Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions Requested: Best Dizzy Pig Rub(s) for Pork Chops?

Options
After reading all of the rave reviews on this forum regarding all of the DP rubs, I broke down and ordered their sampler pack. I already tried the Raising the Steaks this past weekend, and loved it.  Tonight, I'm doing some lean boneless thick cut pork chops.  I have 3 chops, and plan to use a different rub on each.  I'd appreciate the opinions of those who have used the DP product on chops as to which 3 I should use.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i love most of their stuff so i say pick the one you like the best and use it.  as for me with pork, i usually prefer the dizzy dust and swamp venom mixed together.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1 on dizzy dust.

But, be adventurous. There isn't just one option.  Shaking the tree is a solid lemon pepper blend.  Raging river is gold. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,335
    Options
    I agree with the majority. Dizzy Dust
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    +1 on dizzy dust.

But, be adventurous. There isn't just one option.  Shaking the tree is a solid lemon pepper blend.  Raging river is gold. 
    Definitely agree. There are so many great craft seasonings on the market. Try something new. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    TEggSun said:
    After reading all of the rave reviews on this forum regarding all of the DP rubs, I broke down and ordered their sampler pack. I already tried the Raising the Steaks this past weekend, and loved it.  Tonight, I'm doing some lean boneless thick cut pork chops.  I have 3 chops, and plan to use a different rub on each.  I'd appreciate the opinions of those who have used the DP product on chops as to which 3 I should use.

Yes
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Use Raging River and glaze them with maple syrup and butter.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Raging River or Red-eye Express
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    DMW said:
    Raging River or Red-eye Express
    +1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    +1 on Pineapple Head, but I'd also suggest Bayouish.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Pineapple head
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Jamaican firewall for some island flare.  Add a mango salsa and its money.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input.  I think I'm going with three different rubs/combinations.  I will report back on results.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Jamaican firewall for some island flare.  Add a mango salsa and its money.
    Yep, this one or Raging River.  Also a fan of Pineapple Head.

NOLA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Raging River is great on salmon, but I wouldn't want it on a pork chop.  You need something more manly on pork.  I'd go with Swamp Venom, Jamaican Firewalk, or PineappleHead. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    We've been using the ghost pepper seasoning and love it on pork or beef. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hub said:
    Raging River is great on salmon, but I wouldn't want it on a pork chop.  You need something more manly on pork.  I'd go with Swamp Venom, Jamaican Firewalk, or PineappleHead. 

Something manly like Pineapple Head?
    NOLA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Hub said:

Manly in a @tarheelmatt kinda way. 

Little Rock, AR

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Any of them

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TEggSun
    Options
    Well, the chops were a fail, and it had nothing to do with the rubs and everything to do with execution.  I think I'm done with boneless loin chops.  I need to find a butcher who does double bone in chops.

• TEggSun
    Options
    By the way, I went with a Dizzy Pig/Swamp Venom on one (nice flavor profile), Raging River on another (stellar), and Shaking the Trees on the last one.  DP makes a nice product overall.

• DMW
    Options
    TEggSun said:
    Well, the chops were a fail, and it had nothing to do with the rubs and everything to do with execution.  I think I'm done with boneless loin chops.  I need to find a butcher who does double bone in chops.
    How thick were they, how did you cook them, and what internal temp did you pull them off at? We can figure this out, boneless chops can be really good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEggSun
    Options
    @DMW, they seemed ideal.  They were about 1.5" thick.  I cooked them direct at about 450 degrees on a cast iron grid.  I pulled them at 135 IT.  My timing was bad, so they ended up resting for about 25 minutes.  I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    While you are exploring the various Dizzy Pig flavors, don't forget you can also combine them into a limitless number of equally exciting flavors.  For example, use the normal amount of Cow Lick for a really great steak, but by adding just a touch of Red Eye gives it a subtle hint of 'something else' without changing the overall Cow Lick flavor.

As you can imagine, the possibilities are endless, especially if you are among those who like to experiment.

Don't you just love being an Egghead...

Spring "Limited Only By My Imagination" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Nobody has given any love to Mediteranianish.  Give it a try.  It's gooooood.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    TEggSun said:
    @DMW, they seemed ideal.  They were about 1.5" thick.  I cooked them direct at about 450 degrees on a cast iron grid.  I pulled them at 135 IT.  My timing was bad, so they ended up resting for about 25 minutes.  I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
    What was the problem?  I'm guessing a decent center surrounded by some tough, overcooked pork.  On something that thick I would suggest doing a reverse sear - roast at around 275-300 until the IT hits about 10 degrees below where you want it when you're done.  Then let the egg come up to 450 and sear on each side until you hit your final temp.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Redeye hands down!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DMW
    Options
    Acn said:
    TEggSun said:
    What was the problem?  I'm guessing a decent center surrounded by some tough, overcooked pork.  On something that thick I would suggest doing a reverse sear - roast at around 275-300 until the IT hits about 10 degrees below where you want it when you're done.  Then let the egg come up to 450 and sear on each side until you hit your final temp.
    This.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Happy Nancy is a new DP rub that I like, its pretty mild so good for if kids are eating too
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Hub said:

Absolutely! Pineapple Head is very manly, but in a fruit/citrus kind of way.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia