Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To BGE or Not To BGE - that is the question?

Options
2»

Comments

• SRQLI
    SRQLI Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow - what a great forum. THanks for all the helpful information, and the FOOD for thought!  I'm pretty darn close to saying "the heck with a gas line - build around the BGE."   2 more "simple" questions:   Do you have to have a glove on pretty much all the time while cooking?   And if you want to keep food warm, can that be done on the BGE, or is some kind of accessory needed?
    Thanks again.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My recommendation would be a Medium BGE (or a Large),
    and to light the lump charcoal, get a Looftlighter.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @SRQLI- a glove is mandatory when using a really hot fire (opening the lid can sometimes result in a flashback, and the grill area can be really hot) but that's not different than most other grills running at high temperatures. I would use a glove over any hot charcoal fire.

The only issue with using the egg as a warmer is that it conserves heat really well - so if you have been cooking at 275 and want to hold something warm at 170, it may not be easy to get down to the lower temperature in anything like a hurry. It is also not easy to hold the Egg at a temp below 225 (though others here have better success at that than me).
    New Orleans LA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have never worn a glove while using my egg.

Edit: i have used pot holders now that i think of it - to remove 9x13 pans off the egg when dinner was ready.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Edit: i have used pot holders now that i think of it - to remove 9x13 pans off the egg when dinner was ready.
    You have more heat resistance than me.  Searing steaks @650+ with flames coming through the grate is a miserable experience without a glove.
    New Orleans LA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    kl8ton said:

You have more heat resistance than me.  Searing steaks @650+ with flames coming through the grate is a miserable experience without a glove.
    Long handled Pig tail flipper for the win.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SRQLI said:
    Dondgc said:
    @SRQLI- you didn't ask for this opinion, so I hope it is not unwelcome - but if you enjoy cooking, by all means run gas to the house and get a gas stove for your kitchen. 

Would like to, but for some crazy city code reason, we can't.

Are you sure you can get gas for an outside grill but cannot get a gas stove inside?  Maybe your builder doesn't like to work with gas and is using the city as an excuse?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    A good pair of welders gloves & a long handled pigtail are nice to have.

It depends what you are trying to keep warm. The egg naturally has some areas that are hotter than others (the back is usually hotter). For small things (i.e. chicken thighs) that are nearly finished, I'll move them to a cooler spot while the other items finish. For large items (i.e. pork shoulder) you can wrap in 2 layers of foil and a few beach towels and hold it in a cooler for up to 4 hours. 

Finally, the people on this forum is a great resource and extremely helpful. If you have a question or problem - Ask. You'll likely get an answer within 5 minutes.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SRQLI said:
    ...   And if you want to keep food warm, can that be done on the BGE, or is some kind of accessory needed?...
    The ceramics of the egg stay hot for a long time.  If you cook on the egg, it will not cool down to a good holding temp for a long time.  You should plan on using something else to hold food.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SRQLI said:
    Wow - what a great forum. THanks for all the helpful information, and the FOOD for thought!  I'm pretty darn close to saying "the heck with a gas line - build around the BGE."   2 more "simple" questions:   Do you have to have a glove on pretty much all the time while cooking?   And if you want to keep food warm, can that be done on the BGE, or is some kind of accessory needed?
    Thanks again.
    I only use welders gloves when pulling the plate setter to go direct or to put it in to go indirect.  When you get over 400 on the Egg you want to burp it or lift the top slowly up a couple times before lift it all the way up.  I speak from experience on this, you will get a flashback.  Sometimes when the grill is real full I will use a glove to turn burgers, but most of the time no.

As for holding temps, the only thing I usually hold over are things like; ribs, brisket, pork butt and chicken.  I do this by FTC; wrap in foil, wrap in warm towels and place in warm cooler.  I have held briskets and pork butts for over 6 hours this way and they were still hot.  FTC is used a lot on this and other BBQ forums and in competition. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I am about 10-11 months into a XL and my second arrived for Christmas.  My Gas Grill has been used about a hand full of times since the XL arrived.  Sounds like a Large would do you fine.  Welcome and let us know when it the BGE arrives... ;)
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I  use a glove when a) removing daisy wheel at end of cook to replace with Ceramic top to tamp down the fire to save lump and b) when removing my woo/platesetter to go from indirect to direct during a cook,

Old pot holders or cheap(er) fire gloves will work just fine IMHO. Don't need gloves during most cooks. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Prior to getting my BGE, I cooked on a kettle and a gasser for many years. 

My kettle is now used as a landing pad for my BGE plate setter, and my gasser has seen no use. 

The BGE truly is that good. It has kicked my outdoor cooking game through the roof.

There is a learning curve to running a BGE, but it is easily mastered after a few cooks. This forum is a great resource for any questions you may have.

The choice between a gasser and a BGE is a no-brainer - BGE all the way. It cooks in ways a gasser can only dream of. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I will add that fully 50% of the value of buying an egg is found in this group of crazy individuals. You may already have noticed, but almost any question will be answered as accurately as possible given all circumstances. You may find help on matters not related to eggs and you will undoubtedly be offered help directly or indirectly weather or not you ask for it. I will promise you this. The people here on this forum have collectively forgotten more about eggs and cooking on them than any ten dealers anywhere in the country. They simply cannot keep up with the pace at which eggs are explored by these folks. I can also vouch for the fact that any food group of almost any type has been tested and there is temperature or time or guidance available upon request--essentially like instant chat. Now with all that and the above recommendations and questions asked it might still not be the best choice for you in this situation. But it's sure hard to not want to join the fun.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm just gonna say it. If you are investing in an outdoor kitchen would both be options?  Yes you mentioned the cost of putting in gas but that could also be seen as an investment in resale value (because you will either be willing your egg to your offspring or buried with it like me
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    There was more to that but apparently the smiley screwed it up. Anyway. Get an egg. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When at full heat, an Egg will be putting out a jet of blue flame that is about 2200F. A welders glove is a good idea then. And moving fast.

As above, folks commonly do FTC, Foil, Towel, Cooler, to hold cooked food. A big pork butt can stay steaming hot for 5 - 6 hours that way. If an Egg is even at a low temperature, 250F dome temperature, and is shut down completely, the food will continue to cook for 90 minutes or more from the residual heat coming out of the ceramic.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and indeed a good question.  I have a large Egg, Weber kettle, and Weber gas grill.  For overall versatility you cannot beat the Egg.  It can do almost anything, and does it well.  No comparison to what comes off a gas grill period.  I still use my gas grill, but only in hurry up cooking.  However, I still have a huge soft spot for my Weber kettle.  When it comes to grilling hot and fast I actually prefer it over the Egg.  Primarily because it is super easy to move the coals about to setup direct/indirect zones.  At the end of the day though the Egg is my go too cooker by far.  I'd say 75% of cooks on Egg, 20 on kettle, and 5 on the gas.  As far as the learning curve that's part of the fun in my opinion.  All the best on whatever you choose:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like, based on what you mostly cook, need a gas grill. 
    Options
    Why an outdoor kitchen? The microwave is quicker and easier. There are even complete meals that can be heated in the microwave.
    If food quality is a concern, then there is a learning curve even using a gas stove indoors.
    A bag of charcoal may weight 8.8 pounds so it is not a problem to pick up. Even an 18 pound bag is not heavy for this old man with a decade on you. A twenty pound propane cylinder costs less than twenty to exchange at your local hardware or builders supply store and most corner gas stations. So neither of these should be the deciding factor.
    If it doesn't cook on the stove it cooks on the egg at my house.
    Only you can evaluated the value of charcoal cooked food verses other methods.
    Cooking on the coast
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Gassers are great. Or electric. Throw on a pigtail for electric, or an extension pipe for gas, put the stove on a 4 wheel dolly and get it outside. Now your "Grilling". Hmmm.....no your just outdoors. Just sayin.....