Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood pellets

Options
Please forgive me. I've been using my Traeger for a long time and ignoring my large egg. I fixed some burgers on the egg last night and started reading a bunch of post on here so now I think it's time for my Traeger to rest and get back to egging. My question is, I read where people mix chunks of wood and wood chips in their lump, would handfuls of wood pellets work also. Thanks.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yes. I use the oak pellets with brisket and beef ribs. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    when im smoking turkey i have used pecan pellets with good results scattering them in during the cook. you need to be careful with the source for true smoke flavor. i lifted this info off the web about treager pellets, they blend and flavor different base woods

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet 

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood

Maple 100% Maple wood

Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder

Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Simply tossing hand fulls of pellets in won't be effective. They are so small that they will fall through. I like to make a foil pouch full of pellets. Poke some holes in the top and lay it right over the smoldering coals. You'll get a good smoke from the pellets this way. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Sounds like it will be comparable to using chips
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options

If I am going to use pellets in my Egg, I put a few handfuls in one of these things.  I saw a guy using one in an XL at a contest 3 years ago so I tried it.  I was surprised how long the pellets lasted inside the tube.  It seemed like a sustained release for most of the rib cook (about 4 1/2 hours).  It's pictured with a mini-max but I've only used it in large kamados.

They are A-maze-N Smoke Tubes or something like that.  I think it's the same people that make that cold smoker.  

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2016
    Options

If I am going to use pellets in my Egg, I put a few handfuls in one of these things.  I saw a guy using one in an XL at a contest 3 years ago so I tried it.  I was surprised how long the pellets lasted inside the tube.  It seemed like a sustained release for most of the rib cook (about 4 1/2 hours).  It's pictured with a mini-max but I've only used it in large kamados.

They are A-maze-N Smoke Tubes or something like that.  I think it's the same people that make that cold smoker.  

I have the maze version of this smoker. It will provide hours of good quality smoke. 

I use it for cold smokes on the Egg, but it will surely work well for smoking low and slows on an Egg. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Chef Boy RC
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I have one of those a mazin smoke tubes I used on my traeger. The pellets I use are supposed to be what they say on the bag per the people on the pellet cooker forums.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    If you like it on your Traeger, you will like it on your BGE. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I watched a competitive rib competition on TV where Johnny Trigg laughed because one of his opponents was using pellets.  He said something similar to "Whenever I see a guy using pellets, I know he is no competition at all."  Every since, I can't bring myself to use pellets.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia