Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hairline Cracks in the Glaze.....

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone actually looked close at the glaze on their eggs and noticed little hairline spider cracks going every which way?
The bottom section of my egg is full of them......not so much on the lid!
Very thin cracks, looks almost like frost forming on a cold surface![p]Roger!

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Mop, Think this is fairly standard behaviour in an Egg as it stretches its legs, so to speak, providing they are hairline cracks through glaze only, as you seemed to imply. When I got mine home and set up, I noticed it had a chunk (about 1 cm square) out of its lower lip. Went back to Homeflame and got some Egg paint they had on hand, doctored it up and you can't tell the difference now. I meant to tell you to ask for a bit of touch-up paint. I have some that I can give you when we eventually have the pleasure of meeting up.
    BBQfan1[p]

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    BBQfan1, Yes, they seem to be extremely shallow....
    There is a fair amount of touch up paint on the egg already, that would have been from the factory cause when I picked up the egg from Homeflame, it was Shrink Wrapped!
    I must sound like I`m complaining.....I`m not, merely noticing things and wondering if there common amongst all other units!....
    I love the Egg!...cracks or no cracks.....[p] After 15.5 hours The Butt in the Egg is at 187º internal and the Egg is at 300º.....
    Getting near the end.......Smells wonderfull!!!!!!
    Roger!

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Mop,[p]
    Both of my eggs are full of them. I noticed the same thing when I picked them up. No problem I presume. :>)[p]Mick