Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT? Do you brine corn?

Options
Recommendation from thekitchn.com to brine corn for 30-60 minutes. I haven't heard of doing this; have you done it? Is it worth it? http://www.thekitchn.com/the-most-important-tip-for-great-grilled-corn-233313

L BGE, XL appetite
Cape Coral, FL

Comments

• ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    Options
    I've never heard of brining corn, but it seems like an interesting concept.  Normally I soak mine for a couple of hours in the husk and then throw it on the grill......husk and all. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Being a Hoosier,  I know sweet corn. I don't see the benefit to using a brine. I usually grill in the shuck and if it's fresh from the field I don't soak it. Otherwise I soak it for 30 minutes or so. If I'm grilling shucked corn, I like it fast and hot. Just enough to get some char, but I prefer it in the husk
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I cant see this doing much to the corn really, seeing as the hulls of the corn aren't digestible, as you can see a few hours after eating it. I cant imagine the brine penetrating that kernel. I could be wrong.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Never heard of brining corn. Good fresh corn doesn't need anything for me to enjoy it. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,614
    Options
    The article actually says its to get flavor in between the kernels in the nooks and crannies...and goes on to say don't brine for more than 30-60 min or you'll dry out the corn and make it tough.  Oh, and you have to peel back the husk before you brine.

compund butter after you cook the corn with whatever you want to add would be more effective - and easier.  It's not hard to get flavor on corn which is really what they admit they are doing.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NO... Pull husks, apply oil or butter and place on grid. Don't over think it
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Damn, that's a lot of work Mickey. I just chop the silk end and put it on the grill.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    Legume said:
    Mickey said:
    Damn, that's a lot of work Mickey. I just chop the silk end and put it on the grill.
    even thats alot of work, i just put it on the grill silk and all =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Slackers: @Legume & @fishlessman
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I just cut off the ends, leave the husks on, soak in water for about 30 minutes, then put on the egg;  I guess it sort of steams it inside the husk, but it always comes out tender, juicy, and goooood!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Slackers: @Legume & @fishlessman
    with some things, doing less is more bettah =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Options
    Mickey, you should try dusting with corn starch, it really crisps it up.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    All I do is run the husk under water for a few minutes, then wrap in foil and grill (the water in the husk steams the corn)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Legume said:
    Mickey, you should try dusting with corn starch, it really crisps it up.
    He could also try napping. I hear that will help the crisping process 
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Legume said:
    Mickey said:
    even thats alot of work, i just put it on the grill silk and all =)

That's too much work.  I just eat that **** raw, husk, silk and all. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never eaten grilled corn. What I've seen almost always looks burned to me. Burnt tomatoes or carrots are delicious, but burned corn just looks, well, burned. I always shuck it, boil water, turn off the heat and put the ears in for 10-12 minutes. Keep meaning to try the microwave trick, but haven't yet.

As for brining, I never brine anything.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I use mayo on the corn to hold the seasoning. I use S&P with a dash of cayenne pepper and wrap in foil. The mayo is an awesome trick a buddy showed me a while back. 
  • Legume
    Options
    I have never eaten grilled corn. What I've seen almost always looks burned to me. Burnt tomatoes or carrots are delicious, but burned corn just looks, well, burned. I always shuck it, boil water, turn off the heat and put the ears in for 10-12 minutes. Keep meaning to try the microwave trick, but haven't yet.

Try dropping a just a few ears into hard boiling water and leaving in (keep boiling) for 3 min, no more.  That's my favorite way to cook corn, stays really sweet.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I brine mine in a pot of boiling water til it turns a bright and vibrant color. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    No salt, just H2O here for 30 min or so before grilling.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    DMW said:
    Fail prevented! Thanks for saving my arse (or at least my ears)!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    Legume said:

compund butter after you cook the corn with whatever you want to add would be more effective - and easier.  It's not hard to get flavor on corn which is really what they admit they are doing.
    Compound butter makes everything better. Even non-compound butter :)
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options

Elote is a beautiful thing, definitely give it a shot.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I brine mine in a pot of boiling water til it turns a bright and vibrant color. 
    Same here. Plump and juicy kernels.  Let the good sweet corn shine.  Butter, salt, cracked white pepper.

Not a fan of burnt and shriveled grilled corn.  Husk, no husk, whatev.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Phatchris said:

Elote is a beautiful thing, definitely give it a shot.
    You know, I had forgotten! Someone once posted on here (actually the old forum I think) about their trip to Café Habaña in NYC some years ago. I still haven't done this, but... WOW! Best intentions, ya know?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Found the original Greeneggers post... Corn as well as a Cuban sammich. Check it out!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1260730&catid=1

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mikeinccfl
    Options
    @Carolina Q said:

Found the original Greeneggers post... Corn as well as a Cuban sammich. Check it out!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1260730&catid=1
    That's going on the to-do list!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I take my corn and soak in hot dihydrogen oxide, then apply a molten mixture of triglycerides, fatty acids and triester followed by some crystalized sodium chloride.
    Options
    This is how Hoosier do corn. Straight from the field 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!