Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

perfect sized Egg...for me anyway...

Options
I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have to add my two cents... For a family of 3 (ours) or 4 (many others) I think the Medium Egg is ideal. Kinda like the story of the three bears...not too big, not too little, just right.

For those just getting into Egging, I would highly recommend it. Sure 15 inch diameter isn't huge, but it really is just big enough for most cooks, especially when you get accessories that let you bump up the capacity like extended grates and such. You record an economy of charcoal, and are really being "green" in the process. Now I do also have a Weber Genesis propane grill to take up the slack for non-critical cooks for hot dogs, sausage, corn etc. but for the main event, the medium holds more than enough for the more critical items (ribs, steaks, burgers, roasts, you name it).

Just sayin' because, many are put off by the high cost of a XL and associated accessories. I say, don't worry, get the medium and it will cure the itch. If you get even more itch you can always buy a L or XL and sell (heaven forbid) the medium...or just keep it for back up or a gift to the grandkids.

Just sayin...

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've always had large eggs, but I'm sure a medium would be plenty big for most of the cooks I do as well.
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    @GregW, I have to admit, that the choice of a medium was not by design, a very good friend of mine (read: VERY GOOD friend) gave me one as a gift and it has been a perfect fit. He has a medium as well. We both have small families and it just works. Hey, different strokes for different folks :)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    flyerdoc said:
    @GregW, I have to admit, that the choice of a medium was not by design, a very good friend of mine (read: VERY GOOD friend) gave me one as a gift and it has been a perfect fit. He has a medium as well. We both have small families and it just works. Hey, different strokes for different folks :)
    I have two large eggs, I wish one was a medium. It would be great for a lot of the things I cook.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    A medium would work for most of my cooks, but I'm not sure if a full packer brisket would fit on there. I went large for family get togethers when I need to cook a bunch more than normal like 2 shoulders and a brisket.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My medium gets the bulk of the work around here these days. It was a great addition. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    My family got me a M for Christmas in 2013, it was my first egg.  To be honest, I had never heard of them before, that's how much I knew about grilling.  For most of my grilling, it works really well.  But after a couple of years and wanting the capacity to cook for more than 3 or 4, I purchased an XL.  Now I can easily do low and slow for large briskets or multiple butts and many other larger cooks.  However, my M is still my go to cooker for just my wife and I or one or two more.  I don't see getting rid of it, it's just too handy to let go.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have a large and a small, so I kinda have a medium... =)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A medium / MiniMax owner here. Just my wife and I for the norm....but have not had an issue yet cooking for 10-15. Might require some advanced planning and some multi cooker jostling.....happy man here. Now if anyone was giving a large / Extra large to me.....I would take it. ;)  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    My wife gave me a Medium several years ago, and I LOVED it, and just as the other Medium owners above have said, it's the one I use the most, and is just perfect most of the time.  I love it.  But once in a while, especially when having family over, it just was a little limited, so she gave me a Large a year or so later, and the combination is just perfect for me.  I use the Large sometimes, the Medium most of the time, and once in a while I have both of them together!  I cooked a whole ribeye "prime rib" roast that was too big for the Large by cutting it in unequal halves and cooking in both Eggs.

I love my Medium, and use it much more often than the Large.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    And here I was thinking about a large to go with my medium because more accessories fit it and it is the standard egg at Fests?
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    My first Egg was an XL because SWMBO agreed and I figured it would be easier to get a smaller one later. Later came and I got the Medium which is what gets used the most. It was less painful to ask forgiveness for a lesser amount spent. =) However the XL still does yeoman's duty when the family gets together or when I do pork butt cooks for special occasions for friends and neighbors. SWMBO is gone now and the Eggs are still here
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    My family gave me a Medium in December.  We are empty nesters now, so it is fine for just us.  Wouldn't cut it for us 10 years ago; my 2 kids were teenagers then, and my son could eat a whole side of ribs himself; probably for a snack :o

Agree with Gulfcoast: fewer accessories available are saving me money.  I can't do a side of ribs without cutting in half; they do fit OK side-by-side.  Even a brisket point is a tight squeeze, and forget about beer can chicken.  I built a second tier using a 13" Weber grill. Set 4" above the Egg grill the 2nd floor holds some, but not a whole lot: the lid is curving in pretty quickly there.  Does help to smoke a mess of fish or chicken drummies.

Bottom line: I love my family for getting me an Egg at all; I would never have bought one and it is great.  All told, I would prefer a Large.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I started with a used medium and quickly became hooked on the egg. It wasn't long before I decided I needed a large so I could get some additional accessories and have more grid space. Wish I had kept the medium instead of selling it.......
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    Options

I've had my medium for about 8 or 9 years.  It has the 15.75 diameter grate.  I just bought a Woo for it from the ceramic grill store and I've been itching to cook something on it. 

I recently bought a large, but the medium is normally big enough to do the job.  I've cooked briskets, ribs, turkeys, lasagna, etc on it.  It just takes some creativity for the bigger stuff.

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• flyerdoc
    Options
    I realize the Large has a greater number of accessories, but, honestly, I have quite a few with the Medium and I think that's enough for new lol! Yes, there are definitely times when a Large would come in handy, and if I had a larger family I would definitely consider it, but for me, right now, Medium is just right.

But never say never... :)
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Need anton to chime in on cooking on a M.  I seem to remember him managing to get a whole brisket on a M somehow.  He's posted some very interesting cooks in the past but haven't seen any posts recently.  He and northGAcock get more out of a M than many do with a L.  Quite innovative. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    A medium / MiniMax owner here. Just my wife and I for the norm....but have not had an issue yet cooking for 10-15. Might require some advanced planning and some multi cooker jostling.....happy man here. Now if anyone was giving a large / Extra large to me.....I would take it. ;)  
    I have the same combo. Fun running both at same time. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Medium owner for 12+ years :)
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like my medium. Won't fit full packers though or thanksgiving turkeys. So I got a large 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• yljkt
    Options
    I like my medium. Won't fit full packers though or thanksgiving turkeys. So I got a large 
    Cant help with the turkey but a large stainless steel bowl under the middle of the brisket gets the ends in and cooks fine. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I had the MBGE for over a year. Family of 4, sold it bought a LBGE & a MM...wanted more real estate to cook on. Plus a big brisket is easier on a LBGE. =)
  • yljkt
    Options
    Cant fathom selling one....they are like my kids. The family just grows. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Received my Medium 15 years ago as a surprise birthday gift. I say surprise since we already had a large and a small and with that combo I thought we were set for life! Believe it or not I only looked at that new medium egg for the next 8 months! Then one morning I woke up and it hit me! Keep it clean and use it as my baking egg! To this very day that medium has never had any meat in it! And that means no pizza! Also the amazing thing is the interior is just a light tan, not dark nor black and besides that...it still has both of the original felt gaskets! My medium baker egg is special to me and I love it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    The medium BGE was my first Kamado cooker.  It replaced a Weber bullet, then passed on to my youngest son.  A couple of years later, I added a KJ Classic for those times when I needed to do huge quantities of food for large family gatherings (e.g., ribs and wings for 50).  My Weber gas grill and the old standby kettle are called into service at those times as well.  I also like the gas grill for vegetables.  Most of the time the medium is plenty large for my wife and I or some friends.  It's versatility has improved since there is a now a half moon grill for it.  That was a key attraction of the KJ.  
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • cfuller3
    cfuller3 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am new 'user' with a large.  Then, before the newness wore off, went camping and figured a minimax would be needed so picked that up. Good combination I'm thinking.  Think the mm is just a shorter medium...... here's what it did for me tonight.
    Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    For the two of us a medium is all we need. It does a 12-13 pound turkey fine. I too cut the racks of ribs in half and lay flat, but if cooking more than one, I use a rib rack. I think I can get three racks on. For the two of us a small butt is enough. My brisket experience leads me to avoid them,

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @FarmerTom check some of @R2Egg2Q he's done brisket on a medium several times, you can put an item under the brisket to make it fit. 

Personally, I prefer my XL for brisket and rib cooks, but I use my medium for most cooks that are for my immediate family of 5, 3 being children under the age of 8.

The medium gets a bad rep.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I want a medium too. I love my MM and XL and would not trage them fo anything else. Greatest cooking tools I have ever owned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    cfuller3 said:
      Think the mm is just a shorter medium...... 
    Sorry, but the M/M is the same size as a Small, but with a shorter base.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    i am goldilocks. I'm stickin' with the Medium :)