Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chef JJ Indianapolis team building

Options
Hi everyone! Looking for some info from anyone that's done this. I am going to a meeting next week and one of the activities is a team building cooking competition at this restaurant. When I googled the restaurant it seems like they cook most everything on a BGE. So, lucky me since I've been doing the same for 20 years. I'm just looking for some scoop at this point for anyone that's done this before. What do you cook, prep time they give you, how it works, who judges, any tips, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I haven't attended one of their team building event so I cannot comment on that. However, I have been to Chef JJ's, seen his set up and love his business model. I demo'd at their 2015 Eggfest. I spent Thursday & Friday with JJ and his staff helping them prepare for the Eggfest. His team of culinary professionals are hard working, have great personalities and are ultimately focused on their customers experience. Chef JJ's sets itself apart from other Egg dealer by being a culinary institute first and an egg dealer second vs a hardware store just wanting to sell grills. I think doing a team building event there would be fun for the team and a great experience. I think you'll have a fantastic time at Chef JJ's. 
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options

I've not done a team building event either, but I have done one of their cooking classes. They have two locations, one in Broad Ripple and a second location downtown Indy right by Lucas Oil Stadium. I did my class at the downtown location. The building and the service was awesome. The class itself was just "OK" for me. There may have been reasons for that though. It was a pizza class and Chef JJ did not teach the class. A couple sitting next to me have been to several classes and said this was their least favorite one. They had done their other classes at the Broad Ripple location and like that one better.

Regardless, I do know that Chef JJ's has a great reputation around town, and I plan on giving it another try. Their more conventional BBQ'ing classes, such as their brisket class, fill up very quickly, and I've heard good things about those.

Indianapolis, IN
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I've not done Chef JJs but did participate in a gumbo cooking class team building event.  Big, tasty, outdoor fun and adult beverages = great team building. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    My take on the recent cooking competition at Chef JJ's. This was my first competition like this and a few lessons were learned. There were eight people in my group and there were a lot of different opinions on what to do. That was frustrating and created some chaos. The first thing we had to do was identify some spices. Everyone was testing the different samples by smelling them, but not tasting. When we were running through them I was told, we already have that one. That one being cayenne pepper that someone thought was paprika. That's just one example and there were a couple that threw me off, like cardamom, which I rarely use. Then we had to identify some fresh herbs. I still swear we had oregano and not thyme. That thyme looked nothing like what I purchase at the grocery store. We had to prepare a salad and I made a dressing with orange juice, mustard, balsamic vinegar, evoo, s/p. Similar to my all time favorite but with apricot preserves instead of OJ. I thought we killed it. Then the flatbread competition. I didn't knead or roll ours and it was too thick with too much cornmeal. Every other team went with pizza so I made the decision to go Mediterranean, evoo, onions, tomatoes, capers, sour cream, tender baby lettuce. I think we came in last amongst the six groups on the salad and flatbread competition. Now, two proteins, flatiron steak and chicken breasts. The chefs helping us wouldn't let the egg go above 400 even for the steaks. I was told rather firmly that you don't go above that if you are using cast iron grates. I told the chef I have two eggs at home, both with cast iron grates and I always sear at 600 plus. He just shook his head like I'd lost my mind. Already had a team member that took over the steaks anyway. He deiced to marinate it with Worcestershire when I always just use a dry rub, so I only made a suggestion that he take the steaks off and at least get it up to the 400 mark. That led to a rather intense discussion regarding using the pan he marinaded them in. He snapped with "I'm an Animal Science Major from Texas A&M and you can't do that". To which I replied "I was a pre-med Biology major and there is nothing wrong with that. Have you never heard of steak tartare?" Just too many cooks in the kitchen. One of the members of a different team got reprimanded by a chef for burping the egg when he opened it. Chef yells, "you don't ever do that". Ok, news to me. Sorry for the long story, but it was stressful to say the least. Thank goodness they kept the wine and beer coming. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Wow, sounds like y'all need some team building after the team building. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Wow! That doesn't sound like much fun. Are you sure the goal wasn't just to see if your team could stay together when confronted with as many obstacles as possible? Sort of like Hell's Kitchen?
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Wow, that sounds intense. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    One of the people in my group kept insisting we put cheese on the flatbread that had evoo, onions, tomatoes, capers, sour cream, s/p, and baby lettuces on it. I declined since I was going for Mediterranean to be different and all other groups were doing pizza. I asked the chef why we didn't place higher on that competition. He goes, "you probably should have put cheese on it." Seriously? The restaurant made desert, which was different and not very good. Might explain some of the judging if they though that was good. It was a really dry biscuit with a dollop of marshmallow fluff and some chopped up fruit like apples and mangoe on top.  I'm no Master Chef, but I was surprised at the 400 max temp and one of the  other teams getting fussed at for burping their Egg. 

Ronald Reagan

• acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    Sounds somewhat familiar. There were a few weird philosophies thrown around when I took my class there as well. I asked about getting the egg hotter for cooking pizza, even 500-600 range. They said "you can damage the ceramics going that hot". The couple sitting next to me shook their heads after the chef left. As we were talking, I found out that the husband is a engineer who deals with thermodynamics. He said it was complete BS. There were a few others things that seemed off as well, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I took notes, I'll have to check when I get home from work.

The main thing I remember is that they seemed to present a lot of methods/techniques as "facts" when, from my reading/experience, these "facts" appear to be heavily debated amongst the BBQ community.
    Indianapolis, IN