Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Impromptu trip to NOLA got tickets today

Options
McStew
McStew Posts: 965
We are heading back to NOLA because we loved it so much on our last visit in January.   Any of you locals know of any events going on Aug 4-7th?  Honestly this whole trip is based around Snowballs because we couldn't get any on our last visit.  
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I really enjoy Drago's chargrilled oysters. Their great if you get the chance to eat there. ( I'm not a local....)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @nolaegghead and @nolabrew Alertment...and I apologize for the others that reside in the NO area that I have not tagged here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    August in New Orleans? Good luck! Hope you like stifling heat and humidity. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bring plenty of towels. It's hotter than hell here.

I'll take a look at what's going on.  There are a few good old threads on this forum about food and stuff. 

nomenu.com is a good food review site.
    Options
    @DoubleEgger hahah yah we know 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @McStew - what did you do last time you were here (in NOLA)? Obviously you did not get a snowball, which you will want to do every day on August...
    New Orleans LA
  • bg_easy
    bg_easy Posts: 41
    Options

Your list from last time has several suggestions I would have made. Especially Johnny's and Jacques Imo's.  Either you did some research or had a really good guide.  If you want to one up your poboy experience from Johnny's, I'd suggest Parkway Tavern (www.parkwaypoorboys.com) if you have a car.  All the Brennan's restaurants are a good bet (Palace Café, Mr. B's, Dickie Brennan's, etc.) and Dragos, Deannies and Acme all good for the fried stuff (in order for me).  For personal preference, and because I'm born and raised, I look for the most questionable of exteriors with a line out the door and people that aren't dressed with sandals and fanny packs.  You have found a local spot with a following.  Usually best food and best prices. 

Earlier comments on the weather are spot on.  Hydrate and enjoy!

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

• bg_easy
    bg_easy Posts: 41
    Options
    Forgot one thing... if you want the true snowball experience, you have to go to Hansen's Snow Bliz (www.snobliz.com).  See earlier comment about line.  Worth the wait.

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Have fun brother.  My only advice is don't go to the zoo this time of year!  Great in the cool months however.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • McStew
    Options
    @bg_easy yah we had a blast on the our last visit.  My wife and I like to consider ourselves travelers so we do lots of research and tend to find the best of places the first time around.  This forum also contributes to it.   Hansen's is on the list we went last trip but I guess snowballs are seasonal so they were closed.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I never even knew snoballs were a New Orleans thing. Learn something new everyday. I've been to NOLA hundreds if not a thousand times growing up just 90 miles away.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    All of August is coolinary, which is a special menu that's available at a bunch of restaurants.  http://www.coolinaryneworleans.com/coolinary-restaurants/

Friday is the National Underwear Day parade https://www.facebook.com/events/1152523641429549/

Saturday is white linen knight where you dress up like a klansmen and look at art I think... http://cacno.org/wwln2016

Anyways, you picked a pretty good weekend.  Enjoy those snowballs.  Go to Hansen's snow blitz for sure.  Maybe we can meet up for some beers at nola brewery.  Holler.

• Dondgc
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It isn't food, but the D-Day Museum (if you haven't been) is outstanding and suitably climate controlled.  You can spend hours protected from both heat and rain. 

For breakfast, you might try Elizabeth's, Ruby Slipper (multiple locations) or Another Broken Egg in the Lakeview area. 

In my opinion, skip the BBQ restaurants - if you are on this forum, you will cook better at home.

For casual dinner, we enjoy Ancora on Freret Street (pizza).  Great bruschetta and the enzo diavalo pizza is delicious.

If money is no object, Doris Metropolitan is highly recommended.  But finding an entree below $40 will be a challenge.

For dessert and great cappucino, don't miss Brocato's on Carrolton Avenue.  It is one of those line-out-the-door local places.
    New Orleans LA
  • McStew
    Options
    @nolabrew thanks man great bunch of suggestions you listed PM sent 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I saw this today....some new joints that aren't on all the old joint lists.

http://nola.eater.com/maps/best-new-new-orleans-restaurants-heatmap

Options
    I saw this today....some new joints that aren't on all the old joint lists.

http://nola.eater.com/maps/best-new-new-orleans-restaurants-heatmap

Of those...

Revel is good.  It was opened by Chris McMillan who is pretty well known around here for his bartending chops.  Definitely a good drink program - both classics and new creations.

Blue Oak BBQ may be the best BBQ in the city right now (not that that's saying much).  It's pretty good, even by this board's standards.  Also a good beer selection.

Josephine Estelle is in the Ace Hotel and it's pretty good.  However, I understand their pool bar (on the roof of the hotel) is definitely worth checking out.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @buzd504 @nolabrew

SWMBO and I went to the Urban South brewery for a food truck thang and the beer line was about 75 yards long.  So we said Fk it and went down the street to NOLA.   Got their bbq and a couple of beers.  I was surprisingly impressed.

http://www.mccluresbarbecue.com/

It was just about perfect.  And I have pretty high standards for Q, which is why I just eat mine and don't go out for it in nola.   Apparently, SWMBO knows McClure from back in the days she lived at the "Complex" in the early 90s - most of that block which was in the Tchoupitoulas, First St, Soraparu and Rousseau block.   He played volleyball with that group.   FYI - Grandville Semmes was the ruler of that compound - one of the "1-800-flowers" guys.  They had the best parties - Kermit Ruffins and the Rebirth, etc.  Good times.

Options
    I knew someone that lived in that compound, but now I don't remember who it was.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @buzd504 - Eman Loubier?
    Options
    @buzd504 - Eman Loubier?
    Nope not him.  I actually don't know Eman.
    NOLA
  • nolabrew
    Options
    Dondgc said:

For dessert and great cappucino, don't miss Brocato's on Carrolton Avenue.  It is one of those line-out-the-door local places.
    I went there tonight and there was a cop at the front door only letting people in as others left. On a Tuesday.
  • nolabrew
    Options
    @buzd504 @nolabrew

SWMBO and I went to the Urban South brewery for a food truck thang and the beer line was about 75 yards long.  So we said Fk it and went down the street to NOLA.   Got their bbq and a couple of beers.  I was surprisingly impressed.

http://www.mccluresbarbecue.com/

It was just about perfect.  And I have pretty high standards for Q, which is why I just eat mine and don't go out for it in nola.   Apparently, SWMBO knows McClure from back in the days she lived at the "Complex" in the early 90s - most of that block which was in the Tchoupitoulas, First St, Soraparu and Rousseau block.   He played volleyball with that group.   FYI - Grandville Semmes was the ruler of that compound - one of the "1-800-flowers" guys.  They had the best parties - Kermit Ruffins and the Rebirth, etc.  Good times.

I know McClure pretty well, he's definitely a great chef.  He makes a house ground, smoked Bologna that will fry your brain it's so good. I tried to get him to come to brisket camp last year but it was his birthday or some ****. 
  • McStew
    Options
    Is Casamentos worth visiting? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    McStew said:
    Is Casamentos worth visiting? 
    Yes, but more for the experience than the food. 

Don't get me wrong, the oysters are great.  But they do their sandwiches on texas toast, which I don't really care for.  But it definitely has the old school feel - the whole restaurant is tile.  They also pan fry (as opposed to deep fry) everything, which is also a nice touch.

Note that it's not open in the summer (when traditionally people didn't used to eat oysters).  I think it opens after labor day.  (r months)
    NOLA
  • McStew
    Options
    Thanks @buzd504 I have noticed a lot a places are seasonal is this common in this area?

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Dondgc
    Options
    @McStew- some foods may be seasonal (crawfish, soft shell crabs...) but most restaurants are 365.  Snoball stands are a notable exception - definitely seasonal.
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you're into old world charcuterie, R'evolution is amazing.  John Folse literally wrote the encyclopedia on Cajun and Creole cooking.  You'll blow a wad eating there, the menu is a candy store and nothing is cheap.

http://www.revolutionnola.com/index.html

Options
    @Dondgc got it thanks 
    @nolaegghead already had them on the list you just sealed the deal 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Dondgc
    Options
    @McStew- in the interest of forum research :) I checked out @nolaegghead's suggestion of McClures.  I knew if he recommended it the BBQ would be good, and it was.  Close to downtown if you have a car, and no line at lunch (unlike Blue Oak, which has fair food and ridiculous lines).
    New Orleans LA