Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak bags coming unglued

anyone else have their R.O. Bags coming unglued on the vertical side seam?   ---- makes a mess when shaking lump into the fire bowl !
LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
Jacksonville, FL

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Nope, never had it happen. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    No. And I have long been an advocate of vigorously shaking any brand of lump before purchasing to blindly understand the condition of the lump inside. Seeing you are in FL then I wonder if your bag got wet...Honesty I have never ever seen this issue raised.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think they were sabotaged by the Rockwood guy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I've used a lot of RO and never had that happen. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    RRP said:
    No. And I have long been an advocate of vigorously shaking any brand of lump before purchasing to blindly understand the condition of the lump inside. Seeing you are in FL then I wonder if your bag got wet...Honesty I have never ever seen this issue raised.
    Hasn't rained in 3 weeks.  No rain. ( until after dinner tonight )  95-100 degrees every day.  
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Never seen this. Didn't even know there was glue. I have some bags that have been in my attic for several years and no issues and I am in GA my front attic is well over 120 degrees in the summer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Lit said:
    Never seen this. Didn't even know there was glue. I have some bags that have been in my attic for several years and no issues and I am in GA my front attic is well over 120 degrees in the summer.
    You should put a fan in your attic.
    I had a bottom come unglued after it got wet on either Kroger brand or RO. The charcoal fell out in the yard before I got to the egg. It could have gotten wet and then dried. This one came apart after it left the shed and before it got to the cooker.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    You should put a fan in your attic.
    I have one in the main attic but this is just a small on eabove the garage.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    BBQbutler said:
    anyone else have their R.O. Bags coming unglued on the vertical side seam?   ---- makes a mess when shaking lump into the fire bowl !
    Yes. Which is why I cut the bag and dump it into a plastic, water tight tote. However the dust, mess, and general untidyness don't really bother me.  =)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Storing lump in a hot attic keeps it nice and ignitable.
    I keep about a dozen bags in a small open barn. Some of the bags have been out there for a year. No direct rain but plenty of heat and humidity. No problems with the bags so far.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    i picked up another full bag and a rubbermaid tote from Home Depot today.   Problem solved.   no more mess on the back porch!
    Jacksonville, FL