Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Boston Butt!

Options
Been awhile since I posted a cook....

Two Costco boneless butts, 1 with DP's Jamaican Firewalk (at this forum's suggestion) and 1 with Honey Hog.  Plenty of hickory and cherry chunks mixed in.  Planning on going 225 overnight with the help of my trust FB200.  I expect it to take around 14 hours and of course no foil!  I loooove that bark.

pictures of the prep to follow with pictures of the finished product coming tomorrow afternoon.  

Have a a great night all.

A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Let us know how Jamaican firewalk turns out.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • TacoChicken
    Options
    Can't wait to see the end result
    LRG BGE 
    Maverick ET-732
    North Georgia
    Go Green Bay Packers

• stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    So!!! What's going on. How them buts look.
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Agreed, how about an update!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    11 hours on and we have a meet temp of 160.....I'm in no rush so I'm letting it ride around 225-230....

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looking great... Bring it home!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Robo2015
    Options
    15 hours and going....I'm a patient man but even so, I just cranked her up to 250.

• Robo2015
    Options
    Man, 18 hours and counting....190 internal temp, almost there now....

• stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    Man thats crazy 18h On butts. I wonder if it will taste better then a turbo butt
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • Robo2015
    Options
    Man thats crazy 18h On butts. I wonder if it will taste better then a turbo butt
    I did a turbo butt once and it wasn't for me.  My butts usually run me 14 hours.  This time I tried putting the grate temp probe in a different spot and it slowed me up just a bit.  No biggie though, I'm in no hurry.

• Robo2015
    Options
    Hahaha! I can't speak for the age of the guys who like turbo cooks...but you have me pegged.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @SoCalTim -  I recently transitioned to the old retired "every day is Saturday" life-style.  I have been a staunch supporter of the L&S virtues on every cook since day-1 (and that was well before checking out of the work force).  SWMBO eggscape time knows no age  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Robo2015
    Options
    Reached the finish line after a 21 hour cook!  Never planned on it taking that long, but it came in right at dinner time.  I could not have planned that better if I wanted to! Thank you FB200 for allowing me to get a good night sleep and get all those errands done.

Pulled pork was awesome.  I thought the Jamaican Fire rub worked real well with it.  I like the flavor of the honey hog, but don't like the bark it makes as much as the DP line.  As usual, when asked to compare them the wife said, "It tastes great, but I can't taste any difference between them."

Some pictures for you all.  The minimalists out there will have to forgive me for my sandwich, I was craving a "loaded" pulled pork sandwich all week.....

Jamaican Fire...

Honey Hog...

Aaaaannnnddddd my sandwich.  I guess the diet starts tomorrow....

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Dang- great cook and result.  I would pound that sandwich several times over. Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    How many lbs? I usually turbo but timing won't work out for my son's birthday tomorrow. Planning on going L&S tonight and hopefully have time to FTC for a while. Trying to anticipate how long it will take
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Robo2015
    Options
    How many lbs? I usually turbo but timing won't work out for my son's birthday tomorrow. Planning on going L&S tonight and hopefully have time to FTC for a while. Trying to anticipate how long it will take
    13.5 total lbs.  several reasons why mine took forever.  I kept the temp at 225 overnight, but for the first time I clipped my grate probe to my meat probe instead of the grate itself.  So I think it read a slightly higher temp than the grate was at.  I also don't wrap because I like the bark.  I usually come in at 14 hours on the nose.  I also let it go to 203.  I think some pull earlier and I might do that if I was going to FTC.  Enjoy that birthday party!

• 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    Do you flip the butts over or rotate them during the cook?
  • Robo2015
    Options
    I don't @78 T140E.  I try not to even peak at them that much.

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    Robo2015 said:
    13.5 total lbs.  several reasons why mine took forever.  I kept the temp at 225 overnight, but for the first time I clipped my grate probe to my meat probe instead of the grate itself.  So I think it read a slightly higher temp than the grate was at.  I also don't wrap because I like the bark.  I usually come in at 14 hours on the nose.  I also let it go to 203.  I think some pull earlier and I might do that if I was going to FTC.  Enjoy that birthday party!
    Thanks! I have an 8.25 lb so that helps. Even if I finish early I'll be fine with FTC until it's time to eat
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    One word - DAMN! 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    BZ!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC