Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need NSF Certified Buckets?

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Saw this over on BBQ-Brethren and thought I'd give it a try. Went to the local WM Supercenter bakery and asked for any empty frosting buckets. Came away with a bunch, free. Will be used for brining poultry, pulling pork butts with a drill powered rig, etc. 

If you have a use for these give a large bakery a shot. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Good advice. I've picked up a few of those for fermenting small one and two gallon batches of beer. Got them at my local Tom Thumb.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Does it have to be NSF to brine poultry?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    It's your call, but personally I feel better knowing there's little chance that some nasty chemicals might leach into my food. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Here's what I use to brine larger birds and turkeys. I use a food save disposable plastic bag and put the bird in it and then pour in a gallon or two at most of the brine. Tightly seal the bag and place it in this food safe water cooler. Then fill the cooler with cold water and ice and before putting the top on I run a cable type probe inside the cooler so I can monitor the water temperature from outside to see if more ice is needed. I have a John Ash brine recipe that is best when the bird is brined for 4 days and this method is great for that use.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll append said acquisition to my bucket list.
    Options
    I'll append said acquisition to my bucket list.
    Your bucket list would include buckets. Not surprised :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle