Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what size of egg should I buy?

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I grill for 3 to 10 people. Average 5-6 people. Would you buy large or extra large egg?

Comments

• This is a question often asked around here...the consensus is a large.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Chuck,[p]Sounds like you cook for more people the the average Egger, seems the XL would suit your needs.[p]Just my opinion.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Chuck,
    i agree with smitty if you are doing steaks or burgers it may be hard but a whole chicken large should be ok i have gotten 12-15lb turkey on mine but xl sounds about right but depends on what u r cooking

• Chuck,[p]If you plan to grill for that many regularly, get the XL. I did so in March and haven't second-guessed the decision for a split-second.[p]Cheers - John
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Chuck,
    I disagee with some of the advice you've been given. I would strongly suggest you get the large, especially if it's your first BGE. It's a perfect fit for your requirements. We sell more of the large size than all the other sizes combined............

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    Hi,
    I own both the large an XL. I believe each has its advantage. The large does not require as much fuel as the XL. I'm not sure if that is significant. True, the dome on the large is a little taller (1 1/4" I believe) whereas the with the XL dome it is larger across its top and provides more capacity than the large: not counting the additional space on the grate which is about a 30 to 50% increase over the Large, depending upon what you are cooking. I am also incline to believe that the XL offers better control when you are cooking in the lower temp ranges below 250 due to the much larger grate area which has many more air holes. At least I find that to be true from my experience. I do not believe you will go wrong with either one. They are both great cookers. I might add that numerous individual who recommend the large have never used an XL. The saying on this site use to be “buy the largest you can afford.” The XL is a great Egg and I believe will meet you requirements.
    Bob
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    egret,[p]I bought a large myself as my first egg, than I bought another large 45 days after that. So you might say I believe in the "Large" as a cooker. If I was cooking for that many people on a regular basis (which I do), and could only have one cooker...I'd still go XL. [p]Not sure if your sales history is relevant here in this case. I recently sold 23 Demo Eggs at our local Eggfest, 9 large, 7 XL's. Considering the price difference, I'd say that is a 1 to 1 ratio or close to it. [p]Just more of my babbling opinions...and I got lot's more if anyone wants to here them. LOL[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Chuck, I would say large or two larges. This is coming from a person with more than one large that cooks for two to four most of the time using one large. I say this because you could then have two different temp cooks going at the same time giving you a little more variety.[p]Jus my 2 cents worth, but one leads to more,
    Poppasam

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]"Just more of my babbling opinions...and I got lot's more if anyone wants to here them".[p]I do have some thoughts on the above, but I'll respect the "House of Miller"...and just LMAO!!![p]Evans[p]PS.. by the way...are you insinuating that we actually have a choice...?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!