Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will I burn my house down?

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I have a large bge with the standard nest. My egg is set-up in a very nice area for cooking under my patio. I'm in the habit of rolling the egg about 7 feet out from under the patio to cook out in the open and then roll it back underneath when I'm finished. Moving the egg around in it's nest is very easy, actually no problem at all.
Problem is.....
I would one day like to build a table/cart for my egg (like eggnerds table) but if I do this I won't be able to roll the egg out from underneath my patio. I have about 5 1/2 feet of clearance from the top of the egg to the patio ceiling.[p]Question is:[p]Do you guys always cook out in the open with no overhang or is it OK to cook under a patio? [p] How much clearance do I need overhead before I smoke,burn or set the patio ceiling on fire.

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Why can't you put wheels on your cart/table? They sell'em at Home Depot...just checked yesterday.[p]As for cooking under patio, I would think it much safer in the open due to co2.
  • Walter
    Walter Posts: 67
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I used to have my EGG under a patio cover (both with fiberglass panels and full plywood/shingles) and had about 5'-6' of clearance from the EGG to the cover. The cover was 24' wide and 12' long extending from the house. I didn't have any problems with heat/fire/etc. and although it could get a little smokey from time to time... since the cover was open on 3 sides (basically just a patio roof attached to one wall) I didn't have any issues with C02. The only reason it isn't under the cover now is because we moved from CA to OH and our new house doesn't have a patio cover --- yet :)

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Walter,
    email me if interested. I'm collecting emails for folks interesting in a possible Ohiofest. Get some names up and I'll have to contact some vendors for interest in hosting.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    i would never cook under the overhang:
    carbon monoxide
    smoke damage to the ceiling
    smoke smell on the insides under the overhang

it ain't worth it.
    :(
  • Unknown
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    z

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Tiger Tony, whenever it's raining I roll my large egg and table to a 7.5 foot overhang in a screen porch. I've done tons of cooking there w/no prob. Although I would not do a high temp sear there with my large, I have done steaks there several times with a small that sits in a nest.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Tiger Tony, I had my eggs near a 12 foot covered porch, but outside. I never really worried about fire, but I got tired of worrying how much I was smoking up the stained wood on the patio with each cook. So I moved the eggs. [p]I have two eggs in a table with heavy duty caster wheels. I hate to think about moving that set-up each time I wanted to cook. Try to build something quasi-permanent but mobile. That way, if you get a wild hair and want to change locations, you can.

Good luck, Tom

• Tony
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Good idea. I might just leave my egg in the nest and build a table/cabinet next to it. That way I can roll the egg from underneath and out in the open when I do high heat cooks.
    I wouldn't want to be moving a egg-table set up around.[p]Looks like I won't be building a table to set the egg in. Instead I'll build something to use along side of the nest.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Tiger Tony, I bought a tool cabinet at Sears for around $100. It works great for storing stuff, comes with wheels and provides a reasonable size work surface. I keep it in the garage and wheel it out when needed. You can check the whiz's site for a picture of my set-up and others. [p]I've moved my table three times in the backyard, looking for that perfect spot. So far, so good, on the current location. T

• Tony
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Just checked your pics out at Whiz's site. I sure like your two egg set-up, looks great!. The tool cabinet idea is a good one except for the fact that it looks to much like a tool cabinet :-). I need a really nice looking cabinet that even my wife will approve of. EggNerds table/cabinet is awesome looking, I think I'll wait for his building plans then build the cabinet without the egg holder.

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]I've been 'queing in my large BGE for over a month now under my patio roof with no problems (and in 110 degree heat to boot), and before that with my Weber gas grill. The Egg and the Weber are on the edge of a concrete patio, not next to any walls and the roof is about 5' higher than the top of the Egg. As long as no sparks come from your Egg and you don't notice your roof/ columns heating up (it shouldn't if you got more than a few feet of clearance), you should be fine. Also, why would a wooden roof be more prone to catch fire than a wooden table that a lot of people nest their eggs in?
    My 2 cents.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Tiger Tony, sounds like a plan. T

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    No worries for me either. Have had mine under the patio cover since December, before that 8 years with a large thick metal pit that Grandad built. Now all I do to protect the egg table is have the egg placed on tile with the feet on while it sits in the table. The edges of the egg come within 1 inch of bare wood and it doesn't even heat up. The tile is just for the occasional ember trying for freedom out of the bottom vent.

Thenewtable.jpg[p]

• Tony
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]I guess I'm worring too much, after all, I cooked for years with the Weber Grill under the patio with no problems. But with the Weber it was always a quick cook mostly just burgers and pork chops.[p]Since I graduated up to the egg I'm cooking almost everyday, different temps and longer cooks.[p]Nice table you got, but, I think I'd rather a cabinet type with a place to store stuff.[p]Bet that dog of yours eats some good leftovers :-)[p][p][p]

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Found an old discussion on that very topic, and includes some good pics.
    [ul][li]patio covers discussion[/ul]
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Tiger Tony:[p]Prior to the outdoor kitchen I just finished, for over 4 years I used a medium in a table that the top of the Egg was less than 4 feet from the roof of the screened porch (metal roof). The picture below doesn't show the ceiling, but does have the table that the medium used to set in so you should be able to get a good idea how close it was to the ceiling. I will say that the originally white metal panels are now a nice shade of brown immediately above where the Egg sat before. [p]P5130014.jpg[p]With the new kitchen I don't worry about that at all as the screen roof is at least 6 feet above the tops of the Eggs (see below).[p]P7010001.jpg[p]Basically I wouldn't be too concerned about it.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Yep she eats good. I like cabinets also. So I set mine up like this. Cheap, but effective.

eggpictures009.jpg[p]

• Tony
    Options
    SSN686,
    Your new outdoor kitchen is very very nice! Two full grown eggs and the baby hiding under the counter :)[p]You're not concerned, but, I see you have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.[p]I'm gonna build something, the ideas keep popping in and out of my head.[p]

• Tony
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    Thanks for the link![p]I be darn everytime I search the archives I come up empty.[p]I'm convinced now that I can get away with cooking on the egg under my patio without causing damage.

• Tony
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    I got one of those plastic storgage bins just like the one you have on the left. I bought it at Home-Cheapo, I use it to store my lump in , but the wife made me hide it behind the shed, she won't let me keep it next to the egg :-) [p]

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I guess that means you don't have a Harley either;)

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    eggtable1.jpg
    <p />Tiger Tony,[p]That's eggsactly what I do. I park the egg in its nest next to a work table/storage unit. I can then easily pull the egg out from under the covered area when I'm using wood for smoking or high temps.
  • Unknown
    Options
    eggtable2.jpg
    <p />An Egg Downunder,
    Here's a pic of my naked work table/storage unit - it also comes in handy if I run out of charcoal.[p]Sorry I've had to do two separate posts but I've just learned to post a pic - and putting two in the same message would probably lead to a nervous breakdown.

• Tony
    Options
    An Egg Dowunder,[p]Yep that's what I'm gonna do. Just like you said, park my egg in it's nest right next to the cabinet/table that I build.[p]Hey wait a second, is that the stand to your old gasser? Damn those gassers are good for something after all:)

I know what you mean about posting more then one pic in the same post. I couldn't make it happen, I can only do one at a time.

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]It's still a functioning gas barbeque. In Australia, it's called a flat-top four burner trolley barbeque. [p]And that flat top sure comes in handy now I've got an egg. I'm thinking of replacing one of the burners with a gas ring so I can use it to start the charcoal chimney. Who said old gassers are useless?
  • Unknown
    Options
    An Egg Dowunder,
    What is that you have under your temp gauge? Cork? Does it help give a better temp?