some of my best briskets were when I was up all night chasing temps.  
    This is exactly what I used to do, and exactly why I got the temperature controller, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, as a birthday gift. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I had this happen when it stated raining in the morning that wasn't in the focasted.  I opened the vents up a little more and it was all fine.  I got the SmokeWare SS Cap and no more problems.  You should be fine as everyone else as said.  The stall can start in the 140's so don't freak out if it has stayed there for a while.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • drgordon
    drgordon Posts: 31
    Options
    Great advice.  Im about 12 hours into the cook and temp has hit 178.  How long can I FTC?  People are coming at 6 tonight.  Want to make sure IT doesn't go below the danger zone at 140.  
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    4 hours FTC is no issue (and you'll likely need less than that). Some folks have done up to 8 depending on the cut of meat and a few other variables. Enjoy!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • drgordon
    drgordon Posts: 31
    Options
    The cook ended up being a success.  Thanks for the help!