Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sloppy Joes and a special guest

Options
The boy wanted sloppy joes tonight so I thought what the hell, let's egg them.

Totally made up the sauce as I went and it came out great.  Probably best Joes I've had.  I also took a recipe from my dad and modified it for the side.

Dad used to make something he called "chicken packets" on the old char-broil.  Take a chicken quarter, mix with some broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes and cover with cream of chicken soup in a foil packet.  I left out the chicken for a creamy vegetable side.

Then while we were eating a young buck decided to wander by.  He's been coming by for a while, it's been cool to see him grow up and watch those antlers come in.

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Cannot either plan nor replace moments like this one.  Enjoy with your family, great cook, better story, and Eggcellent evening.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    you and your son might want to keep an eye open for when then that buck sheds his antlers for sake of growing new ones. Shed antler pieces make cool zipper pulls especially when it's winter and you have heavy gloves on!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Well done. Glad you could share some of your dads cooking with your son 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great now but, went to bed without eating every time my mom made sloppy joes until I was 16. She finally stopped making them- 

she loves onions and insisted putting them in- I love them now but would throw a sh!t fit back in the day. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great post! Love the pics too, esp the deer!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I live in a suburban neighborhood, now, and the only deer I see are on the side of the highway, but gosh I loved that picture.  I love seeing deer.

The meal looked great, too!  Nice way to honor your dad, cooking the "packets." 
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive comments.  Our buck decided to lay down and chill out just behind the tree line.  He's been laying there for about an hour now.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Offer him some wine. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Deer are frequent visitors in our yard - I mean DEER as in plural! Most I ever saw at the same time was a herd of 11 in broad daylight. While deer are cool up close they also can wreck expensive landscaping! While Bambi is cute on her 4 wobby legs she will soon be destroying most anything in your yard. Having managed this onslaught for 36 years now the product I highly recommend is called Liquid Fence. It is expensive as a concentrate, but you only need to spray your plants once a month. $40 for a quart of it is cheap compared to replacing expensive landscaping! Do it now before that buck gets a girl friend who will sit up her home right there at your tree line.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sloppy Joes are a staple around our house in the cold weather months. Home made of course.  

I also have have a deer friend that hangs around. If he is like mine, he is waiting you out....as he is eying some of your best plants. Ha they gotta eat too. 

Looks lije a great great night all the way around. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice evening with family. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    RRP said:
    While Bambi is cute on her 4 wobby legs she will soon be destroying most anything in your yard
    I think Bambi was a boy...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA