Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Ransomware......Make sure you are backing up your data.....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
As I was headed up for bed last night, I caught reference to a news article https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6dLCnKL4A ....they were speaking of going after those who infect peoples commuters. Well d@mn if I didn't get one today on my work computer. I am unable to open all of my existing files....it made for a sucky day of work. Help desk was able to remove it, but my files are not accessible. Tomorrow I will get a thumb drive and a full re image of my laptop. What a PITA this is.......

The purpose of this post is to make folks aware that this is hitting computer users hard. Once they infect your computer, there is no way of getting your files back without paying their ransom. The solution is to take your computer back to its original state when you purchased / or was issued to you. It is VERY IMPORTANT to have a back up of your data. Fortunately for me, my company does so frequently, and there will be little if any data files lost. If you don't have a solution and you value your data.....get a external drive or service asap. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I had a manager at my store lose everything on his desktop to that crap... Luckily he only had emails and stuff, nothing of major importance. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PEEPLEZ!  DON'T CLICKY THING ON PR0N AT WORK!!!
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I haven't backed up my Time Machine since March! Me bad, but the backup is in progress now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks for the reminder! I haven't backed up my Time Machine since March! Me bad, but the backup is in progress now!
    Ron, you likely know this but you can set your Time Machine/Capsule to back up automatically if I'm not mistaken.  Not an expert.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    Ron, you likely know this but you can set your Time Machine/Capsule to back up automatically if I'm not mistaken.  Not an expert.
    Thanks - and yes I knew that, but here's my rationale as silly as it sounds - I try to back it up on My Passport Ultra and then unplug it and put it in a secured fire proof chest. I'm more concerned in the ability to recover in the event of a fire or from a tornado than just losing some most recent updated files.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    Thanks - and yes I knew that, but here's my rationale as silly as it sounds - I try to back it up on My Passport Ultra and then unplug it and put it in a secured fire proof chest. I'm more concerned in the ability to recover in the event of a fire or from a tornado than just losing some most recent updated files.
    Cloud storage is the way to go....best of both worlds....especially since money is really not an issue with you. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    Good strategy. Good ransomware will encrypt the contents of your local drive as well as external drives that are mounted (like Time Machine). Keep an offline copy of your important stuff.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ransomware is a pita! Working in IT I've seen my fair share. Unfortunately, SOMETIMES the only option is to pay to get your files back. It depends on the importance of these files. Back that stuff up religiously and make sure your endpoint protection is utd
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!