Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Nature Boy and others. . .

Hog Euker
Hog Euker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The steaks turned out great. Upon reading the tread below, I need to find some of this char-broil stuff I guess. Where can I get it? Also, I am cooking some steaks again for New Years Day for some buddy's. The strips are about 3/4 inch thick. Do I still cook between 600 & 700 degrees? If so, then how long? Thanks in advance. You guys are great.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Hog Euker, Oh Oh, I think I see Earl gettin the boots on and warming up the "Ram" for a Char Crust run![p]ROger!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Hog Euker,[p]Char Crust is what you need. You should be able to find it at at supermarkets that consider themselves "gourmet" establishments. Or at www.charcrust.com although that won't help you in time for New Years.[p]I discovered this stuff first a couple of years ago and told the forum about it. I then contacted the company and told them who they could thank for the big increase in orders. They did, and sent me virtually a lifetime supply.[p]1.5 inch thick steaks are optimum for Egging. For 3/4 inchers, 700* is good and try 2.5 minutes a side and NO dwell time for rare as a guideline.[p]Good luck,[p]K~G[p]K~G

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Mop,
    Nope, I stocked up on the Char, so okay for awhile. let me know when you get short & we can make a run to get some.
    I'm off for 4 days, so I want to pick up so quails again & egg them tomorrow night. Last time we cooked them they turned out great. Wanted to post pics but I screwed up & deleted the pics again. Solved that problem, sold the camera
    & got a fuji 4700. Works like a charm using a card reader.
    Tonight , just plain old steaks on the mini, not a challenge
    anymore, LOL.[p]Earl

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    KennyG,[p]You should have bought stock before you told us about Char Crust. I am in San Jose California and still have not been able to locate the stuff. I order it, But if anyone knows of a store that stocks it in my area please let me know.[p]Dec
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KennyG,
    Wow. Great story about Char crust. We should get Fireball in touch with "Hellmans" for introducing us to Citrus Splash. Maybe they'd send him a vat of it![p]Have fun with the lobsters, and a great new year celebration.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ