Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookn Biker's Bulgogi

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I made bulgogi tonight for the first time, and loved the recipe!  It's from Cookn Biker, one of the great cooks from the early days of the EggHead Forum:
Korean BBQ (Bulgogi or Khalbi) 

1 1/2 pounds of meat (pork, flank, or 4 lbs. short ribs) Slice meat against the grain into 1/4 in. thickness. 
1T sesame seeeds, toasted and pulverized 
3 cloves garlic minced 
1/4c light soy sauce 
1t sugar 
1T honey 
1T asian sesame oiil 
1t red chili flakes 
1t grated fresh ginger 
2 stalks of green onions, thinly chopped
I was going to use flank steak, but they didn't have any, but they had some skirt steak, so I tried it.  I didn't have a lot of time to marinate it, so I cut it into pretty thin strips across the grain.  It was just delicious, but pretty chewy.  Maybe marinating it overnight would have helped, but maybe skirt steak is just going to be tough, I don't know.  Anyway, wonderful, really tasty recipe!

Here it is marinating:

Going on the grill:

Flipped to cook the other side:

And on the platter:

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks delicious! Great app for when you're trying to get to the bottom of a bottle of bourbon :smiley:

Have you tried adding pureed asian pears to the marinade? Many (most?) bulgogi recipes call for it, and its a great touch. Adds some sweetness, and tenderizes the meat as well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    She is the real deal. Watching her cook and explain things is a class of it's own. I've learned more about cheese than I have ever known in a weekend hanging out with her. I don't think she posts that often and has opened up a restaurant with her significant other. Only the best comes from her recipes. Her scratch lasagne is off the charts. I've never had anything like it. Our typical U.S lasagne taste like something we would order from McDonald's. Worth a try and read if looking for another recipe from her.

You cook looks awesome! Sure beats my Weber Jumbo Joe cooked brats I cooked up for the softball team tonight. You have me hungry!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    That looks delicious! Great app for when you're trying to get to the bottom of a bottle of bourbon :smiley:

Have you tried adding pureed asian pears to the marinade? Many (most?) bulgogi recipes call for it, and its a great touch. Adds some sweetness, and tenderizes the meat as well. 
    Found several related references to fruit, but it might help if using skirt steak.

"Side note: Many bulgogi recipes call for shredded apples or Korean apple-pears.  Because the meat is sliced very thinly, I’ve found the addition of fruit to sweeten and tenderize un-necessary"
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    love this stuff, ive been using shaved beef and cooking it in the wok. good for stirfrys and even steak and cheese subs. make enough for a few days cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Theophan
    Options
    caliking said:

Not sure why, but I drink bourbon in the winter, just about never in the summer, and drink rum and G&Ts in the summer, not in the winter.  So I had a couple of gin and tonics, and they went pretty well together.  :)

This was my first bulgogi, and I didn't want to mess with Cookn Biker's recipe because she's a heck of a cook.  But in that same thread I linked to above (from 2010, with a post in it from Car Wash Mike), there was some discussion about Asian Pears, and Korean Pears, which someone insisted are totally different.  I don't believe I've ever seen a Korean Pear.  Maybe they have them on the West Coast, or NYC, but not where I live.  I do see Asian Pears, though.  Might try it sometime.  Thanks!

WeberWho said:
    She is the real deal. Watching her cook and explain things is a class of it's own...
    I've never met her, but everybody on the <cough> original forum seems to love her, and her cooking.

THANKS to everybody for the kind comments!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @cookn biker was one of the first posters I followed religiously when I got my Egg. Outstanding cook, her and Enrico!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That looks great. I've never heard of this before. 
    I may give this a try this weekend. I will probably use my blade tenderizer to help with tenderness. I think I would also marinate it over night.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Found several related references to fruit, but it might help if using skirt steak.

"Side note: Many bulgogi recipes call for shredded apples or Korean apple-pears.  Because the meat is sliced very thinly, I’ve found the addition of fruit to sweeten and tenderize un-necessary"
    That's good info. And will save me a trip to H-Mart to just get the pears!

@Theophan - G&T's are a summer staple in my casa as well. With a squeeze of lime and a dash of salt. Haven't got malaria yet, so they must be working :)

Not sure if Asian Pears are different (or the same as) Korean pears. The ones I have used in the past were from a Korean market, so maybe they were the Korean pears after all. They are great to eat - crispy like an apple, with a nice flavor. Where do you live? We have 99 Ranch and H-mart around here, which are Korean supermarket chains, and they carry all kinds Asian goodies, including fruits and veg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    @cookn biker was one of the first posters I followed religiously when I got my Egg. Outstanding cook, her and Enrico!
    I love reading her posts!  Many of them are too involved for me, though.  Fun to read, but I'm just too lazy to make something that complicated.  They sure look wonderful, though!

caliking said:
    Not sure if Asian Pears are different (or the same as) Korean pears. The ones I have used in the past were from a Korean market, so maybe they were the Korean pears after all. They are great to eat - crispy like an apple, with a nice flavor. Where do you live? We have 99 Ranch and H-mart around here, which are Korean supermarket chains, and they carry all kinds Asian goodies, including fruits and veg. 
    I live near Winston-Salem in North Carolina, and I've never heard of those chains.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I can still remember a cook she posted on the other site.  It was an emaculate, huge seafood cook.  Everything packed on the Egg and was beautiful.  Desktop background worthy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I love this stuff. There's a great Korean BBQ restaurant near me that has huge heated cast iron rice pot lids on your table so you can cook it yourself. I think I can eat my body weight. Thanks for the recipe - bookmarked. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA