Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I do wrong? (Brisket on LBGE)

I smoked my first brisket on my LBGE last week. I followed the Franklin method. I started out with an 11 pounder. I trimmed the fat some, trying to maintain the 1/4 fat cap. I added the rub and it sat out on my counter for bout 1 1/2 hours. I got my grill temp steady holding 250. I was expecting to cook 11 to 12 hours. To my surprise, it was done in 6 1/2 hours. It tasted great but was dry by the time my guest arrived. Why did it cook so fast?

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I don't see any way that was actually done. I think you needed at least 4 more hours.  Where did you probe it? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Or your grill temp is off by about 100. Have you calibrated your thermometer? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• It was probed in the flat and the temp was 203 when I pulled it. I let it rest for 30 40 min and then cut a few slices and it tasted great. but the longer it sat, the dryer it got. I did wrap it in foil and let it set in my oven until supper time. I still cant figure out why it cooked fast.
  • not since last December before my first cook.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lean beef and the egg. Things cook faster in the egg. Lean brisket will not stall as long as fatty brisket b
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited July 2016
    Sliced brisket will dry out before your very eyes.  Next time slice on demand and that will help.  
    Since we don't know the post-trim weight I will offer the following, of late I have had them cook (Costco Prime packers) at a pace of around 0.7 hrs /lb with about 250-270*F on the calibrated dome.  The cow drives the cook and the key is the probe like buttah feel in the thickest part of the flat which you had.
    BTW-I would check the dome thermo calibration-I always check it before any L&S cook.  It's the one indicator you have regarding the cook.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited July 2016
    lousubcap said:
    ... of late I have had them cook (Costco Prime packers) at a pace of around 0.7 hrs /lb with about 250-270*F on the calibrated dome...
    Interesting comment.  A friend cooked one over the weekend - he was expecting (based on my advice) an hour or more per pound.  He should have asked you instead of me, because his experience matched what you are saying. And the brisket was ready way before he expected.
    New Orleans LA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Was the point in good?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Dondgc I wish I knew the deal but this has been consistent for several cooks.  I am now planning for around 0.8 hrs/lb with a fudge factor and then riding the FTC til ready to serve.  Friggin cow-still the most fun cook you can have.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Im cooking my very first competition next week. the brisket turn in is @ 1:30, how much time should I allow?
  • I cooked a little flat this weekend 3.5lb ... Set the dome to 245 and it took from 10am till 6pm ... At 6 I had fat side temp at 192 and skinny side at 199 ... FTC for another hour and she tasted pretty darn good, super juicey and had a nice little smoke ring ... Great bark!! All in the meat fellas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Briskest are individuals.  The end point is probing like butter.  A couple weeks ago I egged a SRF gold brisket.  Took half the time I'd planned to be in the 190's running 260.  FTC worked great.  Next time I'll try burnt ends on the point.  The flat was outstanding.  For me, always best to cook a full packer, but I'm no brisket God!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Im cooking my very first competition next week. the brisket turn in is @ 1:30, how much time should I allow?

I cook in a vertical gravity feed smoker in competitions. I put my brisket on at 10:00 PM at 250 degrees. I wrap at 4:00 AM and bump the temp up to 275. It is usually done at about 8:00 to 9:00 AM. I vent to stop the cooking and put it in the cambro at that point until box building time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    My Costco briskets have been cooking quicker than I am used to.  Put them on at 11PM and they are done at 6 or 7 in the morning. The last one I had for lunch instead of dinner.  I just FTC until ready to eat.  Previous briskets have taken 16 hours.  I am going to try putting my next one on early in the morning of the day I want to have it for dinner.  The whole packers i have been getting from Costco are usually about 12-15lbs before trimming.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI