Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A surf and turf question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning to serve filet mignons and lobster tails for New Years eve. Can I cook the tails on the BGE or should I stick with my tried and true stove top pot of boiling water? If egged, what temps and tricks can you folks give me?
BTW in spite of record setting snow for the month my trusty snow shovel has helped keep my eggs in regular use. I start a four day eggin memu tonight of pizza, baby backs Sat, filets Sun, and chili on New Years Monday, which is a family tradition. Egg on, Brothers and Sisters, egg on!

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]I'll be doing filet and lobster tails myself for N'Year's Eve. Check out this recipe from our old buddy Houndog on the K forum. I will be attempting this one for the first time myself based on all the accolades I've heard about it.
    How can this not be great??[p]K~G

[ul][li]Lobster tails ceramique[/ul]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    KennyG,I just read through that Dwell in The Shell recipe![p]Man o Man!, that sounds incredible......I too am doing New Years Dinner, as well as Butt right now and Chicken wings tonight..(yes folks, I know I`m wearing out the chicken wing thing)..
    We were going to do Ribeyes and shrimp but after reading this I don`t know.....
    Thanks,
    Roger!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    Houndog is a good fella and a great cook. I have done his recipe and followed his directions exactly. Lemme tell ya it don't git much betta!![p]hey Roger, you planning on ripping off a chunk of that butt after it's done?? Gonna be tough to save the whole thing for tomorrow.
    happy new year
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Nature Boy, LOL, you got that right buddy, I`m gonna make myself a sandwich for sure!.......Just to make sure it`s , well, you know, ok![p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Mop,
    I learned dis from me mother and me grandma.....A good cook always tests his/her own creations and tests, and tests, and tests, and tests, and tests............:-)))[p]You git de idea![p]Dr. Chicken

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    KennyG,
    Follow the directions exactly. I tried to vary the ingredients twice and was disappointed both times. Also, don't add any wood; I learned that the hard way also.... Bone appétit! JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Mop,
    Here is another wing recipe, from my cookbook, that always gets rave reviews. I'll admit that I usually do them in my convection oven, on baking sheets, so that I can do 10 pounds at a time. They can be cooked, indirect, on the BGE.[p]Mrs. Dog’s Chicken Wings (Great on breasts too!)[p]· 5 lbs. chicken wings
    · 5 Tbls. olive oil
    · 3-4 Tbls. Mrs Dog’s Jamaican Jerk Marinade
    · 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese[p]• In a large bowl mix oil and jerk, add wings and marinate 2-24 hours -The LONGER the HOTTER...! Add cheese and mix well. See note below.[p]• Clean up is a snap if you cook these on those disposable/reusable aluminum pans with VVVV ridges (for broiling). Bake at 375° for about 40 minutes, turning once if necessary. Greatif done the day before & reheated on the BGE. [p] NOTE: I actually roll each wing in a bowl containing the Parmesan cheese.[p]Bone appétit! JCA[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    Julie,[p]Thanx for the headsup. What size tails did you do. The recipe calls for 1 pounders, but the ones I have are 7-8 oz. I am wondering if the temp or minutes per side should be adjusted for the smaller size.[p]K~G

• KennyG, eggscellent question as I'm in the same boat. Also what did he mean about cutting the clear membrane off the belly of the tail exposing the meat? Mine sure aren't clear and they have the heavy strong ribs across them...is that the membrance referenced? Won't the meat fall out then?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    one feral kat,
    The meat won't fall out, and you are talking about the right thing. A pair of kitchen shears works great, just cut thru the ribs the length of the tail. I would definitely ajust the times slightly from Houndog's 1 pounders. the last thing you want to do is overcook 100 bucks of lobster.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy, thanks for the info...though momma kat had better not spent THAT much! ^oo^~

• KennyG
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]I'm gonna try 3 minutes per side at 400* for the 1/2 pounders. It should be apparent at flip time as to whether or not this will be enough. This cook might give me an anxiety attack. Fortunately, this is a dutch treat meal for 4 couples.[p]K~G